Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the opportunity to spend a gift certificate and I thought Conan looked well made and pretty, but the issue is that I'm typically not a huge fan of massive war gaming, nor of big box "Ameri-Trash" games with lots of bits and unnecessary extra rules (like Arkham Horror and Age Of Mythology). While I recognize this as something I could turn around and trade away if I hated it... I also would use that opportunity to spend my money elsewhere.

Goa, Kingsburg, Yspahan, Tribune, Puerto Rico, Torres, Power Grid, and Ra where all big hits in my group, Caylus and Agricola were not (neither was Dominion, but that's because we all play Magic and found it waaay too easy).

Any opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased CONAN last week, read the instructions, and tinkered with it a bit to get a feel for the rules and gameplay. I have not played a "live" game yet. However, here are my thoughts:

* It sort of reminds me of WARRIOR KNIGHTS (although, there are plenty of differences between the two games).

* I love the components - - nice plastic miniatures, a variety of cards, and tokens representing gold and other things.

* More than one path to victory.

* I think it would be awesome with 3 or 4 players, but would be a bit less interesting with only 2.

* I don't think it has unnecessary extra rules. The rules are pretty simple once you get the hang of them. I'd say about 25% of the rule book is actually "rules" and the other 75% is in-depth explanations and examples of the rules.

I can't wait to play a "real" game because I think it will be very enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall04 wrote:
I'd suggest you wait for more reviews or choose another game. Sounds like this isn't really your genre, so why force it because it is a new hyped game?

The thread title should really let the reader know that I'm well aware of the fact hyped games do not necessarily equate "good." I have a set of parameters about how I can spend my GC, and Conan happens to fall into that. I reluctantly am considering it, and was hoping by coming on to recommendations board I could get some clearer vision as the current reviews over on the Conan boards are so wildly all over the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Erickson
United States
Winona
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would hold off. Just don't think it would fit your group. I would look more towards things like Tikal, Mexica and Java. Really do think that would fit better with your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hearing mixed reviews of the game and I am exactly the type of player they want to market to (ameritrash fan, Robert E Howard fan, miniatures fan, FFG fan, lover of light wargames, etc. etc.)

Play before you buy, or wait for more ddetailed reviews and opinions appear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good game, and may will enjoy it.

However, for you, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. After looking at your ratings, I'm thinking that you'd prefer OTHER games far more than this one.

So, yes it's a good game, there is hype, but regardless, it's still a pretty good game. There are others that are better. There are Many that are worse.

But for you, I don't think it's your type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought the game! I've heard a lot about it recently. I hope it's great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
HauRuck wrote:

You gave TWILIGHT IMPERIUM 3RD EDITION a 1...? That means you think its an utterly broken game.

Um, I must agree with HauRuck here - I don't understand your rating system - I'm guessing its an "independent" 1-10 system rather than Aldie's system of "game is broken".

On the TI:3 point, I'm not sure I understand how feeling you didn't understanding it but still winning makes it broken, but maybe our definitions are different. Obviously, I am a fan (gave it a 9 in fact)

Either way, as far as Conan goes, I wasn't that keen - a series of bad dice rolls can put you well out of the game and capable of at best spoiler tactics and at worst kingmaking.

Its systems are good and the attempt to create a semi-independent Conan works well, though.

Read as many views as you can and all the best whatever you decide.

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Clicked on this out of curiosity since I am interested in Conan as well.

I haven't played it but the consensus seems to be that it is not a good fit. Since you share some favorites our group (Magic & Goa) you might check out Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game instead. It is another game with some hype, but it lived up to it in our group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah my rating of the "1" for Twilight Empirium is largely because of my miserable experiences with it. When you are a playtester of a game, win or are second place each time you play it... and still don't completely understand the rules... it's a "I'd rather pull my eyes out with a bag of baby leeches." I used to have it more as a 3-4 range... but then I realized it's the only game I have ever gone out of my way never to play again. I'm pretty open minded too.

Anyway, personal preferences...

Thanks for all of the response guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
As an aside, at the club this week a whole table of four people played thropugh the whole game, out of spite it seems, because they absolutely hated it.

All four of them

Hated it.

I know this because one of them had to leave early and I sat in on the last turn.

The reasont hey hated it was, it seems, because it was dull.

Not broken, not idiotic, but dull.

Take what you like from that anecdote - but opinion seems to be split down the middle.

I personally would not buy it, having played it two times. I can't see me choosing it above, say, Supernova, for a game of this length and complexity.

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.