Popular Tags: [View All]
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the multiplayer rules to Call of Cthulhu LCG.
I am not sure I am happy with them...

Everyone having there own Storyline set (which is identical to the other players sets) seems very odd to me. Would it have not been easier to simply have different color tokens for each player to place on the story cards? Does the CCG handle it in the same way?

Also, would there not be a very serious first player advantage with these rules? Every player drawns 2 cards on thier first turn. With three could you not - 1st 0 cards, 2nd 1 card, 3rd 2cards.

I love everything else about this game, but these rules just seem OFF to me.

I will have to try them out before making a final judgement...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
dturnerfish wrote:
Everyone having there own Storyline set (which is identical to the other players sets) seems very odd to me.

Yeah, I always felt that part was dumb. We've never played by it. We always just use your suggestion of having different score tokens to be able to tell at a glance.

dturnerfish wrote:
Also, would there not be a very serious first player advantage with these rules?

Well the first player has a slight advantage, but not much of one. Remember, nobody gets a story phase on the first turn through.

dturnerfish wrote:
Every player drawns 2 cards on thier first turn. With three could you not - 1st 0 cards, 2nd 1 card, 3rd 2cards.

I have no idea what you mean by this. Are you talking about your domains? If so, you can't do that. You must put one resources under each domain. Of course, that's a rule all the time, and has nothing to do specifically with multiplayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the new multiplayer rules different in concept than the original multiplayer rules?

I've only played twice with three players, but I remember them as really fun games. When one player achieves a game advantage, the other two combine in interesting and subtle ways to resist the leader.

Our multiplayer games were unusually long for the above reason.

Do try them out.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:

dturnerfish wrote:
Every player drawns 2 cards on thier first turn. With three could you not - 1st 0 cards, 2nd 1 card, 3rd 2cards.

I have no idea what you mean by this. Are you talking about your domains? If so, you can't do that. You must put one resources under each domain. Of course, that's a rule all the time, and has nothing to do specifically with multiplayer.

Thank for your response!

What I meant was:

In a three player game, for the first turn only.
The first player would draw 0 Cards Instead of 2
The Second player would draw 1 Card Instead of 2
The Third player would draw 2 cards.

It is just a thought to remove the first player advantage. But then I have not played by the rules yet.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hallstrom
United States
Indiantown
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think the multiplayer CoC has ever worked really well. Maybe people should work towards making it better instead of using the rules given by FFG?

Not a multiplayer game in my opinion at this time. It turns into screwing over the person winning (a la Munchkin).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
dturnerfish wrote:
In a three player game, for the first turn only.
The first player would draw 0 Cards Instead of 2
The Second player would draw 1 Card Instead of 2
The Third player would draw 2 cards.

It is just a thought to remove the first player advantage. But then I have not played by the rules yet...

That seems a little unnecessarily unfair to the first player. I really don't think they have as much of an advantage in multiplayer as you seem to think they do.

Sacuraf wrote:
I don't think the multiplayer CoC has ever worked really well. Maybe people should work towards making it better instead of using the rules given by FFG?

On the contrary, I've been playing multiplayer on and off since the game began and I've always thought it works very nicely. Whenever we have an odd number of players at our game night, we usually just end up playing multiplayer anyway. The only caveat is that we end up playing fewer games because multiplayer is *much* longer.

The only rule we ever changed was you don't keep your story cards after being won, you merely track your total. And the story cards go back into the deck to be brought back out again. In that way, everyone has equal shot at stories and you won't run out of them.

Sacuraf wrote:
Not a multiplayer game in my opinion at this time. It turns into screwing over the person winning (a la Munchkin).

It really doesn't have enough of a mechanism for doing that. Sure, the other two players will concentrate more heavily on the leader, but that person still generally remains the leader unless they play stupidly. The fact that you can only have one person defend pretty much ensures that you can't beat up on the leader too badly.

So then it becomes a very interesting balance of who can be the number 2 spot (with the obvious goal of trying to win out in the end). And then the lower people start vying for position, inevitably leaving the "leader" more open to winning. Its very interesting all around, and not even remotely like Munchkin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.