Popular Tags: [View All]
CM Amidon
United States
Hancock
Michigan
flag msg tools
Isle Royale NP
badge
GO CRAWL IN A CAVE! When not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a Splash & Dash Review?

This is my term for a game that has no reviews (what a shame!). This Splaash & Dash review attempts to fill that void.

The Good:
This trivia game has a very interactive game play. You can lose insignia (a wedge in Trivial Pursuit) and also steal insignia from other players. A good mix of easy-difficult questions (though level of difficulty is never identified) makes it so you never feel like you don't know anything.

The Bad:
As the trivia is all about Star Trek. Non-Trekkies rarely enjoy this game. A few questions are poorly edited--text is missing and questions don't always make sense in non-multiple choice format.

Overall:
Is this a great game? No. Is this a pretty good game? Yes. For you Trekkies out there, absolutely pick this game up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Van Vorst
United States
Spencer
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good review, but it left me with some questions. I know the object here was to sort of give a quick and dirty rundown on the game, but at least toss in a few of the gaming dynamics. For instance, are the 4 shows used for trivia purposes each played as separate categories or portions of the board? Or are all the questions mixed up? How close in gameplay does this come to standard Trivial Pursuit? How detailed and sturdy are the starship playing pieces?

To its credit your review piqued my interest and led to me checking the game out on the database here, and thus accomplished what it set out to do. Definitely a game I will check out since there are more than a few Trekkies in the family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Amidon
United States
Hancock
Michigan
flag msg tools
Isle Royale NP
badge
GO CRAWL IN A CAVE! When not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few answers to your questions. Glad my quickie review piqued someone's interest!

Pieces: 4 starships, One ship for each main ship of the 4 series (USS Enterprise, USS Enterprise-D, USS Defiant, USS Voyager). Plastic. Moderate quality--good ship representation and detail. The "insignia" you earn when answering a question correctly snaps onto the bottom of each playing piece ship. It looks sharp when you have four multi-colored insignias beneath your ship. Pieces have held up well, except, after a few years, the insignia no longer snap into the ships. Sigh.

Board set up: It is broken into 4 quadrants, one for each of the 4 series. Only when your ship is in the quadrant of a specific series can you earn the corresponding insignia. Trivia spaces of all 4 series are scattered throughout the entire board, not just confined to the series' quadrant. Good Quality

Questions: 4 trivia decks, one for each series. Other than the annoying typos (hello, editing anyone?) the cards are high-quality and look sharp. There are 5 categories: Lifeforms, Tricorder Readings, Astrometrics, Temporal Anomalies, and Queue Continuum

Gameplay: Similar to Trivial Pursuit (rolling a die, and answering questions). However, because of Borg, Wormhole, Q, and Challenge spaces, there's quite a bit of added, interesting action. You can lose insignia and steal them from your opponents (how un-Star Trek!).

Thanks for the interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Newell
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have to say that I really like this game.
I do agree that non-trekkies will despise it.
However! If you are deeply in to your Star Trek knowledge then this game will provide you with a satisfying challenge :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.