Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my buddy had been laid off about a month ago, and he's been aggressively hunting for his next position. Today he had a last minute job interview. He emailed me how it went, and this is definitely something for the geek...

------------------------------------------------
I went into the room. The job is with a claims law firm only 30 minutes from me. It's a cut in the annual salary, but they pay full benefits and there is an opportunity for a bonus as well as generous raises. One of the partners went to my law school, and instantly loves everything I'm saying.

The other partner is suspicious, and wants to know why I won't just leave when the economy picks up. He's really grilling me. A lot of questions about my previous salary, my previous work, and why I wouldn't want to go back to it.

Then we get to the soft part of the interview. The woman with whom
I'd be working asks me what I do for fun. I say I love TV and watch a
lot of it. Jerk-partner rolls his eyes in disgust. "Tv Rots your brains," he says.

"What else do you do?" The woman asks. "You must do something besides watch TV."

"I play European strategy based board games."

Immediately, the guy who was being a huge stickler perks up.

"Like Puerto Rico?"

"And Settlers, Stone Age, Ticket to Ride, and Agricola."

"Don't you think this table would make an awesome game setup?"

"Yeah, this would be sweet for twilight imperium."

Then the partner who already was on my side and the woman interrupt our nerd fest by trying to get us back to more pressing topics. "You're not going to bill and play at the same time," woman says jokingly.

"Well, all I'll say to that is someone's got to make sure we have enough food at the harvest."

And that was how we ended the interview.
------------------------------------------------

So yea, I'm psyched for him, cuz it sounds like this one's in the bag. I'll let ya know how it works out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scolari
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well at least I know that this hobby will be good for something done the line...Anyways, Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great surprise that would be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Except everyone geek knows Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) isn't a Euro! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might have been in the bag until the "jerk partner" reads this and if he knows these games of ours there is a good chance he visits this site. Posting this here could cost your friend the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
Might have been in the bag until the "jerk partner" reads this and if he knows these games of ours there is a good chance he visits this site. Posting this here could cost your friend the job.

Rofl

I think he is quite lucky. And it is awesome regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:

Hopefully "jerk partner" has a sense of humor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I was, thinking this was some discussion on how the recession would be over here in Iceland if we ditched the ISK (Icelandic Krona) and started using the Euro currency.

Well that's what some people think anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The aftermath:

Well, jerk-partner doesn't actually check BGG, so he's safe on that. I made sure to clear it with my buddy before posting. He said it was obscure enough that if it did implicate him, he'd figure out a way to talk his way out of it.

But as it turns out, my buddy did some more research on the firm, and he decided it really wasn't the opportunity for him. I guess that while able to talk Euro's with the new boss is appealing, you still really have to enjoy the work as well.

So yea, if anyone needs a lawyer barred in both New York and Washington DC, and who has relevant experience in structured finance, let me know. I've got the man for you. And he'll crack Agricola jokes while he's billing you, so you can feel like yer getting yer moneys worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Teravos wrote:
I guess that while able to talk Euro's with the new boss is appealing, you still really have to enjoy the work as well.

That's crazy talk. Games are more important than work. Your friend clearly needs to rethink his priorities!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
russ wrote:
Teravos wrote:
I guess that while able to talk Euro's with the new boss is appealing, you still really have to enjoy the work as well.

That's crazy talk. Games are more important than work. Your friend clearly needs to rethink his priorities!

That depends on what the winning conditions are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
russ wrote:
Teravos wrote:

That depends on what the winning conditions are.

Everyone who plays games regularly wins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Guay
Canada
Memramcook
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for sharing this story. Very uplifting to see people connect that way when it really matters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
Teravos wrote:
The aftermath:
So yea, if anyone needs a lawyer barred in both New York and Washington DC, and who has relevant experience in structured finance, let me know.

My first thought when I read this was, man, what'd he do to get banned from Washington AND New York? Then I realized what you ment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
dbucak wrote:
Teravos wrote:
The aftermath:
So yea, if anyone needs a lawyer barred in both New York and Washington DC, and who has relevant experience in structured finance, let me know.

My first thought when I read this was, man, what'd he do to get banned from Washington AND New York? Then I realized what you ment.

"Barred" does seem a rather ambiguous verb indeed... I too did a double-take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I wasn't the only one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.