Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: Modified Taster rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say "Fixed Taster" but I know how problematic such language can be aorund these parts.

A lot of folks think the Taster is overpowered (Pay 1 food to the starting player to place your family member first; proceed as normal). Scot Fasnacht had a pretty good idea in a thread on the Taster to power it down by having the player gain the first action with his first family member rather than his last (as the rules prescribe). I liked the idea so much that I went ahead and created a new version of the card with his suggestion in place:

Scott's original idea (with a good explanation of how problematic the Taster can be) can be found at the bottom of the first page of this thread here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/388265

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kingsbury
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Really good idea and exactly what i proposed last night when i felt overpowered by the taster sitting to my left. Even then i think its incredibly powerful as there is no defence to it and if you despoerately need the first action there is nothing you can do. Maybe pay the taster 1 to go ahead of them as start player?

Like your graphics and card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I mentioned in that thread, for a 5 player game, someone who is 5th would have to wait until everyone else played two people before they could place their second (First and tenth placement). Why would anyone EVER want to play it then?

I would rather just remove it from the game than make a change that would make the card completely useless, IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert,

How often have you found yourself in a game of Agricola just wishing that you had the starting player marker for that one resource grab or first family growth action? I would gladly take 1st and 10th on one turn if it allowed me to grow my family before anyone else...

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwridge wrote:
Robert,

How often have you found yourself in a game of Agricola just wishing that you had the starting player marker for that one resource grab or first family growth action? I would gladly take 1st and 10th on one turn if it allowed me to grow my family before anyone else...

Brian

Maybe, but I don't see playing it just in case that situation comes up. I'd rather spend the action playing the taster for something else than the rare case that I might need it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still favour* altering the cost - pay 1 food for each person you 'jump'
So second place player pays one food, third ;pays two, and so on.

*Well, I would, seeing as it was my idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fasnacht
msg tools
rmartinc wrote:
As I mentioned in that thread, for a 5 player game, someone who is 5th would have to wait until everyone else played two people before they could place their second (First and tenth placement). Why would anyone EVER want to play it then?

...because if they don't, that turn they have 5th and 10th pick instead of 1st and 10th. The other players get to go twice before your second peep either way, you know, so it's not like the 8 picks before you go again are something to be outraged about. Watch the qualitative difference between the 1st and 5th pick a few times when you're 5th player to act in a late round, and then tell me if you still don't think it's worth paying one food to gain that difference.

Jumping ahead even a few places late in the game when high-value actions are available will typically gain you more than 1 food can benefit you.

Some may feel this is underpowered, and it may be (I'm not claiming this is a perfect or even good solution in practice until I hear reports from users) - but on paper it doesn't look underpowered to me. Perhaps people only feel this because they are used to the dominance Taster has always brought in their games. The real difference with this version is instead of making one use of the card obviously advantageous, I've made you grind the advantage out over more uses, and more carefully consider how and when you should use the card to best effect. Before you would just auto-taste every turn basically, which IMO is a sure sign that something is broken - when you want to do it all the time with no tactical or strategic considerations at all.

That said, I look forward to reports from anyone who plays with the variant and gets to see it in action. Perhaps someone could stack the cards (or draft would work) to see how it plays w/o waiting for it to come up naturally. I'm sure we'd all be appreciative of some initial feedback to go on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.