Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting little wrinkle occurred to me while observing a game tonight. Apollo was the Admiral because dear old dad turned out to be a skinjob. The Cylon attack card that includes the special rule "Training New Pilots" came up. (Unmanned vipers suffer a -2 to attack rolls.) Apollo launched in one of the vipers launched by the attack card and took his action. If he uses that action to CAG, then the unmanned vipers activate before the special rule kicks in, thus avoiding the penalty to the roll, right?

Similarly, if he launches in response to Thiry-Three and uses the action to nuke the basestar, then the special rule comes into effect after the basestar is destroyed, and thus the card wouldn't be discarded yet...right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this could potentially work. Since the text of the action is "whenever it's placed in a space area from the reserves" you should be able to launch. However, I would kinda be concerned about the order placement of ships. I think you could possibly get into a debate over whether or not the steps 1-4 happen all at once, as in "These 4 things happen now" or "This one, Then This one, Then This one, Then This one." If the actions do happen one at a time, then I think the CAG action would work just fine.

This second question sort of reinforces the question I had above. Which ships come down first? If the viper does, then the basestar isnt around to be nuked, so you're technically launched and should do your action at that EXACT second. If the basestar comes first, then the viper comes down and at THAT second you launch and can take the action. It's really up to how you see the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
An interesting little wrinkle occurred to me while observing a game tonight. Apollo was the Admiral because dear old dad turned out to be a skinjob. The Cylon attack card that includes the special rule "Training New Pilots" came up. (Unmanned vipers suffer a -2 to attack rolls.) Apollo launched in one of the vipers launched by the attack card and took his action. If he uses that action to CAG, then the unmanned vipers activate before the special rule kicks in, thus avoiding the penalty to the roll, right?

On a strict interpretation of the rules I'd say you are correct since the rules state that the steps on the crisis card are to be done in order. Personally, I'd say that the spirit of the rules would be that special rules take effect immediately but that would be my preference.

Quote:
Similarly, if he launches in response to Thiry-Three and uses the action to nuke the basestar, then the special rule comes into effect after the basestar is destroyed, and thus the card wouldn't be discarded yet...right?

Thirty-Three requires a basestar to be destroyed for that Cylon attack card and since Apollo destroyed one during that attack the card is discarded since the prerequisite would have already been fulfilled during that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would disagree with your reasoning. I believe the special rules take effect immediately.

Once you play the card I think all the steps will take place in order, at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules point out that there are 3 steps for executing Cylon attack cards:

1. Activate Existing Ships
2. Setup
3. Special Rules

In the setup phase, a bunch of ships appear simultaneously. Then Apollo takes his action since he just launched. Then I think the special rules kick in.

Quote:
Thirty-Three requires a basestar to be destroyed for that Cylon attack card and since Apollo destroyed one during that attack the card is discarded since the prerequisite would have already been fulfilled during that turn.

But the special rule says: Leave this card in play until a basestar or civvie is destroyed, not "Leave this card in play unless you just destroyed a basestar." It really means, "from now on, as soon as you destroy a basestar, remove this card from play". I mean, if you nuke a basestar on your turn and then draw thirty-three, would you get rid of it right away since you destroyed one that turn? I think that's not the right interpretation of the rules.

Now, it does all come down to whether Apollo's action comes between phases 2 and 3 of the Cylon attack card, or after that process is done. So, either (assuming it happens between 2 and 3):

1. Apollo can CAG just before Training New Pilots kicks in and avoid the penalty for those attacks, AND

2. On the "Besieged" card, Apollo can attack the 4 raiders just placed before they activate from the special rule, AND

3. If Apollo nukes a Basestar in response to Thirty-Three, the condition to discard it has not yet been met.

Or else (assuming it happens just after 3):

1. Apollo can only CAG just after Training New Pilots kicks in and gets the penalty for those attacks, AND

2. On the "Besieged" card, Apollo cannot attack the 4 raiders just placed before they activate from the special rule, AND

3. If Apollo nukes a Basestar in response to Thirty-Three, the condition to discard it has been met.

More interestingly, what if Apollo uses his action to XO someone who jumps the fleet? Do the "Keep this card in play until the fleet jumps" special rules apply to the current jump cycle and thus end immediately, or do they apply to the next one (which could seriously nerf them)?

I'd really like to hear an official ruling on exactly when Apollo's action happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my ruling would be all 3 phases get done one after another. I don't believe Apollo's THAT quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also a fan of:

HEAVY ASSAULT
1. Activate (well, nothing was on the board anyway)
2. Setup (Apollo launches and gets an action)
Action -> "XO on the Admiral!" (no XO has been played this turn)
Admiral -> I nuke both Basestars, with two strategic plannings
3. Profit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
I'm also a fan of:

HEAVY ASSAULT
1. Activate (well, nothing was on the board anyway)
2. Setup (Apollo launches and gets an action)
Action -> "XO on the Admiral!" (no XO has been played this turn)
Admiral -> I nuke both Basestars, with two strategic plannings
3. Profit!
Only thing that would top that is if the next crisis card was yet ANOTHER cylon attack Although only partially , as only one of the basestars would return.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: I e-mailed FFG directly and just got a response from Corey:

Quote:

Technically Apollo's ability is resolve during step 2 of the card. You are correct in assuming that this would allow him to take an action before the special ability is applied.

I hope that this answers your question!
-Corey Konieczka
Fantasy Flight Games
Design and Development

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.