Adam P. McIver
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Set in the Wild West, you take on the role of a gunslinger trying to take control of town. You could do this by force with your posse, by finance with high-stakes poker or a combination of the two.

As you inflict damage on your opponent, their deck and chip piles diminish. Face cards have special abilities that allow you to turn the odds in your favor.

Showdown Poker is for two or more players and is played with standard decks of playing cards and poker chips. It combines the gameplay and combat of traditional CCGs with the intensity and wagering of poker.

The playtest rules can be downloaded by joining the playtest group here: http://groups.google.com/group/projectgame-playtest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a CCG spinoff called Deadlands: Doomtown off of a western RPG called Deadlands you might want to take a look at. That IP used poker suits and cards like you are intending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a little like High Stakes Drifter, which in retrospect seems to have played a large role in killing WizKids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It always seemed to me that 'High Stakes Drifter' was an attempt to capture some of the 'Deadlands: Doomtown' fanbase left after Doomtown went out of production. Shane (the Deadlands writer) blogged at the time that WizKids was going to put out a new Doomtown-like ccg. High Stakes Drifter which came out shortly thereafter turned out to be really just a betting mechanic card game and a truly dull one at that. Really nothing like Doomtown at all

Sounds like the OP's game has a lot of similarities with Deadlands: Doomtown a very popular ccg in the late 90's and still with a small but active fan base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P. McIver
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a Doomtown player back in the 90's, and I assure you the similarities between that game and Showdown are next to non-existent. It is no more like either of the games mentioned than Bang or The Good, The Bad and the Munchkin. It shares only a setting.

Showdown Poker is only like a CCG in play style, in that there is card deployment, hand management and combat. Anyone with a standard deck of playing cards can play the game, so it is not collectible. I urge you to try it or at the very least read the rules before jumping to any conclusions.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Sperling
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, plus evil stevie did that Cow Poker game. I personally question the relevance of wild west games as they don't seem to sell all that well.

Good luck with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just downloaded the well-designed rules from the playtest group. Looks interesting, with elements of 100 Years War and Dueling Nobles (both games played with a standard deck of cards). If I can convince my wife, I'll give it a try soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P. McIver
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fibroptx wrote:
I just downloaded the well-designed rules from the playtest group. Looks interesting, with elements of 100 Years War and Dueling Nobles (both games played with a standard deck of cards). If I can convince my wife, I'll give it a try soon!

Thank you, Andy!

You can also view the BGG Entry here: Five Card Showdown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joep Fennema
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We playtested it tonight with our gaming-group and the overall experience was ok, but far from good. The basic rules are good, but it misses depth. We just didn't get the feeling of being there with a gang of cowboys shooting each other.

Also, noone would initiate a shootdown or a poker round, simply because the player next to the dealer (aka the player who would after this round) would be able to attack the player who initiated the poker. Of course, one can choose to use the abilities of ones henchmen, but why else would you initiate poker if you aren't sure you should/can win...

Furthermore, damage from the shootdown should be increased in our opinion. We have some idears for this. Damage from not blocking charakters should be to burn 2 cards. You can decrease this amount by one, by giving a chip to the one who shot you. Why? Well, in our game of five players, all (but one) were eliminated by poker. This is a pitty because in our opinion the shooting is the more thematic part and the poker should be less dominant.

Finally, this game could be so much better with a few additions. Contact me if you want to know. I can understand if you just want to keep the game the way it is...

To give you some indication of our group, it consists of people who have experience in designing games and are, overall, medium to serious gamers.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.