Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Vater
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gents,

i came across another unclassified Cold War document of the USAREUR Military History Office and found it to be a most intriguing read. The chapter on modern (well, the study was done in 1984) border operations (1970 - 1983) is quite detailed and there are some interesting pictures, maps and sketches to be seen.

http://www.history.army.mil/documents/BorderOps/ch6.htm

Enjoy the read!

Jan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc von Martial
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wierd looking at / reading all this stuff, when you actually witnessed it in reality. Seems very far away ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Vater
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very, very true. Even though i still can vividly remember my first visit to the GDR, the eastern part of Berlin seems so strikingly different today, i regularly find myself struggling to explain the bad old times to friends from abroad when they visit the city nowadays. When the wall came down in 1989, i was on vacation in Switzerland and there was an air of anxious expectation all around me. What would the Russians do? What would the Germans do? It's quite easy to forget the unease or even open concern some european countries showed at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc von Martial
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, those were really exciting times. I remember I was glued to the TV, even the TV spokesmen could not hide their excitement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.