Kaare Werner Storgaard
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to learn a bit of Adobe Air, so made a small app that finds the best games to play based on number of players and how much time you got.

The program retrieves one or more user collections from BGG, saves the collection(s) locally and makes it possible to search by number of players and timespan. It uses Adobe Air, so you'll need the Air framework from adobe http://get.adobe.com/air/.

When the program starts, you enter your BGG username on the "Settings" page, hit "Add", and your ready to search in your collection.

You can download the application here: http://kaarechr.dk/WhichGameTonight/index.html
Screenshot: http://files.getdropbox.com/u/3408/Projects/bgg-wgt/WhichGam...
And the source here (if interested): http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/3408/bgg/air-bgg-wgt.zip

Let me know what you think

// kaarechr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nicely done, and a good interface that is easy to understand and the searches are nice and quick.

I do have one question... When i load my games and then do a search, it only returns games that start with a number, or the letter A. Is it possibly not loading my entire (admittedly large) collection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaare Werner Storgaard
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

It seems that the csv parse chokes on the input. I'll do some more testing with your collection and upload a new version.

//kaarechr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco Ramorino
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Great application...
I'll tested a little with 3 user with i'll play tonight ... (Artemisa64, heatzap and me)

A suggestion or petition ... can you add some other filters? like min and max pleyers ... or other characteristics like category or mechanics?
Well and a filter for Games or expansion (i don´t know if its possible)

Really thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaare Werner Storgaard
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:

I do have one question... When i load my games and then do a search, it only returns games that start with a number, or the letter A. Is it possibly not loading my entire (admittedly large) collection?

Your collection should import correct now The problem was with new lines in comments.

//kaarechr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaare Werner Storgaard
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
framorin wrote:
Hey Great application...
I'll tested a little with 3 user with i'll play tonight ... (Artemisa64, heatzap and me)

Thanks Glad you like it!

framorin wrote:
A suggestion or petition ... can you add some other filters? like min and max pleyers ... or other characteristics like category or mechanics?
Well and a filter for Games or expansion (i don´t know if its possible)

I've looked a bit into it, and min/max players should be feasible to make, mechanics a bit harder, since the program needs to look up each game individually, and game/expansion is not possible at the moment, since (AFAIK) the bgg xmlapi doen't state either.

I will look into the two last though, since I've thought about those as well.

//kaarechr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Kirsch
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great little app, nice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
France
Annecy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool app! Please make an iPhone version!

pretty please? I'd pay for it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Swedlund
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool, I'd love to try it out.

However, when I download from your link to my Mac, I get a zipped folder, not an Adobe Air application. Unzipping the folder, I see the source files, but I'm not able to run it or get my Adobe AIR Application Installer to recognize it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaare Werner Storgaard
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esswedl wrote:
Sounds cool, I'd love to try it out.

However, when I download from your link to my Mac, I get a zipped folder, not an Adobe Air application. Unzipping the folder, I see the source files, but I'm not able to run it or get my Adobe AIR Application Installer to recognize it.

I'll upload a Adobe Air "badge" installer later tonight. That should work. I'll be very happy if you could send some screenshots from the program on mac and also if something behaves weirdly as well, since I don't have a mac atm.

Thanks.

// kaarechr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Swedlund
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, great, thanks!

I was just looking through the AIR developer site to see if I could guess what was going on. In fact, I was reading an article about the badge installer:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/air_badge_install_0...

The bottom section of this page is where I was looking. Perhaps it's something as simple as the web server's MIME type for .air files? That may not be something you can control where you posted the files.

I'll watch for your badge installer, and I'd be happy to send some screenshots from my Mac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaare Werner Storgaard
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Erik,

could you try this badge installer?

http://kaarechr.dk/bgg/index.html

Thanks.

// kaarechr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Swedlund
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That works, thanks!

I'll check back with more feedback after I play around with it. I'm pretty impressed at first glance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakendi wrote:
Cool app! Please make an iPhone version!

pretty please? I'd pay for it...

Well the free BGG app for iphone does this. However, it will only search your collection. Evidently this one can do your collection and others if you add them so that's a nice touch.

search for BoardGameGeek on appstore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaare Werner Storgaard
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbass wrote:
Well the free BGG app for iphone does this. However, it will only search your collection. Evidently this one can do your collection and others if you add them so that's a nice touch.

Nice, have to check that app out as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great and that iPhone app looks fantastic (though I haven't got one).
Unfortunately the app doesn't work for me (might be something on my work PC stopping it, will try at home).

For those of you who would like an alternative, try this Excel version which will also give you a printed list:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/38582

UPDATE: Works fine at home! Fantastic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaare Werner Storgaard
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
For those of you who would like an alternative, try this Excel version which will also give you a printed list:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/38582

UPDATE: Works fine at home! Fantastic!

Great it works on your home PC.

My inspiration was actually the spreadsheet, and since I wanted to learn some Adobe Air, I thought it was a nice project

I'll upload a new version tomorrow which only shows actual games and list its expansions beneath the respective game.

Next thing I'll do is category and mechanics, when I have the time.

//kaarechr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaare Werner Storgaard
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uploaded a new version which supports game/expansion, sorting of search result, username alias, and some bug fixes.

//kaarechr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaare Werner Storgaard
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uploaded a new version, which caches the thumbnails from BBG, better "best/recommended" matches (changed to XMLAPI for collection info instead of the CSV collection), always collect detailed game info when adding user, flush database on startup if the database structure was changed, and various fixes.

//kaarechr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaare Werner Storgaard
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uploaded a new major version with a lot of changes. To name a few; UI update, playlist, better sorting, weight criteria, and more.

You need to uninstall the old version before installing the new.

And as always, please post any comments, bugs, and requests
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The old version didn't do much for me (no box art was showing, and it wouldn't update the search results), but this one is absolutely terrific. My only suggestion: I would love to see a "best for X" and "recommended with X" option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaare Werner Storgaard
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steven,

glad you like it. At the moment the "player match" search option lists the games in best, recommended, and possible and if some games have the same match (more with best), the highest ranked will be shown first. But I could properly also show it with each game item. I'll definitely look into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
The weight criteria is only of little use for me:
Of my 160 or so games none meet your criteria for "heavy".

Is there any chance that I could define the limits for light, medium and heavy myself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.