Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Any Beginners Interested in Learning ASL? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just wondering if there are any beginners out there interested in ASL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmo Kramer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to learn the system. Right now I'm using ASLSK #1 to get things rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dan

I've played the basic Squad Leader a long time ago and I'm trying to find others that are interested in ASL and go through the learning curve with me. I've read section A and most of B but sometimes I find the best way to actually learn a game is to play it.

Anyways Dan if you have ASL on VASL (I've even downloaded the SK modules which I find are excellent scenarios to start with along with the paratroopers)and are interested in playing this is my email
jj.graham@yahoo.ca
Also I find it much easier communicating through Skype than typing.
Anyway just send me an email and we could set up a game and take it from there. I'm a beginner too when it comes to ASL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Cosmo

I'm trying to find people interested in learning ASL with me. I've played the basic Squad Leader a long time ago and would like to start learning ASL. It's kind of difficult to find others who are interested or have the time to devote in learning a game such as ASL.
If you have ASL on VASL and also if you have Skype for communication (better than typing all the time) that would be great.
My email address is jj.graham@yahoo.ca and if you want to send me an email to set up a playing time great. I'm retired so as far as hour are concerned I'm pretty flexible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmo Kramer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very interested James, I just need to find the time to get through the rules some more. I'm a teacher so during the school year I'm quite busy, but come summer I'll have plenty of time. I'd look forward to learning with another "newbie". I'll add your e-mail to my address book and keep me in mind as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, see you then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to gamesquad under the ASL folder there is a thread for rules questions, SK topics and finding opponents. People are very willing to help out and even vasl live or pbem new players.

I think pbem is a great way to learn the game because you have plenty of time to look up a rule question or learn some difficult rules based on a visual. The best way to learn for most people is visually, playing a game or 2 this way will allow these situations to present themselves naturally and you'll learn many rules better because you'll figure them out and see it played out in the file. Plus playing is more fun then memorizing a book which is very difficult to do.

Good teaching opponents will explain and reference rules for you to look up as you go along. Its also very good for firing and routing phases because each modifier can be broken down for you to see and rout paths can be explained if needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play ASL using VASL and in my case I like to use Skype in order to communicate with the individual I'm playing with instead of typing (I'm not a fast typer and I find it distracts from the game when your busy typing all the time)
If you go to the VASL website you will need to download the boards and the modules as well as any overlays. You need the rules and in most cases the scenarios (unless the other individual has the scenario)in order to play. You can play the scenarios on VASL in a solitary way in order to practice the rules or when nobody is available to play. I find that playing on VASL the setup time is quick since you don't have to go looking for all the little counters in the box. VASL has a lot to offer but I wouldn't compare it with playing on a table top since both methods have the strengths and weaknesses.
I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Davis
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Binko wrote:
Could you give a little more detail about how ASL is played by email? Wouldn't it take thousands of exchanges of email in order to allow for opportunity fire after every little move? Does PBEM ASL use modified rules?

VASL is excellent for PBeM, without modifying the rules in any way. In order to deal with the extreme interactiveness of the MPh/DFPh, you start recording a log file as you step through each step of your opponents log file. If you take a shot, you just announce the shot and roll the dice before moving to the next step in his logfile. When the opponent gets the file back he'll see his movement and all of the Defensive fire you inserted at the appropriate times. Many times the one moving will specify, "stop the file when you take a shot" or "stop the file if somebody steps into residual FP." Now of course, all of this assumes you trust your opponent not to cheat.

I'm always up for PBeM games, if anyone is interested to start learning ASL or learn how to play PBeM. I've only been playing since January.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, I am. I've been playing various boardgames that are beyond the traditional ones (such as Monopoly, Pictionary, Chess, Go, etc.) since about 1990 when I first received Axis and Allies in the late 80s around the age of ten.

I've since played many games, some including Blackbeard, Freedom in the Galaxy, Dark Emperor, Agricola, Puerto Rico, The Awful Green Things From Outer Space, Illuminati, Talisman, and on and on.

I have always wanted to play ASL, but have never had the chance. I'd love to learn!

I'm a high school teacher, so have a good amount of free time during the Summer; I'm just working part-time now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.