13 Posts

Logos» Forums » Reviews

Subject: What a great game!!!! Truly a GEM!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michele gervais
Canada
flag msg tools
I am writing you today to describe to you how much my family enjoyed playing your game. I am the mother of two teenagers, and now that they are older and lead busy lives, it is often difficult to get them to sit down to play a game with us. However, over the Christmas holidays, we did sit down with our teenage daughter and played Logos. What at first seemed to her as a chore to have to sit with her parents and play a game, actually turned out to be a postive and enjoyable experience for the three of us. After about 15 minutes of working through and understanding the rules, we were having a very good time, laughing and discussing words and their meaning. It was a different way of communicating with our teen and on a positive level. She knew words that we didn't know and vice versa. Age wasn't a factor, it was certainly a game of sharing information. We laughed about what certain words meant, and how we use these words at times without even really understanding what the meanings were. We were all learning!! We had such a good time, that the following evening, she had a friend sleep over and the two girls wanted to play the game with us!!! We almost fell over when she approached us that evening asking us to play the game with her and her friend!!!! Now whenever we get the chance, usually on a Sunday night, we sit down and play! It gives us another way to communicate with our fast growing teenagers!! It is often difficult to find common ground at this stage, and in an unexpected way, this game has given that to us! What a wonderful surprise!!! She even purchased a few games to give to her friends at Christmas so they could enjoy it also. So cheers, to a great invention!!! It definetly brings families together no matter what age!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logos has 5 ratings on BGG:

Two 10's
-- owns/rates 1 game, registered BGG on 2008-3-3, last login 2008-6-17,
-- owns/rates 1 game, registered BGG on 2008-6-10, last login 2008-6-17,
one 9
-- owns/rates 1 game, registered BGG on 2008-7-14, last login 2008-7-14,
one 8,
one 6.

And 'beary_sweet_1999' (also Canadian) joins BGG today. This is her first contribution.

One other interesting statistic. The EPS RATIO* of this 18 sentence post is an impressive 1.1-- I challenge anyone to find a more enthusiastic BGG review. And the title of this review has an incredible EPS RATIO of 3.5!!!

* EPS RATIO = exclamation point/sentence ratio (statistic inspired and created on 2009-3-24)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Monster
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beary_sweet_1999 wrote:
I am writing you today to describe to you how much my family enjoyed playing your game.

Based upon the quoted language, this appears to be a copy of a letter or email directed to the game publisher/game designer. Although it is understandable that someone who enjoys a game should want to share their enthusiasm (especially if they got their teenager to play it with them), this should probably not be classified as a review. It is probably better classified as a session report.

I think some editing and additional content should have been done before this was accepted as a review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
signjc wrote:
beary_sweet_1999 wrote:
I am writing you today to describe to you how much my family enjoyed playing your game.

Based upon the quoted language, this appears to be a copy of a letter or email directed to the game publisher/game designer. Although it is understandable that someone who enjoys a game should want to share their enthusiasm (especially if they got their teenager to play it with them), this should probably not be classified as a review. It is probably better classified as a session report.

I think some editing and additional content should have been done before this was accepted as a review.

I was one of the who-knows-how-many Geekmods that clicked "accept" for this review. While your points occurred to me, I decided to make allowances for a new user expressing her enthusiasm for a game. It seemed needless pedantic to push the review back under the circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
I was one of the who-knows-how-many Geekmods that clicked "accept" for this review. While your points occurred to me, I decided to make allowances for a new user expressing her enthusiasm for a game.

The first review I wrote was rejected. After that, I realized that if I was going to write a review I should put a little more time and effort into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to work as a wedding DJ and the guy I worked with employed the ethically dubious practice of making shill "reviews" for himself on places like Craigslist and also on about a half-dozen DJ review websites that he in fact ran. They all looked kind of like this.

Whether or not it is legit, it is extremely hard to read and extremely low on detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emike wrote:
Logos has 5 ratings on BGG:

Two 10's
one 9
one 8,
one 6.

And 'beary_sweet_1999' (also Canadian) joins BGG today. This is her first contribution.

Good points, Mike. I just hope the wackos who came after me when I pointed out similar problems with the early ratings for Revolution! don't show up here.

emike wrote:

One other interesting statistic. The EPS RATIO* of this 18 sentence post is an impressive 1.1-- I challenge anyone to find a more enthusiastic BGG review. And the title of this review has an incredible EPS RATIO of 3.5!!!

* EPS RATIO = exclamation point/sentence ratio (statistic inspired and created on 2009-3-24)

That must be how the scripts for infomercials are written: Billy Mays, here, and I'm just damned excited!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I pointed out similar problems with the early ratings for Revolution!

Mouse Chaos????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Watson
United States
West Jordan
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eek gads, people.

What I got out of this was that someone really enjoyed the game and wanted to express their appreciation.

I'm thinking it's possible they were asked to join boardgame geek and express that appreciation and enthusiasm publicly to help promote the game. But, hey, ya can't blame a fellow for trying to succeed!

I also feel this is a fine review. Not every review has to layout gameplay, components, etc. I think Micheles opinon of the game was made obvious and I think it's great that much enjoyment was had.

So, let's throw skeptisism aside and welcome a new user folks.

Welcome, Michele. I hope your family discovers and enjoys many new games here on Boardgamegeek.

(This message has been sponsored by the makers of Logos, a true gem of a game! ... I kid, I jest.. Game on.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emike wrote:

Some years back Jeff Widderich, the guy that published Mouse Chaos, was known around here as "Shill King". With good reason. After being outed, and participating in a long series of spectacularly distasteful threads, he pulled out. All those threads were zapped, so it's now merely legend.

Poltergeist_2000 wrote:
I'm thinking it's possible they were asked to join boardgame geek and express that appreciation and enthusiasm publicly to help promote the game.

Exactly. And if they stay and become contributing members, they get my welcome as well.

But as for these drive-bys:

emike wrote:
Two 10's

one 9

,,. they just sound like shills that only dropped in to artificially pump up the rating. We don't need that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele gervais
Canada
flag msg tools
Wow. What an interesting response to a simple, well-intentioned note!!! (Please, laugh at the exclamation points. I type like I speak, enthusiastically!)

I guess that I left some of the more serious people on here with the wrong impression and I guess that I understand why users of this board may be skeptical but I can only assure you that I'm no "shill". I'm obviously not much of a reviewer, either, but my intentions were good.

Every thing that I wrote in the review is true. I really do enjoy the game and the fact that I get to enjoy it with my daughter makes it even more fun. For me, the purpose of a good board game is more about the social aspect of enjoying time with people who are fun to be around. This game has been providing me with good experiences so I thought that I would send the developer a note of encouragement and appreciation. I haven't received a response from her so I don't know if she even knows about this review!

It was my husband's idea that I post a review here. He has read reviews of other games on here and has found them useful. In fact, I probably should have let him write the review because he definitely fits the category of "GameBoardGeek" and I'm sure he would have written it up more to the liking of other members!

At any rate, I didn't mean to offend any sensibilities and I certainly didn't expect to be called names or have my writing style critiqued. After reading other reviews for different games I think that I have a better understanding of what is expected and I might take the time to post a more detailed review of the game and how it's played.

Until then...have fun!!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mihair wrote:
They probably own 400 different games and played twice the number.

In my case, own 600 different games and played three times the number would be more accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cazemier
Canada
Ottawa
ON (Ontario)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beary_sweet_1999 wrote:
...I thought that I would send the developer a note of encouragement and appreciation. I haven't received a response from her...

You'd figure your glowing review would be worthy of an acknowledgment from the game designer!!!!

I also sent an email, with some marketing suggestions and game tweaks feedback, to the address the designer gave me and to her website email address, and like you didn't get a response. However I have seen the designer peddling her game at our local Chapters Book Store a few times and each time she asked me to forward my email again. After a few months a half-hearted email acknowledgement was received.
shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.