United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
We're lucky enough to live within easy driving distance to a huge pick your own apple orchard with 500 acres producing 150,000 bushels of apples a year. Now they also provide apples wholesale to grocery stores during the season as well as during the off-season selling apples from their 'cold storage' facility. Well, apparently they're having some difficulty selling out this year so this past weekend they opened up their cold storage to the drive in retail market and I'll be damned. The Goldrush picked last fall taste fresh picked and the crunch is like right from the tree. I never would have thought it possible to have an 'old' apple taste this great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apples only age when they are exposed to oxygen. If you pack the apples in a pure nitrogen atmosphere and keep them sealed, they'll be very good for months.

Edit: Or is it CO2 that makes them age? Whatever, I know that nitrogen keeps them fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, whatever it is they do in that magical cold storage area...yum!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honeycrisp apples will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 8 months. Or so I've heard--haven't tried it myself. They tend to not last too long in my house, I've been known to eat up to 6 in a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.