Richard Hoover
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Games I really like are Ticket to Ride, Through the Ages, Neuroshima Hex, and Dominion [depending on the card packs chosen - the beginning card pack I find "okay"].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see why you would compare the two since they both involve building infrastructure, but they play really differently. One of the main aspects of Citadels is role selection whereas Phoenicia is more about auctions.

Since you're a fan of Through the Ages, I think Phoenicia would be a better fit, but if you're looking to expand the types of games in your collection, I'd say Citadels. Also, Citadels can handle up to seven players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer a more meaningful debate, like Jello vs Geology.

Seriously. Citadels is a little psychological game ("What did he pick? What should I pick?") and Phoenicia is an auction/economy/risk management game ("What should I buy, how much should I pay?")

BTW, the Jello vs. Geology debate is completely meaningless, until Jello has existed for Geological lengths of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hoover
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand they are two completely different games. Unfortunately, I am trying to rein in my budget and purchase one. I would much prefer to purchase both.

You are more than welcome to purchase the other one for me, if you think it's so silly to have to choose between one or the other.

Since I recognize they are entirely different there's no need to beat a dead horse in pointing this out.

Thus, could people please focus on providing helpful comments on what game may be more interesting to me based on what I find so far I really like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hoover
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
I can see why you would compare the two since they both involve building infrastructure, but they play really differently. One of the main aspects of Citadels is role selection whereas Phoenicia is more about auctions.

Since you're a fan of Through the Ages, I think Phoenicia would be a better fit, but if you're looking to expand the types of games in your collection, I'd say Citadels. Also, Citadels can handle up to seven players.

How different an experience is Citadels to Race for the Galaxy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although Citadels has more roles to choose from, the overall mechanics are MUCH less complex. You can learn Citadels in 5 minutes. Also, in Citadels, only one person can choose any role at a time and the conflict in Citadels is much more direct - you can destroy other players buildings, etc., whereas some people would argue that RFTG is more of a multiplayer solitaire game (I would not be one of these people.)

I would highly recommend going for San Juan before RFTG. To me it feels like a streamlined and much easier to pick up game than RFTG but still has an amazing level of depth for a card game. The only reason my wife and I moved on to RFTG is 'cause we had played San Juan TO DEATH. Then, making the transition to RFTG wasn't too difficult, as the core mechanics of the game are very similar.

Between Citadels or RFTG - I'd say it depends on how complicated you're willing to get. It makes sense to compare them, since RFTG does have some of that with the role selection, but for me RFTG is more about building infrastructure and economic optimization. I guess I would give the nod to RFTG (or San Juan), unless it's important to be able to play up to seven players, then the nod would go to Citadels. Although be warned - I've never finished even a 6 player game of Citadels, as it can get long. Especially for a card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rock Photo Star wrote:
I understand they are two completely different games. Unfortunately, I am trying to rein in my budget and purchase one. I would much prefer to purchase both.

Citadels is half the cost of Phoenicia (~$16 vs ~30).

Based on my experience, I would say get neither, and I like those kind of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hoover
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was going to get the dark city expansion with Citadels.

As is, why neither yet you like both kinds of games. What would you get instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
People seem to be harping on Citadels' ability to handle 7 players well, but how often do most of you have 7 people chomping at the bit to play a game? For somebody like me, where it's invariably easier to get a two player game going than a seven player game, Phoenicia's a clear winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have played both Citadels and Phoenicia.

Citadels does not work well with more than 4 players. With more than 4 the down time is a killer because there is nothing to do between turns except wish you were playing something else.

Phoenicia is a good game, more consistently so than Citadels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels is a light game that doesn't outstay it's welcome. Phoencia is a distillation of Outpost/Scepter of Zavandor that keeps most of the strengths of those games without the (long) play time.

Personally I'd choose Phoenicia over Citadels without hesitation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.