Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A recent discussion (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3266074#3266074) led to a debate on the various decades of music. If you were stranded on a deserted island, which of the following sets of albums would you chose for your sole listening? (The lists were chosen from the Grammy winners of each year.)

Poll
Choose a set of albums to take with you on a deserted island:
2000s: (Raising Sand performed by Allison Krauss and Robert Plant, River: The Joni Letters performed by Herbie Hancock, Taking the Long Way performed by Dixie Chicks, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb performed by U2, Genius Loves Company performed by Ray Charles, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below performed by OutKast, Come Away with Me performed by Norah Jones, O Brother, Where Art Thou? Soundtrack, Two Against Nature performed by Steely Dan, Supernatural performed by Santana)
1990s: (The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill performed by Lauryn Hill,Time out of Mind performed by Bob Dylan, Falling into You performed by Celine Dion, Jagged Little Pill performed by Alanis Morissette, MTV Unplugged: Tony Bennett, The Bodyguard: Original Soundtrack Album, Unplugged performed by Eric Clapton, Unforgettable... with Love performed by Natalie Cole, Back on the Block performed by Quincy Jones, Nick of Time performed by Bonnie Raitt)
1980s: (Faith performed by George Michael, The Joshua Tree performed by U2, Graceland performed by Paul Simon, No Jacket Required performed by Phil Collins, Can't Slow Down performed by Lionel Richie, Thriller performed by Michael Jackson, Toto IV performed by Toto, Double Fantasy performed by John Lennon & Yoko Ono; produced by Jack Douglas, John Lennon & Yoko Ono, Christopher Cross performed by Christopher Cross, 52nd Street performed by Billy Joel)
1970s: (Saturday Night Fever: The Original Movie Sound Track, Rumours performed by Fleetwood Mac, Songs in the Key of Life performed by Stevie Wonder, Still Crazy After All These Years performed by Paul Simon, Fulfillingness' First Finale performed by Stevie Wonder, Innervisions performed by Stevie Wonder, The Concert for Bangla Desh, Tapestry performed by Carole King, Bridge over Troubled Water performed by Simon and Garfunkel, Blood, Sweat & Tears performed by Blood, Sweat & Tears)
1960s: (By the Time I Get to Phoenix performed by Glen Campbell, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band performed by The Beatles, A Man and His Music performed by Frank Sinatra, September of My Years performed by Frank Sinatra, Getz/Gilberto performed by Stan Getz & João Gilberto, The Barbra Streisand Album performed by Barbra Streisand, The First Family performed by Vaughn Meader, Judy at Carnegie Hall performed by Judy Garland, The Button-Down Mind of Bob Newhart performed by Bob Newhart, Come Dance with Me! performed by Frank Sinatra)
      30 answers
Poll created by beckerdo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
1975-1983
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Your album sets are decidedly weird. I would easily have voted 70's, except I only like two of the albums you listed there. You don't have a rock album in the whole bunch! No Queen, no Zeppelin... no Stones for god's sake! But two Stevie Wonder albums. Wha?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
I'm gonna ignore the album set and go with the one I thought of when I read the thread title.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
Your album sets are decidedly weird. I would easily have voted 70's, except I only like two of the albums you listed there. You don't have a rock album in the whole bunch! No Queen, no Zeppelin... no Stones for god's sake! But two Stevie Wonder albums. Wha?

I agree with your sentiment. Some weirdness comes from the fact that each album list is based on the Grammy winners of each year. Much of that has to do with sales figures and not creativity. So I think the 1960s is missing some innovative and cool albums.

On the other hand, I disagree with your particulars. I would support Stevie Wonder's Innervisions and Songs in the Key of Life as top albums, easily standing against Queen or Led Zep. Maybe that would also be a good poll. List all those artists albums and rank them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
1990's, mainly for the early years and key genres.

Of the albums I know on your list, I'd pick 1970's as my favorites. But answering your question literally, I would pick 2000's because, with the exception of one album, it would all be fresh to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with 1935-1945 and listen to Big Band and Swing to my heart's content (which is pretty much what I do now, thanks to XM Radio).

For rock, I'd go with the sixties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just by the subject line, I'd go with the '90s. Music got really interesting for me then.

But I wouldn't go with very many of those in the list. I really despise the Grammys. Most of the music I like doesn't register a pulse on the Grammy-o-meter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
1990s, but with an entirely different set of records.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Osiris Ra wrote:
1975-1983

What he said...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap, the Grammys suck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sixties: The early British Invasion, The Four Seasons, Big Band Jazz (Buddy Rich), Sergio Mendez & Brazil '66.

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Slipknot 2006 Grammy Winners for 'Best Metal Performance' + not on your list = Fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe 1720-1730? The V man was kicking shit fo reelz those days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If those are my choices, I prefer silence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's the choice for the 1950's and the beginning of Rock and Roll???

That's my favorite decade, followed closely by the 1960's -- a reflection of my age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
90s, but forget the award winners. That list ignores the actual best albums of the decade. I'm not saying the chosen albums are bad... mostly, but how can you make a 'definitive' list of 90s music and not mention Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains or Guns N Roses in there somewhere?

I hate award shows, but the Grammys in particular make me want to whack someone with a stick. The whole point of the Grammy seems to be to reward the worst-selling albums of the year (usually). Now having said that, that would mean that the crap being cranked out by the Jonas Brothers and whatever Disney manufactured pop stars are running around these days as well as groups of guys with more gold in their teeth than my wife has in all of her jewelry would be winning awards and I'm glad they're not.

We shouldn't be encouraging them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
90s, but forget the award winners. That list ignores the actual best albums of the decade. I'm not saying the chosen albums are bad... mostly, but how can you make a 'definitive' list of 90s music and not mention Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains or Guns N Roses in there somewhere?

I hate award shows, but the Grammys in particular make me want to whack someone with a stick. The whole point of the Grammy seems to be to reward the worst-selling albums of the year (usually). Now having said that, that would mean that the crap being cranked out by the Jonas Brothers and whatever Disney manufactured pop stars are running around these days as well as groups of guys with more gold in their teeth than my wife has in all of her jewelry would be winning awards and I'm glad they're not.

I agree with your first statement, and I think that's part of the fun of this list: you get to see how off-the-mark the Grammys have been in rewarding best album of the year. Perhaps the Best New Artist or other category might have been a better set of albums.

On the other hand, I actually think the Grammys are one of the best award bodies and shows out there. Unlike the Oscars or the Emmys or the Tonys, where you only get to see a small snippet of the art, the Grammys have had quite a good variety show for the last 3 or 4 years. You get full song performances, often with a new and interesting mix of artists, and the performances are high production and high energy. This past show had great performances by Lil Wayne, MIA, Radiohead and the USC Marching Band, U2, and Taylor Swift. In the past years there have been great performances by Norah Jones, John Mayer, Gnarls Barkley, Daft Punk, and Corinne Bailey Rae. And if you don't know these artists, the show is a great way to see if you like them or not.

Of the Grammy lists above, I think the 2000s is a good collection and well representative of the decade. I think the 1960s one is way off the mark.

Edit: I do agree that the Jonas Brothers were the absolute low point of recent shows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I somehow find solace in the fact that everything I loved from the 90s wasn't an award-winner.

...or any other decade, in fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for the sixties.

In case you think my choice is related to my age, I'm twenty-six
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Intresting. I'd have said 1960s without looking, but based on those Grammy winners (like having to deal with pre-1965 or so) makes the 70s the winner. And the early 80s even make that decade better than the beloved 60s.

So, I choose something like 1966-1975. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
I voted for the sixties.

In case you think my choice is related to my age, I'm twenty-six :p
You mean, "too young to know better"? :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
unixrevolution wrote:
I voted for the sixties.

In case you think my choice is related to my age, I'm twenty-six
You mean, "too young to know better"?

How about "young enough not to think I know better?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgrandpa wrote:
Where's the choice for the 1950's and the beginning of Rock and Roll???

That's my favorite decade, followed closely by the 1960's -- a reflection of my age.

I agree, and I'm under 30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.