Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greig Goodfellow
Canada
Allanburg
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. does a HQ giving long distance support to an attack and or defense become part of the actual hex in question in regards to retreats etc.
In other words does it mean that the defenders if that is the case may not retreat until the HQ is not involved any more by taking losses to un/hq itself so to speak.

2. do not have my actual cards with me but seem to recall axis card 8 Leb., is a limited war card which forces to total war. However several cases in rules refer to the use of it during limited war. If I am limited at war vs allie yet still under pact with Russia does this card mean WAR as per what the card says. Thanks to any for answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wightman
United Kingdom
Bedford
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Greg, you have it right regarding the HQ. A stack can never retreat whist there a piece involved which cannot retreat (Fort/HQ). If the HQ were to take enough step losses that it was no longer an HQ then the stack could retreat. Note the retreat elements of a combat are resolved first, which can limit the usefulness of killing HQ's to allow a retreat.

There are two versions of card #8. Barbarossa - which is a Total War card, and #8A Lebensraum which is a Limited War card. It does not start Total War - but if Appeasement is still in place then the Limited War effects listed in 13.1 are ignored for the rest of the game. These include building 3-step units for the Allies.

Hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meng Tan
Australia
Bridgeman Downs
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4.2.3.4 first paragraph addresses your first question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig Goodfellow
Canada
Allanburg
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

OK the hq question concerns the times when an hq is not in the stack per se, this is a concept which may not be obvious to players, myself included. If a hq supports a hex from distance then the actual units attacking or defending in this case would be restricted by that hq. correct. Also Meng, I think your soviets in our game are restricted to the border areas they went into until they are freed up by total war or other options. will be back to game tonight here and Thursday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wightman
United Kingdom
Bedford
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Greig,

The rules are the same regardless of where the HQ is - if it is providing it's combat factors then it is in the combat.

For example:

The Axis attacks a stack of Soviet units (2 x 3-3-2) supported by a 2-2-2 HQ. The Axis score an impressive Dr3 0/2 result. The Soviets can take this damage in several ways:

A: Take the Dr3 as steps losses, from the stack, then the final 0/2 again as step losses. Losing the last step in the hex and removing the HQ, replacing it with a single step. The attacker may occupy the target hex.

B: Take the first step of the Dr3 as a step loss on the HQ, replacing it with a single step. They now retreat the stack in the target hex (2 x 3-3-2) two spaces, then take the 0/2 as two step losses from that stack (and any others they may have scooped up in the retreat). The attacker may advance into the hex then exploit one further if legal.

C: Take the first step of the Dr3 from one of the 3-3-2's in the hex, then take the 2nd from the HQ, replacing it with a single step. Then retreat the stack (3-3-2, 1-1-2) 1 hex, then apply the 0/2 two step losses to the stack (and any others they may have scooped up). The attacker may occupy the hex.

As you can see all 3 are slightly different:

A: Losses 5 steps, but has no exploit
B: Losses 3 steps, but allows exploit
C: Losses 4 steps, but has no exploit

Which is best for the defender will very much depend on circumstances, as keeping steps alive isn't always the right decision. For example - taking option C could leave a single step which could then be hammered in regular combat for a large exploit.

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig Goodfellow
Canada
Allanburg
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

very clear now, many options to consider, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.