Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Schuth
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone definitely tell me what game they are playing in the last episode of Season 1 "Big Bang Theory"?

I know I have not played it. It seems like it might be 2nd or 4th edition Talisman, but again, I have not played the game they were playing.

The quote about the game play in the episode goes something like...

"You are enslaved by Warlocks. Roll a 2, 4, or 6..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that some tv show?

The only thing we watch regularly on tv is the weather, which is usually incorrect, and re-runs of Andy Griffith and I Love Lucy, which are ALWAYS right on the mark.

They don't make 'em like they used to. Writers/networks/studios nowadays try to pass off smut as comedy or entertainment, and the sad thing is, unfortunately, they're supported for their lack of effort and creativity. There actually used to be writers and comedians that could make you laugh without being rude, crude or disrespectful. Now, 99.999% of it is so juvenile it's pathetic. I'll take those reruns any day over any of the junk they're putting out now.

Of course, I fully realize, to each their own, and that that is what the power button and remote are for. I guess it just doesn't take much to make some people laugh.

Okay, I've stepped down off my soapbox now. Sorry to have gotten off-topic here, my apologies if I steered this the wrong direction, that was not my intention.

I have no idea what game they were playing on that show.

Thanks,
jrbentley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
The other week they played laser spy chess or some such thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrteacherusa wrote:
Can anyone definitely tell me what game they are playing in the last episode of Season 1 "Big Bang Theory"?

I know I have not played it. It seems like it might be 2nd or 4th edition Talisman, but again, I have not played the game they were playing.

The quote about the game play in the episode goes something like...

"You are enslaved by Warlocks. Roll a 2, 4, or 6..."

It appears to be 4th edition Talisman to me...judging by a photo I found on the network web site, comparing it to photos here on the geek, I was able to identify the "Toad" counter on the board of the picture from the network site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronald fraigun
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It waas 3th edition Talisman, the next season after they played 4th edition version of Talisman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
Is that some tv show?

The only thing we watch regularly on tv is the weather, which is usually incorrect, and re-runs of Andy Griffith and I Love Lucy, which are ALWAYS right on the mark.

They don't make 'em like they used to. Writers/networks/studios nowadays try to pass off smut as comedy or entertainment, and the sad thing is, unfortunately, they're supported for their lack of effort and creativity. There actually used to be writers and comedians that could make you laugh without being rude, crude or disrespectful. Now, 99.999% of it is so juvenile it's pathetic. I'll take those reruns any day over any of the junk they're putting out now.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28694
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
xeonrf wrote:
It waas 3th edition Talisman, the next season after they played 4th edition version of Talisman.

The only game they have played on the show is 4th edition (Black Industries) Talisman. And they have played it very, very wrong in each occasionshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
jrbentley wrote:
Is that some tv show?

LOL....and your point is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fritz
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
cferejohn wrote:
jrbentley wrote:
Is that some tv show?

:)

Well, first off, you didn't actually contribute to the comment presented by the OP. Congratuations on being better than us. I suppose you don't own a cell phone or drive a car, too?

Anywho, I love watching The Big Bang Theory to catch those little geeky nuggets hidden in each show. However, I do have a little nagging voice in my mind that cries out "They're too clean! The apartment is too CLEAN!" The set looks more "geek chic" than what a true geek/nerd pad looks like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nebelwerfer41 wrote:
jrbentley wrote:
cferejohn wrote:
jrbentley wrote:
Is that some tv show?

Well, first off, you didn't actually contribute to the comment presented by the OP. Congratuations on being better than us. I suppose you don't own a cell phone or drive a car, too?

Anywho, I love watching The Big Bang Theory to catch those little geeky nuggets hidden in each show. However, I do have a little nagging voice in my mind that cries out "They're too clean! The apartment is too CLEAN!" The set looks more "geek chic" than what a true geek/nerd pad looks like.

Apparently you missed the part where I said I realized I had gotten off topic, and I even apologized for doing so. Try reading the whole post next time before you jump.

And I by no means or stretch of the imagination think I'm better than anyone else. And yes, I do own a cell phone and drive a car.

I don't understand why this even ruffled your feathers. I simply stated my opinion concerning current "comedy" shows compared to some older ones, and that I believe the older ones are better. How did this make anyone feel that I was saying I was better than anyone else? I read the link that the other poster referred to...I got a laugh out of it, but I can assure you I don't do those kind of things. Do you think that everyone with a differing opinion from your own is saying they are better than you? Not so.

This is not that big a deal, good grief.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
guzerat wrote:
xeonrf wrote:

The only game they have played on the show is 4th edition (Black Industries) Talisman. And they have played it very, very wrong in each occasionshake

Only real geeks would critique a fictional show about the mechanics of something the other 99.999% of the world's population is absolutely clueless about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
For a visual I give you my latest slew of TV game sightings(To the music, We are the Champions)

Carcasonne on Weeds:

Some games from New Adventures of Old Christine(Pirates Cove, Memoir 44):

War on Terror being played on the IT Crowd:

Talisman being played on Big Bang Theory:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:

Link saved for posterity. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
Apparently you missed the part where I said I realized I had gotten off topic, and I even apologized for doing so. Try reading the whole post next time before you jump.

. . .

No, not a very big deal, although you have to admit it's kind of odd to be the first responder to a thread and still to give a response which has almost nothing to do with the poster's question, acknowledge your realization that it was completely off-topic, and still post it anyway. (Usually those out-of-left-field responses are reserved until at least halfway down the first page.)

If I toss a McDonald's sack onto the sidewalk, and then say out loud, "Yes, I realize I'm littering...." it doesn't absolve me from being expected not to have littered in the first place. Plus, defending my littering by saying I verbally acknowledged I was doing it still doesn't change the fact that I littered and shouldn't have. Some could even argue it makes it worse, since it in a way shows premeditation (nobody was forcing you to hit that Submit button, but you did it anyway, even when fully aware you were off topic).

Your opinion about the quality of current television programming is totally valid in general, but as you yourself agreed, pretty off-topic with regard to the specific question the OP was asking. So don't get too upset yourself if people choose to agree with your self-assessment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are huge Geeks.

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mussels wrote:
jrbentley wrote:

. . .

No, not a very big deal, although you have to admit it's kind of odd to be the first responder to a thread and still to give a response which has almost nothing to do with the poster's question, acknowledge your realization that it was completely off-topic, and still post it anyway. (Usually those out-of-left-field responses are reserved until at least halfway down the first page.)

If I toss a McDonald's sack onto the sidewalk, and then say out loud, "Yes, I realize I'm littering...." it doesn't absolve me from being expected not to have littered in the first place. Plus, defending my littering by saying I verbally acknowledged I was doing it still doesn't change the fact that I littered and shouldn't have. Some could even argue it makes it worse, since it in a way shows premeditation (nobody was forcing you to hit that Submit button, but you did it anyway, even when fully aware you were off topic).

Your opinion about the quality of current television programming is totally valid in general, but as you yourself agreed, pretty off-topic with regard to the specific question the OP was asking. So don't get too upset yourself if people choose to agree with your self-assessment.

At least there are ordinances against littering...as far as I know, there are none against someone posting an opinion in a thread, whether he's the 1st person to respond or the 50th. Who says I should have waited till posts were "halfway down the page"....?

Like I said, this is not a big deal...I have faked all the interest in this thread that I can muster up, so I'm moving along...

Thanks,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
guzerat wrote:
xeonrf wrote:

Only real geeks would critique a fictional show about the mechanics of something the other 99.999% of the world's population is absolutely clueless about.

This is why I generally don't trust ANY factual statements in mainstream media, be it fictional or not. Considering how areas I know about are generally covered so badly it hurts, it's safe to say that it probably is as bad in all areas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nebelwerfer41 wrote:
Congratuations on being better than us. I suppose you don't own a cell phone or drive a car, too?

Hey!, I don't own a cell phone or drive a car, but I love "The Big Bang Theory". I've never played Talisman and can't comment on it being played wrong, but a big flaw was all-OCD Sheldon not saying a word about the dice being rolled on the board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley, I respect your choice to not watch smut. I wish I could resist watching some of the shows on TV, but The Office, Chuck, House, etc. are just too funny!

I do find it interesting, though, that you complain about smut on TV, yet you have The Comedian's pin (from Watchmen). That comic is smuttier than most TV shows currently on TV...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dowdy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious but if you have never seen the show in question, what is the basis for concluding that I Love Lucy and Andy Griffith are better than it? It's a bit like if I were to respond to a post about Dominion (a game I have never played) only to declare it inferior to classics like Clue and Stratego.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:
jrbentley, I respect your choice to not watch smut. I wish I could resist watching some of the shows on TV, but The Office, Chuck, House, etc. are just too funny!

I do find it interesting, though, that you complain about smut on TV, yet you have The Comedian's pin (from Watchmen). That comic is smuttier than most TV shows currently on TV...

Haha, I wondered when someone was going to spot that, seriously!

I just changed this earlier this week....lol. Great catch.

I saw the "Watchmen" movie, yep, it's a heavy "R" rating...too bad, because the story itself is awesome.

I suppose sometimes you have to dig through garbage to find treasure. Not that Watchmen is "treasure," far from it, but the story is very, very good.

Yes, I've seen many of the tv shows I was blasting...and I searched and searched and still didn't find any "treasure."

I guess it boils down to this: One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Quick, someone write that down.

That's pretty much it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corodon wrote:
Just curious but if you have never seen the show in question, what is the basis for concluding that I Love Lucy and Andy Griffith are better than it? It's a bit like if I were to respond to a post about Dominion (a game I have never played) only to declare it inferior to classics like Clue and Stratego.

Yes, I have seen "Big Bang Theory." And as far as I'm concerned, that's not saying much.

Sure, it all comes down to what one likes. And that's perfectly okay. It's okay for someone else to like the stuff on tv now, that's fine. It's just as fine for me to prefer the old shows that, as far as I'm concerned, had much better writing and were more creative. But that's MY opinion...never once have I said that everyone should adopt my opinion.

Hey, I like Clue!

See, there we go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To Mega Therion
United States
flag msg tools
badge
No, no no no. No, no. No, sir. I don't know what kinda vibe you think you got off me but I don't play that way. I'm not that way!
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
Is that some tv show?

Hi, Grandpa. Didn't know you were on BGG. Guess you finally got that phone cord hooked up to your chalkboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dowdy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:

Yes, I have seen "Big Bang Theory." And as far as I'm concerned, that's not saying much.

That's cool. I'm sorry, I was under the impression that you had never watched it, and were dismissing it out of hand just for being a current comedy show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
guzerat wrote:

This is why I generally don't trust ANY factual statements in mainstream media, be it fictional or not. Considering how areas I know about are generally covered so badly it hurts, it's safe to say that it probably is as bad in all areas...

I tend to accept mainstream media because I at least know the source. "The Devil you know..." and all of that.

Besides, why do the characters in a sitcom need to know how to correctly play the game being used as a prop? The scene still accurately conveys the message...they're geeks who play boardgames. The specific game, and how it's being played, is irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.