Popular Tags: [View All]
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if anyone else out there has this problem, but it seems I'm always accidentally losing my posts before clicking submit. Sometimes it's due to the backspace key actually being a "Back" function due to where I am in the browser. Sometimes it's just pure carelessness in clicking the "Back" button in the wrong tab. And occasionally, I accidentally close the tab or browser. D'oh!

So, I was just thinking... Many web sites will warn you if you're about to leave a page with uncommitted data entered on it. Is there any way that this functionality could be implemented on BGG? For instance, if anything has been typed into a forum post (such as this one) and you navigate away, a dialog box could come up and ask "Are you sure?". Then careless people like me could just say "Whew!" and click No. Instead of doing what I normally do and yell "Nooooo!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A real cylon would know to use Firefox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently I am being driven INSANE by programmers who constantly interrupt me with stupid questions, especially Are you sure you want to do that? If you do install any such question, please make it optional. Give me the tickbox to say Don't ask me again, or let me choose the option in my profile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great add-on for Firefox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4125

From the description:

"Edit textareas using an external editor, because it's all text!

Right click on a textarea, select "It's All Text!" and edit the text in the editor of your choice."

This ensures that you always have the text you just wrote intact even when the webpage you are visiting goes berzerk. When you're finished writing the text will automagically get pasted into the textarea.

edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Give me the tickbox to say Don't ask me again, or let me choose the option in my profile.

I would prefer a tickbox that said:
"Don't ask me again - but save me if I mess up anyway!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything of length, I type up in Word then copy it over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:

Yeah. I went that way after submitting a session report to a BGG that had gone down for maintenance after I started entering it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the best option would be for it to remember what you'd typed in so that if you do close it and reopen it then your work will still be there. No idea how feasible that is. Of course if you used recently closed tabs in your history your work should still be there... if you're using Firefox or Chrome that is... don't know if IE has that feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:

Don't you mean Bizzarro Word?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geekmail allows us to save a draft. It would be nice to allow saving drafts of other things -- Forum and GeekList comments, game submissions, etc. -- as well.

Of course, it would be even nicer if we could save and just keep going. GeekMail kicks you back to the main mailbox if you save to draft. I'd like to be able to save a draft of whatever and keep typing, and when I'm done and submit it, the draft is quietly deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am writing something long on BGG and don't want to lose it, I copy it to the clipboard before sending. That way if BBG fails, I can just paste it again or paste into Word and save it for later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a bad idea, although often times I don't anticipate a long response, and then it just grows. Occasionally I'll copy text to the clipboard if I think about it in advance, but that doesn't always happen. I can appreciate that warnings can be an annoyance to some, but editing outside of BGG is more annoying to me. Sort of like Word (or Notepad for that matter) not having an option to warn you when closing unsaved documents. Having an option that can be enabled/disabled would be the best of both worlds, I think. I certainly wouldn't want people to be forced to deal with it if they don't want to.

I'm still looking through Firefox extensions, but haven't found anything perfect yet. Plus, sometimes I use IE, or a copy of Firefox without extensions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well that was onix-pected.
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I made a Greasemonkey script that solves this problem, please check this geeklist for more info:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/41033
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ordago wrote:
I made a Greasemonkey script that solves this problem, please check this geeklist for more info:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/41033

Woohoo!! Thanks a bunch.
I've played with GreaseMonkey a bit in the past and thought about that, but I really don't have time at the moment to re-learn it. I'll go give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.