Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read and commented on all of the postings thus far about solo play for Frozen Wastes, but I'm still feeling like there is going to be some weirdness going on when trying solo.

Runebound in general is great when played solo (using the awesome Mr. Skeletor solo rules set, especially including the threat track from Midnight), but I have concerns about the victory conditions and "game-i-ness" of the thing.

My plan:
1) Kill Arshan AND find the Princess for victory
2) Rotate Legend Items every time an Event Card is drawn, discarding 2 of the 6 randomly
3) Start at 16 Threat Level

Anything else recommended? What about the lack of competition for the Survival Gear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: About to embark solo through the wastes...
Good plan Tim.
Thats the way I play this one solo.
The Threat Difficulty at 16 will be tough.
If you get knocked out ... its over.
Once the Threat Level gets triggered to go beyond 10 ....... its over.

You may also want to consider limiting the number of pelts you can carry to 3(?) since there is no one else competing for them.
I haven't done that yet but am considering it for my next game.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[updated]Re: About to embark solo through the wastes...
Okay, I have played through the game solo twice and I have some comments and ideas to share.

I like the board and some of the ideas in Frozen Wastes, but the bits are marginal and I'm disappointed in the challenge variety and minimal special abilites and skill tests on the monsters. It just feels a bit unpolished to me.

Things I like:
- Frost/White Death rules
- Difficult map to navigate with lots of mountains and "swamps" (Wastes)
- "Forage" items is a nicely executed concept
- Good theming and nice looking map and components
- Fun to play overall, and much simpler than Midnight (which is my favorite of the solo rules sets)

Things I don't like:
- Arshan is boring as hell, only a single special ability and 19/3 accross the board. Almost like a "playtest" dummy.
- The princess search is just clunky, and there don't seem to be enough monsters that award princess cards for anything beyond a 2 player game
- The Red "Legendary Items" you can search for are often requiring 7 tokens (and therefore 7 spaces on and around the Red gem space), and only two of the Red Gem spaces are not on the edge of the map. So, in order to find these, you have to have exactly what is around those two hexes and only those two hexes. Stupid and easily fixed.

Anyway, I've now played through twice and won both times with the Threat Level at 16.

Here are my changes to make the system solo and my verdict/adjustments:

1) Kill Arshan AND find the Princess for victory
VERDICT: Good - this seems to be a difficult task, but doable. I also like to imagine that I show up with the princess, kill Arshan, and live in his utopia with the princess forever. Take THAT, dude.

2) Rotate Legend Items every time an Event Card is drawn, discarding 2 of the 6 randomly
VERDICT: Not Bad - I actually modified this the second game to trigger every time the Threat Level advanced as the Events aren't as frequent and once you've drawn a Yellow Event, you don't get to play other Green events. With the change, I liked the pressure it added to get the specific Legend item you want before it disappears.

3) Start at 16 Threat Level
VERDICT: Fine, adjustable depending on the level of challenge you like. I was knocked out once in each game - one time losing the 15G Rune Plate (sob!) and still managed to win.

4) ADDITION: Can only carry one of each Survival Gear
VERDICT: Very good, I think they are all quite useful situationally and the need to have the extra GP is stressful. I do like the thought of only being able to buy the Luckstones in Weik cities and the Crystals in Viking cities and Snowshoes everywhere, but I didn't try this.

5) ADDITION: Can only carry 2 Forage items, but may sell them at anytime (even not in a city). None of this quadruple pelt stuff. Too easy.

I was chatting with Mr. Skeletor and he's working on some solo rules as well. Should be able to come up with a fun and workable solution. I really like the theme of this one, and hope to increase it's potential.

/End Runebound Geekout

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now played a third time, and I think that I will change #5 to read:

Can only carry one Forage Item per Hero or Ally, to a maximum of three. Each Forage Item: Pelt can protect one character (Hero or Ally) from the effects of Frost, but no character (Hero or Ally) may be the target of more than one pelt per turn.

You get the gist. You got 3 on your team? Everyone can have a warm coat. Only two? You get to keep the two warmest coats. Want to have other Forage items? Better sell the coat before you have to leave it behind!

By the way, I lost the third game with the Threat Difficulty at 16. I found the princess, but got beat by Arshan in my first attempt and didn't make it back before time was up. That's a long, long journey up there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
By the way, I lost the third game with the Threat Difficulty at 16. I found the princess, but got beat by Arshan in my first attempt and didn't make it back before time was up. That's a long, long journey up there.

Yeah ... lost the princess, had to find her again and then go all the way up. That is time consuming.

I play with a slightly different chain of events where you have to eliminate Arshan, then find the princess and bring her to Green Vale.

I agree with limiting the pelts or even limiting the amount of forage items you can have.

Keep up the good work/ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.