Subject: Release Cylon Mugshots rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Pollard
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I have the right to know which of my loyalty cards the president randomly viewed?

Or must I randomize them again after the view, and never know whether he was lying on my behalf (and is therefore my Cylon ally) or just saw the wrong card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has never occurred to me that you don't we always, play the President draws a card at random from your hand and will then look to see the card(s) left.

I think that if you weren't meant to know which one was seen, the rules would have specifically stated that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pollard
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably right... that's the way I'll continue to play.

On a related note, however, if the president takes a card and I see the accused person look at the other card... he's a frakkin' skinjob.

After all, why would a human care which card the president looks at? So then, if the president says "he's not a Cylon," I'll respond, "Oh yes he is!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We had a lengthy discussion about this on the FFG website. Nothing prevents you from knowing which card(s) you still retain, and determining what the other player randomly drew.

However, if you make an effort to see what was drawn, you tip your hand to show you are concerned and indicate to the rest of the group that you have differing loyalty cards, implying you are a Cylon.

In our group, we alway shold cards so we can see our own that way we know what was drawn. And by conistently playing this way (not only in BSG but all of our games), then nothing looks suspicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good house rule!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
In our group, we alway shold cards so we can see our own that way we know what was drawn. And by conistently playing this way (not only in BSG but all of our games), then nothing looks suspicious.

Good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
We had a lengthy discussion about this on the FFG website. Nothing prevents you from knowing which card(s) you still retain, and determining what the other player randomly drew.

However, if you make an effort to see what was drawn, you tip your hand to show you are concerned and indicate to the rest of the group that you have differing loyalty cards, implying you are a Cylon.

Well, you can always just call for everyone to look at their loyalty cards again for a full 10s.

Personally, I always check to see which of my 2 or 3 loyalty cards were examined, even if I knew all 2 or 3 of them were human. It makes for more interesting things that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pollard
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
We had a lengthy discussion about this on the FFG website...
Well, you can always just call for everyone to look at their loyalty cards again for a full 10s.

Personally, I always check to see which of my 2 or 3 loyalty cards were examined, even if I knew all 2 or 3 of them were human. It makes for more interesting things that way.

Sure, if you find "creating doubt", "getting wrongly thrown in the brig", and "sabotaging your own team" to be interesting, then yes... it's interesting.

I've played games in which I'm human, and some other human does suspicious things "just to spice things up". It sucks. You're jeopardizing my win, and you have no right to do that for your own personal amusement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtpoll wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Sure, if you find "creating doubt", "getting wrongly thrown in the brig", and "sabotaging your own team" to be interesting, then yes... it's interesting.

I've played games in which I'm human, and some other human does suspicious things "just to spice things up". It sucks. You're jeopardizing my win, and you have no right to do that for your own personal amusement.

It is probably about group think. We find that it is the automatic thing to do to look to see what's left and everyone tends to do it, so it is not suspicious. If someone were seen to be deliberately making a point not to look, then perhaps that might bear closer investigation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
It is probably about group think. We find that it is the automatic thing to do to look to see what's left and everyone tends to do it, so it is not suspicious. If someone were seen to be deliberately making a point not to look, then perhaps that might bear closer investigation.

That was 90% of the argument on FFG: how different groups react and what that means. The guy that did the most arguing apparently is the only one who does it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtpoll wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

That's the EXACT reason I check the cards. Not b/c I'm trying to play kingmaker or throw the game, but it's b/c what everyone in my group does. If I doN'T look at what cards I have left, then I'm either giving away my human loyalty to the unrevealed cylon players or I'd look too suspicious, as I'm trying too hard to hide it.

It's the same concept that many have adapted that each person looks at their loyalty card for at least 10s, regardless of whether it's the generic "You are not a cylon" card or the cylon card with nasty effects on them.

I have had other players suspect me of being a cylon for reasons including but not limited to:
--Baltar/Boomer gets one extra loyalty card, so they're much more likely to be a cylon (even though they're not THAT MUCH higher given all the cards going around in a 5p game)
--Roslin is such a (relatively) useless character in the game that I must be a cylon for choosing her
--Helo is such a worthless character in the show, so I must be a cylon
--I only drink coffee about few times a year. All the sudden I'd like a cup of coffee, so that just might do it

Point is, there are PLENTY of reasons out there. Some of them good, some of them bad. Either way, there's more to than who looks at their loyalty card b/c of a crisis' skill check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pollard
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
mtpoll wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

That's the EXACT reason I check the cards. Not b/c I'm trying to play kingmaker or throw the game, but it's b/c what everyone in my group does. If I doN'T look at what cards I have left, then I'm either giving away my human loyalty to the unrevealed cylon players or I'd look too suspicious, as I'm trying too hard to hide it.

I see your point, as long as everyone is behaving the same way; that wasn't clear before.

ackmondual wrote:

--Roslin is such a (relatively) useless character in the game that I must be a cylon for choosing her
--Helo is such a worthless character in the show, so I must be a cylon

By the way, loyalty cards are dealt after character selection, so no one should be accusing you of anything based on selecting Roslin or Helo, since you're not a psychic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtpoll wrote:

By the way, loyalty cards are dealt after character selection, so no one should be accusing you of anything based on selecting Roslin or Helo, since you're not a psychic.

Or maybe he is a psychic, which means he is a frakkin' toaster! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samu Karppinen
Finland
flag msg tools
Had this discussion after the game (good thing it didn't come up in game)

Main thing seems to be that everybody knows the ruling on this before it comes up in game!

My opinion is that RANDOM is random to both players.

How is the target player supposed to know what the result of
"Mandatory Testing"
"Terrorist Investigations"
"Cylon Screenings"
test is ? (yes this is from fluff/Roleplaying and from the TV:series also (if i remember right))

And if it is the fact of random in these cards then it must be so on
"Informing The public"
"Release Cylon Mugshots"
(RP here fails ...)
But its 3 vs. 2 ....

Anyways have it clear before it comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ makes it clear that you always get to know which loyalty card was taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
FAQ makes it clear that you always get to know which loyalty card was taken.

That question was asked as a direct result of the previous discussion in anticipation of the PBF games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.