Popular Tags: [View All]
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if there's a store in Seoul where I can buy Settlers of Catan?

Thanks,
Nate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaky Ulnas
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Yet feet that wandering have gone
badge
Turn at last to home afar
mbmb
Most bookstores (especially Kyobo and Bandi & Luni's) carried Settlers when I was there. The Korean version has enough English on it that you can play without speaking Korean - granted you will already need to know the rules. See construction costs picture:

Lubicon.com has Settlers on their website:
http://lubicon.com/shop/goods/goods_view.php?goodsno=690
If you have a Korean friend with a credit card you could order it online (Korean online stores don't seem to accept foreign credit cards). If you want to try buying from Lubicon in person they have a board game cafe on the 7th floor of Doosan Tower (Doota!) with a reasonable selection of games. From the subway Doota! is a 3 minute walk from Dongdaemun Stadium Station (Exit #14) or Dongdaemun Station (Exit #8). Of course, knowing how fast things change in Seoul, the cafe could be gone by now.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Shaun.

I was hoping to find an English version, but wasn't too hopeful. Neither my wife nor I have played before. I'll let you know if I end up going that route, though.

Thanks again,
Nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaky Ulnas
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
If you aren't able to find Settlers in English there is a terrific .pdf of the rules here on BGG. The .pdf even includes rules for 2-players.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/40528

I also found that going to a board game cafe in Seoul was always good for learning a new game. More often than not the clerk in the cafe would start teaching us the game whether we wanted him to or not!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaky Ulnas
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
...and worst case scenario, I'm sure you could find any number of people on BGG who would gladly send you an English copy of Settlers in exchange for a copy of Lexio from Korea. It sounds like Lexio is pretty hard to find in North America as of late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Davis
South Korea
flag msg tools
There is a store by Entrance 1 of Namdaemun Market called Alpha. It is a stationary, art, and office supply store. On the third (I think) level there is a toy section, and on one shelf there is a selection of Euro-style boardgames. I saw Settlers among them today, though it is a Korean version. Your second option is to go to the Dongdaemun Toy Market. It is a bit tricky to find if you can't read Korean because it is down a side street. Look for the German Pharmacy ("Doe-gil Yak-gook" - 독일약국) when you exit the Dongdaemun Subway Station (the exit closest to the Great Gate) and turn down the side alley with toy stores flanking both sides. At the first large intersection of alleyways is a large toy store with "Lego" signs all over it. They sell some Euro-style boardgames, Settlers usually among them (also in Korean). The third and most expensive option, as already suggested, is to check out the large bookstores (Kyobo, Yongpoon and Bandi & Luni's) around Jongno and Gwanghwamun. They too sell boardgames, but also usually in Korean. [Edit] One more option is the Toys'R'Us by the Guil Subway Station. They too have a pretty decent selection of the more popular Euro and classic boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want an English version, you can probably special order it at Kyobo bookstore.

There is a person there that handles special orders. While it may just be for books though, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.