Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a good week, so this list will be short.

1. People who mock amazement that the NHL still exists. - Don't think I forgot you, Kafka!

2. Widely available substandard diet root beer. - Sometime last year, I developed a huge craving for root beer that never really went away. Unfortunately, the only diet root beer most places carry is A&W, which is clearly inferior to Mug. Some places will opt for Boylen's instead, an even worse fate. Clearly a case of favoring the mediocre.

3. Search in Outlook - Outlook always searches for emails oldest to newest. In the two years I've worked here, I've amassed about 20,000 emails. It takes forever for the search function to finally reach the month or two ago I know the email I'm looking for but can't find is. Please, if there's a way to change this, tell me.

4. People who watch 4:3 broadcasts in 16:9. - Why spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on an LCD or plasma television to only lower the quality of the image? "Becase the black bars on the sides are distracting." No, having everybody look like an anvil dropped on their heads is distracting.

5. "What's going on with the weather?" - I hear this the first week of spring every year. Listen, we're in a temperate zone. The leaves don't just grow on the first day of spring. There's going to be some sub-freezing temperatures in the mornings. This has happened every year. Why does this continue to amaze you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
It's been a good week, so this list will be short.

4. People who watch 4:3 broadcasts in 16:9. - Why spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on an LCD or plasma television to only lower the quality of the image? "Becase the black bars on the sides are distracting." No, having everybody look like an anvil dropped on their heads is distracting.

What I find funny, is going to stores like Best Buy, who are SELLING the product, and they have one DVD player hooked up to 20 tv's, and none of them are in the correct aspect ratio, or set up correctly.

I remember someone saying years ago that widescreen is lame, the black bars are horrible, they'll only buy non-widescreen movies, blah blah. I said "I'd hate to know what they'll think of their library in 10 years, when all the TV's are widescreen, and they'll have black bars on the left and right of their screen.

I also remember a guy in HMV ask the clerk "Can i get this in widescreen, but without the black bars?"

This was 10-15 years ago before widescreen's were widely available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendrick Martin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

Hol-i-gosh this fiends me to no end. Not only is 16:9 superior in any right no matter what TV you're watching, but why buy a widescreen when you won't watch wide films.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
No, having everybody look like an anvil dropped on their heads is distracting.

I know people who fix this by zooming in. You don't need all that extraneous stuff on the top and bottom anyway. It's probably just sky and grass, right? Okay, so the tops of heads get cut off in some of the older 1:1.33 movies, but just so long as you can see the nose and mouth that's good enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

Uh, my pet peeve too. But here I have TV broadcast stations (TV BS for short) that show 16:9 and sinemascope in 4:3 and everyone look like aliens. It's like watching completely different people, not the actors I know, in some weird universe where everyone is made of rubber.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
1. People who mock amazement that the NHL still exists.

Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
I remember someone saying years ago that widescreen is lame, the black bars are horrible, they'll only buy non-widescreen movies, blah blah.

That's an easy problem to fix. Show them the 4:3 version of A League of Their Own. The Pan 'n Scan is so god-awful, they'll never be able to watch a 4:3 DVD again.

Of course, it works both ways. I spent a long time looking for a widescreen copy of Full Metal Jacket only to discover that Kubrick actually filmed some of his movies in 4:3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Gola wrote:
I know people who fix this by zooming in. You don't need all that extraneous stuff on the top and bottom anyway. It's probably just sky and grass, right? Okay, so the tops of heads get cut off in some of the older 1:1.33 movies, but just so long as you can see the nose and mouth that's good enough.

GUILTY. But this is for normal TV, not our widescreen movies. It's also because I've heard that some people have had the left and right black bars permanently burned into their TVs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
A company that calls you up and says we think you would be great for this job why don't you come in and interview with us. Oh and by the way it pays 64k a year. Then you have a good interview and they even show you where you would quote unquote would be working so you get your hopes up and start looking at houses online and discussing starting a family but then said company calls and tells you they just hired within and snatch your dreams away from you. Then to make matters worse you have to hear the fucking horns of the trains that belong to the company that denied you the job blaring at 3AM every morning as they lumber past your apartment reminding you that you didn't get the job. And the next day when you wake up and try to move on with your life and be positive you go outside and find that it is dumping snow out and people are driving like idiots. So what's going on with this fucking weather?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Gola wrote:

GUILTY. But this is for normal TV, not our widescreen movies. It's also because I've heard that some people have had the left and right black bars permanently burned into their TVs.

Do you have a plasma or LCD television? This doesn't happen with LCDs. It shouldn't happen with newer plasmas either. While there will be some burn in, you can white it out and it'll go away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
2. Widely available substandard diet root beer. - Sometime last year, I developed a huge craving for root beer that never really went away. Unfortunately, the only diet root beer most places carry is A&W, which is clearly inferior to Mug. Some places will opt for Boylen's instead, an even worse fate. Clearly a case of favoring the mediocre.

If you want a good widely available (in NY state at least) rootbeer, have you tried Stewart's? It's easily my favorite that you can get in most supermarkets. They also have a diet version which I haven't tried, but it's probably pretty good. If your stores don't carry it then your stores suck. I used to see it at Wegmans all the time.

erak wrote:

3. Search in Outlook - Outlook always searches for emails oldest to newest. In the two years I've worked here, I've amassed about 20,000 emails. It takes forever for the search function to finally reach the month or two ago I know the email I'm looking for but can't find is. Please, if there's a way to change this, tell me.

It takes a minute to set up, but could potentially save you a lot of time:

Type "Ctrl+Shift+F" in outlook. Now you can specify all sorts of options to narrow down the search. If you're sure that the email was at least 3 months ago but not more than 4 months ago, you can specify special time frames like that under the "advanced" tab. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:

erak wrote:

Type "Ctrl+Shift+F" in outlook. Now you can specify all sorts of options to narrow down the search. If you're sure that the email was at least 3 months ago but not more than 4 months ago, you can specify special time frames like that under the "advanced" tab. Good luck.

Yeah, it's Advanced Find. In Options. Like, right in the Search bar. Erik likes to do things the difficult way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

5. "What's going on with the weather?" - I hear this the first week of spring every year. Listen, we're in a temperate zone. The leaves don't just grow on the first day of spring. There's going to be some sub-freezing temperatures in the mornings. This has happened every year. Why does this continue to amaze you?

Weather is a staple of small talk. Everyone shares in weather. Everyone knows what weather is. Yeah, it's lame. Yeah, it's irritating when 18 people say it to you in a row, and you have to say, "Yeah, I know, right?" with a chuckle 18 times in a row. But it's the one common bond everyone can share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
1. People who mock amazement that the NHL still exists.

YAY! We made the top of the list!

Quote:
2. Widely available substandard diet root beer that Erik doesn't happen to like.

There, I fixed that for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
A company that calls you up and says we think you would be great for this job why don't you come in and interview with us. Oh and by the way it pays 64k a year. Then you have a good interview and they even show you where you would quote unquote would be working so you get your hopes up and start looking at houses online and discussing starting a family but then said company calls and tells you they just hired within and snatch your dreams away from you. Then to make matters worse you have to hear the fucking horns of the trains that belong to the company that denied you the job blaring at 3AM every morning as they lumber past your apartment reminding you that you didn't get the job. And the next day when you wake up and try to move on with your life and be positive you go outside and find that it is dumping snow out and people are driving like idiots. So what's going on with this fucking weather?

soblue Sorry to hear that's how it turned out. Maybe you should take the tires off the rims of your car and drive up and down the rails real slow making them pass on the left but then quickly switch lanes in front of them and slam on the brakes and stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eggplantia5 wrote:
thermogimp wrote:

erak wrote:

Yeah, it's Advanced Find. In Options. Like, right in the Search bar. Erik likes to do things the difficult way.

For SuperAdvanced Find, you want ALT-F4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
erak wrote:
2. Widely available substandard diet root beer that Erik doesn't happen to like.

There, I fixed that for you properly.

Rootbeer is nasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
erak wrote:

There, I fixed that for you properly.

Rootbeer is nasty.

...uh... you're nasty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:

So sorry Jonathan!!! That really bites!!! Not that it will make you feel any better.....I once had a job interview where they not only showed me where I would be working, they also introduced me to everyone I would be working with--one by one.

You guessed it----I didn't get the job!!

Kisses for you!! kiss

Love you lots!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:

If you want a good widely available (in NY state at least) rootbeer, have you tried Stewart's? It's easily my favorite that you can get in most supermarkets. They also have a diet version which I haven't tried, but it's probably pretty good. If your stores don't carry it then your stores suck. I used to see it at Wegmans all the time.

Of course I have. While available in the city, the diet isn't easily found. Strange, I know. Even the diet orange n cream's easier to get (which is no complaint).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

Try archiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Verkisto wrote:
Gola wrote:

Do you have a plasma or LCD television? This doesn't happen with LCDs. It shouldn't happen with newer plasmas either. While there will be some burn in, you can white it out and it'll go away.

Not true, unfortunately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence

However, it takes such abuse to make it happen, it's really a waste to change your viewing habits because of it. It's like putting plastic on your furniture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.