Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

Greetings-

I am considering buying Yspahan, but I have red-green colourblindness. Is there anyone who knows whether the colours of the souks (different "shop" areas on the board) will be a problem? It's difficult to tell on a computer monitor.

And help would be appreciated

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it would be much of a problem.

The souks are White, Blue, Yellow, Orange, and Magenta. The only ones which would look similar are the Yellow and Orange. I'm pretty sure the Magenta would appear grey to you (rather than yellow).

Also, the souks are grouped according to their point value. After a few plays of the game, you will probably know which souks are grouped together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no issue on the board with reds and greens but with 4 players, one player will be playing green and another red. It shouldn't matter too much if you aren't playing one of those colours, since you usually need to know if a souk is yours or someone else's but not exactly whose it is. One problem might be in the caravan. You would need to be reminded who has how many cubes where in the caravan since that information can be pretty important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
... but with 4 players, one player will be playing green and another red. It shouldn't matter too much if you aren't playing one of those colours, since you usually need to know if a souk is yours or someone else's but not exactly whose it is. One problem might be in the caravan.

If this really turns out to be a problem, you could always take cubes from another color from another games, or just use something else like coins for one player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

Greetings again, and thank you for responding.

The cubes are absolutely no problem - if there's any difficulty I will repaint one colour. The issue is the blue and pink souks, which are extremely confusing in the images I have seen. For instance:

In both of these pictures the blue and pink appear to be the same colour (as far as I am concerned). To make matters worse, those colours seem to change- they get darker towards the top of the board. I'm wondering if this is a product of the photography or part of the board design - in other words, are all the blue shops across all the quadrants exactly the same shade on the board? What about the pink?

To describe what I see: in the lower right quadrant, I can easily distinguish the 2 white shops, the 4 yellow shops, and the 8 shops of "that other colour". The pink and blue are basically identical - I can't see the added redness of the pink, so they are the same. By using photo-editing software I can tell there are actually 2 colours: 3 shops are blue and 5 are pink. But that's not a practical solution while playing yuk

Thank you again

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the souks are a problem could you not mark up your board?

I would guess a little white dot sticker on the blues would make it immediately obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
If the souks are a problem could you not mark up your board?

Actually I don't think it's necessary. After one game you will know which souks are which.
I would easily be able to play the game with all souks in the same colour, and since you only have trouble seeing the difference between the blue and purple, it won't be that hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you all. I really dislike marking boards because my copy of La Città looks terrible after I marked some of the hex locations. If necessary I will use small stickers.

Cheers,

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am now a happy Yspahan-owner. No modifications were required - someone with more severe deuteronomoly (red-green colourblindness) might have problems with the red and green cubes, but I really doubt it. On my set the reds are very dark, and the green is very light.

The souks are a minor inconvenience - I have to "look", rather than glance at the board, but it is not necessary to add stickers or otherwise deface the surface.

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.