Popular Tags: [View All]
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.thestrategicconquest.com

Looks like an official site for the game.
With a not-so-clearly-related web address, but with a contest to win a copy of the game, pictures etc'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The vehicles are a bit disappointing; they're a bit small. I was hoping for a miniature Pelican dropshop as well. Ho hum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yegads... now RISK is going the way of Monopoly, with the flavor of the month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's that bad. Monopoly appears to be repaints of the same game, just with pieces and named swapped, but the mechanics are still the same.

Almost every Risk variant (the exceptions being the early ones like Castle Risk) have some sort of rules addition, new cards, always a new map (with some exceptions), and sometimes new denominations of the pieces. There's always the underlying 'core Risk' that all rule sets have for play, but they always have new rules for each particular flavor.

Moreover, they aren't released as commonly as Monopoly variants, nor are they apparently as easy to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still interested in this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks awesome, thanks!

I was going to buy the revised risk, but I'm not a fan of that gaudy ugly board - they should have used the black ops board, box, and colors.

This looks better than the new revised risk and seems to have all the fast gameplay options intact from the initial advertising blurbs. Sign me up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sexy map!

But it's still Risk, no thank you, I'll keep my War Of The Ring for all things reminding me of Risk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
Sexy map!

But it's still Risk, no thank you, I'll keep my War Of The Ring for all things reminding me of Risk ;)

But Black Ops / Revised / (and it looks like this version) are really NOT the classic Risk when played with the new rules. Objectives (as winning conditions), capital cities, and a fast playing time are not qualities of the classic game.

The setup and combat are similar but those could be easily tinkered with too if you really need to have complete overhaul. I don't see anything wrong with the combat in Risk, but I don't have issues with having a little luck spice combat up and the luck is mitigated by the number of dice rolls.

Release date is August 15th according to one of the site pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
Sexy map!

But it's still Risk, no thank you, I'll keep my War Of The Ring for all things reminding me of Risk

it looks like they just turned the world upside down.

just some small differences as far as I can see (no asia-NA connection, south africa is different..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Vuorio
Finland
Porvoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lj1983 wrote:
it looks like they just turned the world upside down.

Exactly what I first thought of the board.

I also think that it needs a map behind it and not just those black territories on a blue background

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
Yegads... now RISK is going the way of Monopoly, with the flavor of the month.
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
But it's still Risk, no thank you

Most of the Risk varieties play quite differently from the original Risk, and from each other.
Risk 2210 A.D. and Risk: Star Wars Original Trilogy Edition are the gems of the crowd, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.