7 Posts

War of the Ring: Battles of the Third Age» Forums » Rules

Subject: ROHAN: pg12 Recruiting Free Peoples Army Units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This para indicates that ONLY the FP may recruit with a Muster die.

But the play sheets & pg9 do not state this restriction.

WTF ???

Also, the para makes a distinction between "settlements" and "regions" but the play sheets & pg9 do not make this distinction.

WTF ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
This para indicates that ONLY the FP may recruit with a Muster die.

But the play sheets & pg9 do not state this restriction.

WTF ???

This same privilege is granted to the Shadow in the next section of the rules.

Gronak wrote:
Also, the para makes a distinction between "settlements" and "regions" but the play sheets & pg9 do not make this distinction.

WTF ???

Settlements are in Regions, so it makes no difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Damn, I hate rules that repeat common elements in several places. Just more words to sort out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
Damn, I hate rules that repeat common elements in several places. Just more words to sort out.

Gronak wrote:
I really detest flipping from between the common & scenario pages trying to find stuff.

When there is a rule that can either be factored out, and thus stated in only one general place, or restated multiple times in each specific case it applies, which do you hate the most? Just curious.

PS: You seem really angry at this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Trying to learn is solo turned out to be NOT fun.

I hate always having to be the one who learns & then teaches a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PLACING ADDITIONAL RECRUITEMENT TOKENS:

Please explain what a "Recruitment Region" is in the Rohan game.

The rules for Gondor pg28 tell me:
"Recruitment Areas are not considered Regions (while they are such in Battle for Rohan)...

So I conclude that in Rohan, a Settlement is a Recruitment Region.

But that may be a fact with no game function:

The Play Sheet for Rohan says I can use an Action Token to "...PLACE one recruitment token in one recruitment area of the appropriate nation..."

So that is either a minor typo ("appropriate nation" makes no sense since there is only 1 nation in the Rohan game) or a complete error (if placing is only allowed in the Gondor game).

Which is it?

Note what Francesco said in another thread; but I don't know if he intended his reply to apply only to the Rohan game, or to both the Rohan and Gondor games:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/106512
>>
Q. My Summary sheets allow the Army/muster action tokens to be used to flip or place a recruitment token, rather than just the option to flip the token which is in my rulebook.

A. You cannot place recruitment tokens with dice or Action tokens. You can only flip those already in place.

Francesco
>>

Has a Geek re-written the BOTTA rulebooks like for the main game?

How many armies does Rohan get from cards & characters? It seems to me that not allowing them to build more than the 8 on the board at game start is very restrictive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
PLACING ADDITIONAL RECRUITEMENT TOKENS:

Please explain what a "Recruitment Region" is in the Rohan game.

The rules for Gondor pg28 tell me:
"Recruitment Areas are not considered Regions (while they are such in Battle for Rohan)...

So I conclude that in Rohan, a Settlement is a Recruitment Region.

But that may be a fact with no game function:

A Settlement is not a Recruitment Area. The only Recruitment Areas in the Rohan game are for Mordor Orcs (East Eaves of Fangorn and Sarn Gebir) and Dunlendings (North Dunland and Gap of Calenardhon). There are none for the Free Peoples.

The rule you quoted is a reference to the fact the Recruitment Areas are considered to be Regions in the Rohan game, but they are not considered to be so in the Gondor game.

Recruitment Areas differ from Settlements in that Recruitment counters and/or units may be placed in Recruitment Areas using certain action dice or tokens. Settlements may generally be mustered in only by flipping existing Recruitment tokens, though some Event cards do override this restriction.

Gronak wrote:
The Play Sheet for Rohan says I can use an Action Token to "...PLACE one recruitment token in one recruitment area of the appropriate nation..."

So that is either a minor typo ("appropriate nation" makes no sense since there is only 1 nation in the Rohan game) or a complete error (if placing is only allowed in the Gondor game).

Which is it?

Note what Francesco said in another thread; but I don't know if he intended his reply to apply only to the Rohan game, or to both the Rohan and Gondor games:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/106512
>>
Q. My Summary sheets allow the Army/muster action tokens to be used to flip or place a recruitment token, rather than just the option to flip the token which is in my rulebook.

A. You cannot place recruitment tokens with dice or Action tokens. You can only flip those already in place.

Francesco
>>

As there are no Free Peoples Recruitment Areas in the Rohan game, you may not place Recruitment tokens there. This rule applies only to the Gondor game. It was erroneously included on the Rohan player aids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.