Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any coop games that work well with 2 players?

Expandable up to 4 would be nice, but it has to work with 2.

The other player is not much of a gamer so complexity is not a good thing. But being that it is cooperative this is a flexible requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic plays very well with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories is much more complex than Pandemic, though they're both great for what they are. Lord of the Rings is another good choice for 2 players (or up to 5) and isn't too complicated (though again, moreso than Pandemic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sex!

I am sure it will expand to four players in Co-Op fasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Pandemic, since the other player is "not much of a gamer".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
I do not own Ghost Stories, but I've heard the manual is hard to read.

Pandemic, which I do own, was pretty simple to understand. Play a solo game first by yourself and get all the manual referencing out of the way so you can teach your partner without downtime to look in the manual--and so you play correctly (note: epidemics bring BACK the discard pile!).

Play as the dispatcher and let your partner play as the medic and you'll have a convert, guaranteed!*

*guarantees are not necessarily guaranteed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Taylor
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
We've played Pandemic with two and liked it. But we recently picked up Red November, and played as if we were 4 players (2 gnomes each) and had a lot of fun. Seemed to have more tension than Pandemic somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic, Red November, and Ghost Stories are all fine games. I think pandemic is the easiest to learn and teach provided at least one person knows how to play. Thus far, Ghost Stories is the one that I've had the most fun playing because, in my opinion, it prompts the most discussion amongst players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses.

I have played Pandemic. I didn't think about how well it would work with 2 people.

I think she would be bored/(would not be having fun) with it. But I'm willing to try it.

I'll look into the other two games mentioned.

Anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
If you think she won't like Pandemic, I'm guessing she wouldn't like the other ones. It's a guess, obviously, but Pandemic has the most widely palatable theme IMO. If she's anti-nerd, like my gf, then gnomes repairing a sub vs. fighting ghosts is a no brainer: we're watching Will & Grace :gulp:

I've got her to play Pandemic though. We just have to spend a few turns after a win eradicating the remaining cubes because she doesn't like to leave the board "messy." Just my experience...

You might also consider price. Pandemic is about $20, RN a little cheaper, but less available last time I looked, and Ghost Stories is closer to $40 IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is complex, but only one player needs to know the rules in depth. The rest can basically play along as they would an RPG. Especially if they realize it's all about the journey, not the destination (i.e. they don't mind losing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'll explain a little. She like some games occasionally but hates to lose repeatedly. We were played Target and Catan Dice the other night (2 games each) and she lost every game. I was sensitive to this, and did not play optimally at Target so that the victory wasn't quite as bad as it could have been, but I realized that when I did that, I wasn't having much fun either.

So when she quit, I asked her why. She said she doesn't like playing games. Then after a little more discussion, she said she didn't like losing.

I realize I could lose a lot more, and it wouldn't bother me to lose, but it would bother me that I have to play sub-optimally just to keep her at the table. As I said above, then it is not fun for me either.

So I am looking for a co-op game that works for 2.

I wasn't considering Red November because of theme, but a friend has it and once I play it I will have a more accurate opinion about it.

I was considering Ghost Stories because she likes to watch those kinds of TV / movies.

My thinking about Pandemic was that she would consider it work rather than fun.

Thanks, all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories is a lot of fun, but you will lose to the game a lot. Does she mind losing if it's not to another person? You might also consider Lord of the Rings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red November is what your looking for .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This geeklist has the best Co-op games and it tells you the best number for each...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/38501

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.