Gerald M. Zabos
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a bit unsure what to await from my magazine subscription of the Strategy & Tactics magazine. My 6 magazine + game subscription started with #255 "First Battle of Britain: The Air War over England, 1917-1918". After reading the rules and a few plays, me and my regular wargaming partner are really excited about this game.

This is a session report from one of our games. We played with standard rules - no optional rules. I will handle each Turn as a separate section.

Players:
German: Gerald (me!)
Britain: Dominik

Initial Setup - Britain:
Morale Points: 0
Britain - HQ:
- HQ 47 - Canturbury (3012) +1 AA

Britain - Aerodromes:
- Folkstone (3115) / +1 AA / +2 Squadrons /
- Dover (3314) / +1 AA / +2 Squadrons /
- Margate (3310) / +1 AA / +2 Squadrons /
- Throwley (2712) / +1 Squadron /
- East Church (2710) / +2 Squadrons /
- Goldhanger (2605) / +1 Squadron /
- St. Omer (4119) +1 AA / +1 Squadron /

Britain - AA:
- Walmer (3313)
- Ramsgate (3311)
- Colchester (2804)
- Ipswich (3001)

[British setup]

Initial Setup - German:
Morale Points: 0
German - HQ:
- "England" HQ - Ostende (4812)

German - Aerodromes:
- Zeebrugge (5110) / +1 AA / +2 Squadrons
- Ghistelles (4913) / +1 AA / + 2 Squadrons
- Mariakirke (4813) / +1 AA / + 2 Squadrons

German - AA:
- no AA present

MAY 1917:
Planning Phase die rolls: German: 4 / Britain: 1, German goes first.

Random Events Phase - German: DR: 6 -> Morale Cracks -> not applicable because not one player has 10+ MP
Random Events Phase - Britain: DR: 12 -> From the front -> nothing to report.

RAF Creation Phase: skipped

Redeployment Phase: skipped, not on Turn 1

Reinforcement Phase: skipped, not on Turn 1

Recon Phase: skipped, by both players.

Gentlemen's War Phase: skipped, players want to proceed with flying turns.

German Flying Turn 1 - Movement :
- 2 Squadrons take off at Zeebrugge and form Mission Group 1. Mission group moves 6 hexes: 5110 -> 4507

- 2 Squadrons take off at Ghistelles and form Mission Group 2. Mission group moves 6 hexes: 4913 -> 4517

- 2 Squadrons take off at Mariakirke and form Mission Group 3. Mission group moves 6 hexes: 4813 -> 4417

German Flying Turn 1 - Air to Air Combat :
- no contact

German Flying Turn 1 - Bombardment :
- no enemy installations ahead

British Flying Turn 1 - Movement :
- 1 Squadron takes off at St. Omer, moves 4 hexes: 4119 -> 4417 -> "ENEMY AHEAD!"

- 1 Squadron takes off at Goldhanger, moves 6 hexes: 2605 -> 3206

- 2 Squadrons take off at Folkstone, form Mission Group A. Mission group moves 6 hexes: 3115 -> 3718

- 2 Squadrons take off at Dover, form Mission Group B. Mission group moves 7 hexes: 3314 -> 4018

- 2 Squadrons take off at Margate, form Mission Group C. Mission group moves 7 hexes: 3310 -> 4014

- 2 Squadrons take off at East Church, form Mission Group D. Mission group moves 7 hexes: 2708 -> 3409

British Flying Turn 1 - Air to Air Combat :
- British 66th Squadron of Sopwith Pup Fighters, is spotting 2 German Squadrons: Jasta-1 with Albatros Fighters and 17th Gotha Bomber Sqadron. The German Mission Group decides to attack ! The Squadrons engage in combat, but both sides leave without harming each other.

[ The 66th Squadron engages a german mission group ]

British Flying Turn 1 - Bombardment :
"Don't talk me into bloody bombardment, we're having trouble to intercept all those Krauts!"

German Flying Turn 2 - Movement :
- Mission Group 1 moves 6 hexes: 4507 -> 3906

- Mission Group 2 moves 6 hexes: 4517 -> 4119 "St. Omer is below us! Attack the aerodrome and watch out for the FlaK."The 13th & 14 Gotha Bomber Squadron are fired upon by AA. This leads to waste of fuel and a shattered formation, while trying to bypass the heavy FlaK fire. Mission Group 2 is split up, the 14th Gotha Bomber Squadron moves to 4219, while the 13th Gotha Bomber Squadron stays on target (4119).

- Mission Group 3. Mission group moves 1 hexes: 4417 -> 4316 "St. Pol is below - prepare for bombardment!" .

German Flying Turn 2 - Air to Air Combat :
- no contact

German Flying Turn 2 - Bombardment :
- Mission Group 3 attacks St. Pol. The 17th Gotha Squadron scores no direct hit and is heading back for friendly territory.

- 13th Gotha Bomber Squadron stays on target and commences bombardment on St. Omer aerodrome (4119), without inflicting any damage.

British Flying Turn 2 - Movement :
- The 66th Squadron disengages combat and moves: 4316 -> 4715

- 1 Squadron is holding position above the North Sea (3206).

- Mission Group A moves 4 hexes: 3718 -> 4119. The 75th and 78th Squadron move in to attack the 13th Gotha Bomber Squadron over St. Omer.

- Mission Group B moves 2 hexes: 4018 -> 4219. The 33th and 38th Squadron attack the 14th Gotha Bomber Squadron.

- Mission Group C moves 4 hexes: 4014 -> 4316. The 50th and 36th Fighter Squadrons attack the German Mission Group over St. Pol !

- Mission Group D moves 4 hexes: 3409 -> 3906. The 76th and 77th Fighter Squadrons find nothing at the reported location. It seems that British intelligence was fooled with fake informations.

British Flying Turn 2 - Air to Air Combat :
- 66th Squadron searches the sky near the trenches...

- Mission Group A is closing in for an attack on the 13th Gotha Bomber Squadron. But the German Bomber Squadron chooses to avoid combat and is heading towards their home base.

- Mission Group B is attacking the 14th Gotha Bomber Squadron. The 33th and 38th gain no ground. The attack fails.

- Mission Group C is attacking Jasta-1 and 17th Gotha Bomber Squadron. Although the 50th and 36th initiate the contact, they can't land any effect on the German Mission Group.

British Flying Turn 2 - Bombardment :
"Don't talk me into bloody bombardment, we're having trouble to intercept all those Krauts!"

German Flying Turn 3 - Movement :
- 13th Gotha Bomber Squadron moves 6 hexes: 4119 -> 4716. Orders:"Retreat and avoid contact with enemy!"

- The 17th Gotha Bomber Squadron returns to the friendly aerodrome at Ghistelles, where it lands. (4316 -> 4913)

- The 14th Gotha Bomber Squadron moves 1 hex to St. Omer and attacks prepares to attack the aerodrome (4219 -> 4119). AA fire is heavy, but the 14th stays on target.

- Jasta-1 is heading for St. Omer and engages the 75th and 78th British Squadrons, to provide cover for the 14th Gotha Bomber Squadron. (4316 -> 4119)

German Flying Turn 3 - Air to Air Combat :
- Jasta-1 is attacked by 75th and 78th Squadrons, but to no effect. Jasta-1 turns the tide of the battle, 75th and 78th have to split their formation.

German Flying Turn 3 - Bombardment :
- 14th Gotha Bomber Squadron stays on target and commences bombardment on St. Omer aerodrome, without inflicting any serious damage.

British Flying Turn 3 - Movement :
- The 66th Squadron moves 1 hex and intercepts the 13th Gotha Bomber Squadron on its way back home: 4715 -> 4716

- 1 Squadron is moves 6 hexes to Goldhanger and lands at the aerodrome: 3206 -> 2605

- The 75th and 78th Squadron join up at (3516) on their way back to Folkstone.

- The 38th Squadron moves 5 hexes: 4219 -> 4716, where it joins the 66th Squadron to intercept the 13th Gotha Bomber Squadron.

- The 36th and 50th Squadron move 4 hexes: 4316 -> 4119 and engage two German squadrons: Jasta-1 and 14th Gotha Bombers.

- The 33th Fighter Squadron moves 7 hexes: 4219 -> 3515 on its way back to Dover aerodrome.

- Mission Group D moves 7 hexes and lands at Margate aerodrome: 3906 -> 3308.

British Flying Turn 3 - Air to Air Combat :
- British 38th and 66th Squadrons attack the 13th Gotha Bomber Squadron. The attack is not successfull, as the Gotha Bomber manage to disengage combat unharmed.

- British 36th and 50th Squadrons engage Jasta-1 and 14th Gotha Bombers. A successful hunt. Most of the Gotha Bombers get damage, but manage to return to friendly territory. The ground crews predict it will take a few weeks until those bombers will take off again. Probably July 1917.

British Flying Turn 3 - Bombardment :

German Flying Turn - 4 Movement :
- 13th Gotha Bomber Squadron moves 4 hexes to Ghistelles aerodrome and safely lands. 4716 -> 4913

- Jasta-1 is still in combat over St. Omer. (4119)

German Flying Turn - 4 Air to Air Combat :
- Jasta-1 challenges the british 36th and 50th Squadrons over St. Omer. Outnumbered, Jasta-1 gets beaten up. All airplanes get damaged but return to their home base. After repairs, Jasta-1 reaches full numbers again in June 1916.

German Flying Turn - 4 Bombardment :
- no bombardment missions

British Flying Turn - 4 Movement :
- All British Fighter Squadrons return to their aerodromes.

MAY 1917 is over
Scoring results: Britain scores 2 Morale Points ( ) for damaging Jasta-1 and 14th Gotha Bomber Squadrons. German side scores no points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Massey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid I couldn't get past the mis-spelling of CantErbury on the first map picture!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Rutan wrote:
I'm afraid I couldn't get past the mis-spelling of CantErbury on the first map picture!
damm! and ME neither, oh wait! why YES I shall "inspitefully" of your admonishion at that!
GOOD "Jorb"!
arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooo the game is FUN to play then? Looks pretty cool. I like the victory conditions-map is a little 'naked' on the detail side though-but game play is most important-maps can be changed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils R.
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
Feel my presence
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't you forget the German bomber ace during setup?
In our game the British player found it very hard to deal with a German Kill stack of 3 Gotha bombers with an ace, since the Brit can only engange them with 2 squadrons at once they will likely get obliterated by a 9 fp attack and need to be very lucky to score damage themeselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.