Subject: What is function of "Game Weight" from Heavy to Light??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul G
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I am assuming a light game would be a simple game like "Connect Four" or something because you don't need to get all that into it and such to play and enjoy the game. (shorter games)

Medium Weight: Is like a game that makes you think a bit and kind of get competitive without really investing an afternoon or ending the game in tears.

A heavy game would maybe be a game like "Risk" or any other game where a lot of complex thinking and strategy must be used in order to get the most out of it. (longer games)

I know this may seem obvious to most, but I looked around and didn't really find any concrete definition. (even in the glossary)

Glad I found this site, and recently went into our local game store and I think I found a new hobby. Plus my significant other is very competitive and open to trying new games and such. (but I have to find them) he he he
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There really isn't a definitive definition.

We even admit to that here: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Weight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Georgia
msg tools
To be totally honest, it is based on the actual weight...
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Witzany
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What is (the) function of "Game Weight" from Heavy to Light???
You'll notice that everyone has their own idea about what constitutes "light" versus "medium" versus "heavy"--almost every game has been given each of these ratings. People who play wargames consider Risk to be fairly lightweight, for example, and there's probably someone somewhere who thinks Uncle Wiggily is just impossibly complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It ain't heavy, its my brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To quote Oscar Madison, "It's GARBAGE!!!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I thought it had to do with how hard it was to read the directions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good way to find games that you might like is to find other people who have similar tastes, and see what they think about new games.

You can also post a thread, telling us what you like and what you're looking for, and we can suggest some ideas.

It's great that you've started filling in your collection; if you add ratings and comments, that will be even more helpful if you ask for recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MagicMan08 wrote:
A heavy game would maybe be a game like "Risk" or any other game where a lot of complex thinking and strategy must be used in order to get the most out of it. (longer games)

Risk? Heavy? cry cry cry

Erm, sorry... blush

Length of play need not have any bearing on game weight. Monopoly can drag on for hours, as can Zombies!!! on a bad day, but both are very lightweight sets of rules. Whereas experienced Advanced Squad Leader (king of the heavyweight wargames) players can finish certain scenarios in only an hour or two.

No, weight is a matter of difficulty in learning & remembering the rules, and how many need be applied all at once. Even so, there really should be at least two weight scales, one for wargamers, one for other types - Risk, as mentioned, drops off the light end of the scale for wargamers, whereas even a relatively simple wargame like Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 would be a hard read for many non-wargamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul G
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I am obv. as you guys can see a relative newb to the whole gaming scene. I guess I was kind of tossing out something to show a generalization of my understanding....and found out exactly what I was asking for

As far as adding to my collection I really don't have much as of right now except for the basic board games most every household owns....and lots of Trivial Pursuits But this should be changing in the future....

As far as recommendations go.....I think I am trying to find out what type of games I really enjoy by doing some research on some of the better two player games through geek lists and by simple trial and error. Our local game shop has a relatively large library where you can rent games for a nominal fee and upon return you get half back in store credit. Which is really cool. And the guy that runs it is a stand up guy and very willing to explain games and offer recommendations. He either really likes games, or is a very good salesman. I say probably both.

I think I have FINALLY found something entertaining to do with my girlfriend besides watch movies, tv, and eat out. And something else to occupy my time instead of my 360! Now if I had friends to play some of these games with me.....(where is that gamer zip code search again, he he he) Also I think maybe my local university may have a board game club, and if they don't....this fall I may start one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MagicMan08 wrote:
I am obv. as you guys can see a relative newb to the whole gaming scene. I guess I was kind of tossing out something to show a generalization of my understanding....and found out exactly what I was asking for

As far as adding to my collection I really don't have much as of right now except for the basic board games most every household owns....and lots of Trivial Pursuits But this should be changing in the future....

As far as recommendations go.....I think I am trying to find out what type of games I really enjoy by doing some research on some of the better two player games through geek lists and by simple trial and error. Our local game shop has a relatively large library where you can rent games for a nominal fee and upon return you get half back in store credit. Which is really cool. And the guy that runs it is a stand up guy and very willing to explain games and offer recommendations. He either really likes games, or is a very good salesman. I say probably both.

I think I have FINALLY found something entertaining to do with my girlfriend besides watch movies, tv, and eat out. And something else to occupy my time instead of my 360! Now if I had friends to play some of these games with me.....(where is that gamer zip code search again, he he he) Also I think maybe my local university may have a board game club, and if they don't....this fall I may start one.

You sound almost exactly like me about 2.5 years ago (including the Trivial Pursuits) - except that I'm married and probably about 25 years older. Enjoy your ramp up into the world of real board games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DrT11 wrote:
To be totally honest, it is based on the actual weight...
shake

ASL still tops the list then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MagicMan08 wrote:
Also something else to occupy my time instead of my 360!

You can merge the two as well, don't forget, great boardgames like Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, and Settlers of Catan are available on X-Box Live!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the rule book is actually a book you can be quite sure you are talking about a heavy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.