Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I begin with my regular introduction, I must apologize to those people who frequent my posts, I’ve been out of touch for some time. The same kidney stones that allowed me to be so zealous in typing my reviews has now made it almost impossible for me to get some time to myself. Missing almost a month of college is straight torture my friends. But alas, my personal issues are not what bring us here today, it’s a game that I recently acquired on a whim, and have been extremely happy with my purchase, Container.

I am not what I would call a "casual" gamer, but it's also not the only thing that I do with my free time. I, like most people who read this site, first turned here on a whim, researching a game I wished to purchase, Puerto Rico in fact. But I've been reading reviews here for over a year, and decided it was time that I started reviewing the games in my collection.

I am a 20 year old college Junior, with several good friends and roommates that forms my playing base. While that information may seem unnecessary, I like to know where people are coming from when I read a review from them, so there's a little information about me for you readers.

I own many board games, honestly, my board game collection is one of my most expensive things that I own. I find learning the new strategies and rules behind a game, not only exhilarating, but extremely fun and challenging.

My gateway game was The Settler of Catan, and it led me down the road to my love affair with Euro games. I now have a collection of mostly Euro games, although there are some select war games that are included.

So that's me,

And now we're going to discuss a game that actually comes in it’s namesake, Container :).

1. The Components
This game is not too expensive. I paid 45 dollars for it at my local game shop, so it’s not like purchasing Agricola or Twilight Emperium, but it’s also not necessarily cheap also. The game comes with 100 wooden painted containers that are the goods available for production, storage, and shipping. It also comes with wooden warehouses, machines for production, and ships that my friends and I have not yet been able to determine what exactly they are made of. I vote that they are made of brick. But we’re not exactly sure. I’m sure the first response I get will be someone telling me what they’re made of, which I will greatly appreciate. Because each player has their own player sheet, at first glance, the individual player sheets look pretty cheap, but they’re actually the same material that full games are made out of. Components are great for what you pay for. Also I have to praise the thick, nice paper that the rulebook comes on. It’s quite laughable, when I picked up the rulebook I was shocked at how many pages there were, but then realized that it was only because the 8 page rules come in 8 different languages.

2. The Theme
I love the theme of this game. So far we’ve played 10 games, each except one with 4 players, the other one with 5. The neat thing about this game is that given the different actions you can take per turn, up to two, there are essentially three roles to fill in this game. The first role is the production of new goods, second, storage of goods in warehouses by purchasing them from other players, lastly the acquiring and shipping of those goods. Players usually choose to perform one of the first two actions, as well as ship. So far we’ve noticed no trend in the path the winner seems to take, except they’ve all shipped, and they’ve not all necessarily had the most Containers on their island.

On a side note, our first game, which we truly don’t count as a play, was a four-player game, where two players made shipments to the foreign island quickly. For those who don’t know, this is how you make the most money in the game. These two players chose to not spread money to anyone else. They thought this would secure them the best spots in the game, however, the other two players in the game, were unable to buy things from those players, and the game literally went stagnant. Even though I, as one of the rich players, tried to save the game by handing out money like Obama, it didn’t work. Let’s hope that it’s not a foreshadow of what is to come in the real world.

The reason I bring this up, is to show that this game has a real, working economy that is very fragile. As we sat down to play the eighth game, a new player asked what a decent score was and we told him that it’s really hard to guess, it depends on the prices in game. We’ve had a game where the winning player had close to 200 dollars, and one where every player was below 100 dollars. It all just depends upon how the market works as the game progresses.

3. The Concept
Using your two actions, you either produce, buy and store, build machines or warehouses to enhance those two options, or move your ship around to collect and ship goods. The neat thing about this game is that even though you want to win, you’re also playing with the other players at the same time. So, you don’t want to ever really “screw” anyone, because you’ll need their help eventually. I must say that the game is quite fun. You start with a hidden card that gives you the end game value of each of the goods that you need to get to your section of the island. The catch is that you must always interact with other players. You cannot store your own goods, nor ship your own goods. Therefore you must buy goods from other players to either store them or ship them, and it is very uncommon for you to actually purchase your own shipment as well. Players bid silently on the shipments that are going to the island. You may either accept their bid, and receive the same amount of money from the bank, or you may pay the highest bid yourself and take those containers yourself.

4. The Ending
This game is very close usually. Because the value of players containers are hidden, it’s difficult to know who is going to win. Each player must eliminate the good on their section of the island that they have shipped the most of, and therefore you want to have the most of your lowest numbered container, to use the rest for points. This makes the game fairly interesting.

5. The Game play
As I said above, you use your two actions to maximize your profits. You need to understand also that every dollar you keep for yourself, is a dollar that you keep out of the hands of other players, however you don’t want to completely cripple them, or they will not be able to spend money on your island any more. You want to find the right niche for the abilities you have in the game.

6. Replayability
This game is very short as we’ve played it. We’re not experts, but we’ve never had a game stretch over an hour. Also the games move very quickly, to the fact that the two actions are over in close to anywhere from a minute to five minutes. I personally like games that have lots of turns that move fairly quickly, and I tend to get bored of games with turns that take 20 minutes. The game that comes to mind, first, is Axis and Allies, where turns take painfully long, especially with new players. So our group has played this game 10 plays since I’ve picked it up less than a week ago. We have a good passion for this game and we’re definitely not bored of it and don’t think we will be.

7. The "Luck" Factor
Really there’s not a lot of luck to this game. You price your goods and if you have the right goods at the right price, no matter what they’re being used for, they’ll be bought by the other players. You need to be a shrewd business man to make your money in this game, although if the goods you need aren’t being shipped, which really would be rare, I suppose that would be unlucky, but really if you are producing the goods you need, they’ll be shipped.

Conclusions:
Container is a great game. One of my new favorites in fact. I love the fact that the game has it’s own working economy.

As an aside, graduating from high school, I had to write two senior theses, one of which was based upon virtual economies in World of Warcraft. So economics interests me. Greatly, and this game sates my hunger for that love and interest. If you’re looking for a good game, this is a great addition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel J
United States
Iowa City
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:

This game is very short as we’ve played it. We’re not experts, but we’ve never had a game stretch over an hour.

Wow, for some reason I was under the impression it played closer to two hours. You may have just sold me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, the game moves a lot quicker than you think it would!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our games average 150 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to the wide-open economy of the game, its duration is heavily dependent on the number of players and their personal AP factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ships are made of resin. A sort of plastic that's really hard. It's not moulded or injected, but rather "printed" layer upon layer. This makes it easier to have more detail, but it's more fragile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Young
United Kingdom
Feltham
Middlesex
flag msg tools
Crumpets Buttered and Tea, what more could you ask for in life
badge
Crumpets Buttered and Tea, what more could you ask for in life
mbmbmbmbmb
fattylumpkin wrote:
reddish22 wrote:

This game is very short as we’ve played it. We’re not experts, but we’ve never had a game stretch over an hour.

Wow, for some reason I was under the impression it played closer to two hours. You may have just sold me!

The game can take 1 hour but also depends on who your playing with. With the group I play with it can become very lively and slows down the game due to the table talk... but its still a good game even for 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
The same kidney stones that allowed me to be so zealous in typing my reviews has now made it almost impossible for me to get some time to myself. Missing almost a month of college is straight torture my friends.

boardgames...the best medicine. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Why
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to try this game again. Our first (and only) game was last June ... a 4-player game where the "fragile" economy completely collapsed. It's been difficult getting this back to the table after that experience. I think we treated this too much like a development game instead of being more careful about money. We all spent our funds on factories before actually making any money and at least two of us ended up in severe debt and could not recover.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting review ... makes me want to give this another chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Winterhalter
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Our games average 150 minutes.

You're doing even better than we are- we average 180. My girlfriend is very prone to Analysis Paralysis though, and that's part of the time sink
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how a game would take that long if you have a sufferer of AP, and I do suppose that our group is one of the best about it. Our record time for a game of settlers is 11 minutes :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Winterhalter
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
I can see how a game would take that long if you have a sufferer of AP, and I do suppose that our group is one of the best about it. Our record time for a game of settlers is 11 minutes

Wow. surprise

I don't think our group's managed to do starting placements for Settlers in 11 minutes.

I wish...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya. We get pretty into it. If you look at the games I own, we really only play the hard stuff, so a game of Settlers almost feels like a connect the dots game anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
reddish22 wrote:
Our record time for a game of settlers is 11 minutes :)

I am surprised and doubtful. A typical Settlers of Catan game lasts 9-12 rounds. At 11 minutes that's an average of less than 15 seconds for each player to roll the dice, negotiate and make trades, collect resources and build -- and that's assuming no lost time in inter-player handoffs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be doubtful, but from the first roll to decide turn order and the last the game lasted eleven minutes. It was kind of a blow out in my favor to be honest, one of those games where the rolls were just abnormal in my favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.