Subject: Trying to get the point of the game from scratch rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bert Nerdsen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider buying this game and have read some of the rules so far. I especially like the idea of a hidden traitor among the players.

What the rules don't tell me is how the *game mechanisms* are affected by the paranoia which emerges from the above fact. Of course it is very funny to accuse each other, but I guess that this issue has impact on the game itself.

What are the options of the players to deal with a presumed cylon? What can they infact do with him (who is or is not a clyon)?

edit typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the locations on Galactica (And some card effects) can put a character onboard Galactica in the brig, such a character cannot draw cards or contribute more than one card to skill checks, also, if an unrevealed Cylon decides to reveal in the brig, he doesn't get his special reveal ability and just joins the Cylon fleet.

Of course, if one or 2 Cylons manage to throw everyone else in the brig, the humans are in quite a bit of trouble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Simon
United States
Ashley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike Shadows Over Camelot you can accuse all you want and it does not do anything in game. An accused Cylon does not need to reveal him or herself.

If you suspect that someone is a Cylon, you can try to send them to the brig. This is done by a skill check that everyone contributes to, so if you want to succeed in sending them to the brig, you had best convince at least one or two others to get them to help you on the skill check.

Someone in the brig can only contribute one card to skill checks. So if you are wrong and send a human to the brig, you have hurt yourself because they can only put one card in on checks (plus, you'll have to waste cards getting them out later). But if they are a Cylon, then they can only put in one damaging card into skill checks and cannot use the damaging part of their Cylon ability when they reveal.

There are also Quorum cards that are controlled by the President that can put someone in the brig (or pardon someone in the brig). Also, a couple of Crisis cards have the option (or requirement) of putting someone in the brig depending on how the skill check comes out.

If you are in the brig, you can try to get out by passing a skill check, but you can only put in one card (since you are in the brig), but everyone else can put in as many as they want. So if you are trying to get out, you had better convincingly state your case.

This also means that even if you are human, another player may think your action is suspect and try to brig you thinking you are a Cylon. Or they might be a Cylon player and try to throw you in the brig to hurt humanity's cause.

So there is a lot to do after you accuse someone and the paranoia is well justified and there are means of acting on it, but most of the time you may to convince others to pull it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Nerdsen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your quick replies. Those really round my first impression. The game looks very promising indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone will hold the Admiral title. They get control of 2 nuke tokens which can be used in times of desparation to severly damage or destroy a basestar (the cylon's capital ship). The Admiral also makes decisions as appropriate on certain crisis card, and also decides where the fleet goes when it does an FTL jump through drawing 2 cards and resolving one of them. No1 else is allowed to look at the discarded destination card. Another interesting thing is that the presidency and admiralship can change hands.

There, the admiral can be suspect if using a nuke "too early", or when the situation isn't dire enough. Likewise, the admiral can be suspect if he decides to hold onto nukes when many feel he should be using it. As for the destinations, the fact that no1 is allowed to see the discard can create suspicion. "Is he really working with what he has, or is he purposely holding us back?". There is a way for a player to Launch Scout (a skill card) to see what one of the upcoming destination or crisis card is. That could let that player who scouted the destination deck know that the admiral purposely discarded the destination card that player left on top of the deck.

Another thing is, unlike many other of my semi/co-op games I've played... there aren't that many types of cards so to speak in one's hands. There are 10 different types of skill cards, but since players only draw a subset of them, they'll only see 3 to 8 different types in the course of the game. The president's hand of Quorum cards has some variety at 10 different types, but it's unlikely one would see all of them either. Probably 3 to 7 different kinds on average as well.
There are many different types of loyalty cards of the "You are a cylon" variety that have a different relatively nasty effect when you reveal outside the brig. If someone's a suspected cylon, people will think what kind of this loyalty card he has.

There is a huge variety of Crisis cards, so all the interesting situations there are what the focus is. How players handle the situations and how the outcome was rather than "which card should I play", since there aren't that many special abilities to begin with.

Last but not least, BSG has charater powers, "one-time super powers", and weaknesses which give each character more depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James White
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I think the character cards really add value to the game: you really feel like you have a unique, indispensable position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.