Popular Tags: [View All]
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at this one and I like the theme, but my wife isn't too into it. She will usually play anything I get, but when it comes to auction/bidding, it has to be such a minor part of the game that the other mechanics overshadow it..if it's the essence of the game, like Ra or Medici, she won't play it. shake

We recently got YS, which I really like, and I was worried she wouldn't enjoy it since the blind bidding is such a prevalent part of the play. She surprised me though and told me she liked it. What is your opinion on Container? Is there enough other things going on that she won't notice the bidding? I know this is a subjective question, but I'm just looking for thoughts I can use to convince her. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the game is a raw economic exercise, it does have an extremely strong auction component. I suspect that your wife does not enjoy auction games because she is not skilled (or just doesn't enjoy) trying to calculate the value of lots. This is a critical skill in Container.

Answer: I'm sorry to say but you must pass this awesome, classic, all-time great game up, unless you are able to gather at least 3 other people and find your wife something else to do on game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Container is a brutal and difficult game. Definitely a gamer's game. Don't ask if your wife will like it based on bidding--ask if she is enough of a gamer to enjoy this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forget it. If you can't get her to play Ra or Medici you'll have no chance with Container.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Container is a brutal and difficult game. Definitely a gamer's game. Don't ask if your wife will like it based on bidding--ask if she is enough of a gamer to enjoy this one.

no problem here....we're both big gamers and she can handle long and heavy games. the question I had was with the mechanics, which so far the replies have advised against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Tough call. Determining lot values to yourself is fairly easyer. Predicting lot values to others is fairly hard. There is a far amount of auctioning and bidding in the game, but there's also a lot of setting prices and shopping. It is hard to predict which would dominate her impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my wife is not a fan of auction games, either.....unless the auction is blind bidding or some other non-round-the-table-increasing-bid type of auction; and blind bidding is the auction mechanic in Container, and my wife very much enjoys Container. And while auctions are the heart of Container, it is not the only mechanic in the game.
Is Container a deep and heavy game? Most certainly; BUT the rules are simple enough, and as long as a stern talk is given before the game about the evils of sending money out of the economy, I think people who normally tolerate only medium weight games would enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The auction element in Container doesn't come in to play every round, but just every few rounds. That being said, the outcome of the auctions is really important. So while there aren't that many auctions in the game (as opposed to the other actions), they do play a major role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided that the game iself is deceiving in its simplicity. It's fairly easy to teach and in less than 10 minutes everyone can be up an running, making, buying and selling containers. But it's a very deep game and the there is a real balancing act to make on a tricky economic system, and if you aren't used to making those decisions because you play a lot of games, it's going to be tough. So despite the short ruleset and simple mechanics, it might be more of a gamer's game.

As for auction and bidding, that's the key to the game. But it only happens when someone brings a shipment of containers to island and it's a one time silent auction. So everyone places a bid and the highest wins. The kicker is that the seller gets equal amount as subsidy from the bank so if you are bidding $15 on a shipment you are effectively putting $30 in someone else's coffers. Have you ever played Modern Art? I personally think there are some similarities there as far as the auction goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.