Popular Tags: Wargame [+] [View All]
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry and I responded directly to MMP HQ to personally select and receive my copy of PanzerBlitz: Hill of Death today.

Oh Man....everone the wait IS worth it! This has to be one of MMP's best produced games....ever!

The Map is similar in artwork as World at War: Blood and Bridges!

As I opened my copy, the counters, map, scenario cards, rule booklet were totally awesome! You too will be very pleased...

Updates to continue. For now, I have to assemble this little baby.

Epp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A picture is worth a 1000 words! Photos, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spare Tire
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my copy as well, looking forward to setting this one up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blad
United States
Mesa
AZ - Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MMP rarely posts rules online...there are none posted so far, and unless there is a ton of errata, I would not expect to see an online version posted any time soon. It's just not their way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
anarchy wrote:

Posted on CSW:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Package Contents:

The Goodies included in box:

Mounted Mapboard:

The Dreaded Hill of Death!

Scenario Cards (4):

Wrecked and Improved Position Counters:

German Counters:

Allied Armor Counters:

British Typhoons (how sweet!):

Presented to you by the PastaBlitz Game Club of MD:

By Order of the Queen!
Epp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:

Feast your eyes on the recently added pics!

I have to be the first ever to mount my PanzerBlitz!

Noticed I used a deep blood-red mat...sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Fryer
United States
Woodstock
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incident to the mission to MMP Hdq. by the Pastablitz Gaming Club, we broke out Twilight Struggle (U.S. beat the U.S.S.R. in turn 6) and Storm Over Arnhem (declared a draw after four turns in our initial learning game). By the Order of the Queen, let the dice roll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the pics. That is a bummer about the rules. I think the more you show the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTE TO AIRMEN:

ninja This is how you take Hill 112 !!!!

Muhahahahahahaha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HauRuck wrote:
Panzer wrote:
MMP rarely posts rules online...there are none posted so far, and unless there is a ton of errata, I would not expect to see an online version posted any time soon. It's just not their way...

Yeah I know. How long is the rulebook though? Whats its feel? Is it anything like the ASL SK's? Is it too simple? Too complex?

Wargames are so varied as are wargamers in tastes its tough to gauge without the rules.

I liked the old game and was dissappointed to read the new one has almost no relation. Did that turn out to be true? or is it similar in certain ways?

Sorry I failed to respond to your question. Caught a cold last night and feel like @**P!

The rulebook is as follows:

- 16 Pages in what looks like 10 or 11 font type.

- The rule booklet is all black-n-white type and examples are too in BW.

- The rules appear to follow the sequence of play. For the short reading I did thus far (barring this freakin cold), the rules explain everything clearly.

- Here are the main sections (20):

1.0 Introduction
2.0 Game Components and Scale (Hex=250 yards/15 min per turn)
3.0 Game Turn Sequence of Play
4.0 Movement Rules (Transport-Amphibious-Terrain rules are covered)
5.0 Line of Sight (LOS) (clearly written)
6.0 Spotting Rules
7.0 Combat (Direct Fire, Anti-Tank/Personnel, Opportunity Fire, Reaction Fire,and Assault Fire)
8.0 Overruns
9.0 Close Assault Tactics (CAT)
10.0 Panzer Blitz Assaults
11.0 Indirect Fire and Artillery Units
12.0 Smoke Rules
13.0 Efficiency (recovering from disruption)
14.0 Terrain rules
15.0 Artificial Terrain and Positional Defenses (wrecks, minefields, improved positions, fortifications, and hull-down).
16.0 Air Support
17.0 Engineers
18.0 Play Notes
19.0 Designer's Notes
20.0 Credits

Most of these sections are explained in a single page to a few paragraphs. Movement, LOS, Combat, and Terrain are on 2 pages each and are the bulk of the rules.

Also included are two pages of charts (front/back)and include:

1. Terrain Effect
2. LOS
3. Transport Table
4. Unit Function Table (AAA, Transporting, Indirect Fire, etc.)
5. Carry/Tow Abilities
6. Indirect Fire Scatter and Results Tables
7. Scatter Diagram
8. Mine Exchange Chart
------------------------

9. Direct Fire Table
10. Direct Fire Dice Modifier Chart
11. Results Data
12. Range Modifier Chart
and
13. Triple AAA Table

------------------------

coolI hope this helped!

Epp

(Edited for: mone is spelled MINE) Eak God man...you ARE sick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HauRuck wrote:
Thanks! That helped a lot. Sounds like a maneageable enough length of rules & complexity. Not too much towards either extreme of complexity. Seems like it might have a similar enough overall feel to the original. But what about replayability? Without the geomorphic maps is there enough scenario variety?

Is this going to end up with an endless array of Panzerblitz modules which are, in essence, just another map to play on?

If you take a look at the scenario cards in the pic section, you can see that each scenario only covers a portion of the map. There are a few that play the entire mapboard. I believe that these individual scenarios do offer several replays as this game is centered on a "chit pull" system so no two games will ever be a match.

I quickly glanced at this chit pull system and it is similar to another favorite, World at War series. Although PBHOD chit pull is not centered around formation groups, rather units that are in range of the player's pull chit can activate.

Per Rule (3.1.2.1):

The owning player of the chit drawn is th Phasing Player in this "mini-turn" phase. The phasing player (chit owner) degsignates a "hex" for activation and the Operations Chit (OP) is placed in the hex. These OP chits number from 0 to 2 (hex ranges).

Any Phasing Player's units within the OP range are activated (similar to World at War games).

Therefore, each game will be somewhat different from the later as results in combat, reaction movement, etc. will be different.

Of course I can see an endless stream of "addons" and "new" scenarios in the near future from MMP.

As for the map, I believe that there is plenty of space to conduct many operations. Time will tell of course, but I can see multiple battles unfolding on this battlefield.

As I read and absorb these rules, I can see the old PB come to light, but these are two different games for sure.

Quote:
As stated in the rule booklet; Decades of experience and thousands of situations played revealed the strength and weaknesses of the original game, and in PB-HOD we (MMP) have sought to maximize the former while deminishing the latter.

This is not a reprint, and I like what I see thus far!

Epp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Emge
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Glad to hear you like it. There is some errata. During a final revision of the stream rules I forgot to add what types of streams are are in play for HOD. All streams are rivers and are impassable.

Darren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Emge
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
The next edition is Planned to have Geomorphic maps.

As far as re-playability, someone already stated what I am posting here. The chit pull system really makes each playing of a scenario quite different.

I will give you the chit system is a double edge sword. It does add a certain amount of "luck", if you get a bad chit pull then things could degrade quickly but on the other side of this the chits force the players to pay attention and start planning out options based on the chits they have in the pool. Based on way to many replays of the same situation over again the Chit Gods can really add fluidity to game play.

If you have any comments or questions just send them my way.

Enjoy. I hope you all like it.

Darren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aleice wrote:
The next edition is Planned to have Geomorphic maps.

As far as re-playability, someone already stated what I am posting here. The chit pull system really makes each playing of a scenario quite different.

I will give you the chit system is a double edge sword. It does add a certain amount of "luck", if you get a bad chit pull then things could degrade quickly but on the other side of this the chits force the players to pay attention and start planning out options based on the chits they have in the pool. Based on way to many replays of the same situation over again the Chit Gods can really add fluidity to game play.

If you have any comments or questions just send them my way.

Enjoy. I hope you all like it.

Darren

Thank you Darren,

I'm still engaged in rule reading and fuddling my way through.

I think the chit-pull system is a great! I found during my test run, that you have to use vigilance when moving you combat units around the map. Careful attention to the distance between units can severely hamper your operations if you’re not careful.

This also adds to the "Fog of War" in the game. Very cool indeed!

BTW , I was searching the rulebook and had a difficult time locating a terrain key for the map (it might just be me). So I started a color version where I will upload to BBG soon.

The only terrain I could not locate on the map (and I know you listed all to encompass future maps) are the following:

1. Swamp
2. Gullies
3. Beach Hexes

I assume that there are no gullies, beaches, and/or swamps included on the map in PB:HOD. I don’t think the following hex image is a beach. I just want to make sure just incase someone wants to ask.

I cannot locate any gullies so I'm assuming there are none on the map.

I will post today the reference sheet minus the above terrain features.

Thanks again Darren for answering any potential questions.

Epp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spare Tire
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I found during my test run, that you have to use vigilance when moving you combat units around the map.

This is why I like chit pulls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonEpp wrote:
NOTE TO AIRMEN:

ninja This is how you take Hill 112 !!!!

Muhahahahahahaha

Yeah, right - WWII air CEP of +five miles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL...so true!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Emge
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
No Swamps, Beaches or Gullies on this map. The image you posted is just artistic freedom or run amok, whichever you prefer. If you have a reference sheet I would love to see. I have a short list of compiled Q&A, Q right now, that I am hoping to update this evening. I will try to post here, but I don't usually play in the forums on this site so am not real familar with it.

Darren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will sent to you now...

And thanks for anwering. I suspected as much...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goss
United States
Buhler
Kansas
flag msg tools
Fantastic looking product! Okay, so how long do we have to wait this time for the sequels, supplements, add-ons, extras, etc.?????
I don't think I'll be here in another 20+ years for the Eastern Front version.................laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Emge
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
If things work out there should be something in the next Special Edition MMP Operations, coming this summer.

Darren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aleice wrote:
If things work out there should be something in the next Special Edition MMP Operations, coming this summer.

Darren

Neat-o-Torpedo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Gerbino
United States
Cantonment
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is this going to end up with an endless array of Panzerblitz modules which are, in essence, just another map to play on?

I most certainly hope SO. Can't wait for more, more more. Further, I don't see any problems in the rules with using the old PB/PL maps and units with some minor fiddling only.

Product improved... check. Just need everyone to buy it so we can get some more real soon.

-james
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.