Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
The recent post by John Tamplin on BGN got me thinking...he says in the interview that some new designs might be published by Deep Thought as early as Fall of this year (2009).

This leads me to a personal question, and a general one:

In terms of the personal, I'm interested in 1849, an old Vellani design. For those who don't know, Vellani also designed 1841, which is currently being published by Deep Thought. John, therefore, presumably has contacts with Vellani, yet has opted to not republish 1849 for one reason or another. I would love to see it back in print, as extant copies fetch ungodly sums of money because of the small run that Lawson printed (sub-200?).

I imagine there are other, similar designs that have disappeared in the post-Lawson era. A quick scan through the 18XX game list brings up titles like 1876, 1851, and the like which are long OOP now.

I know that many of the most sought-after games, like 1830 and 1853, are tied up because of rights issues, but are there other obscure games that you, the 18XX fan are interested in? Related to this, and specifically directed at John: what does it take for you to reprint a game? It's clearly about both sales and rights, but how to you determine when the interest is high enough to justify a print?

I understand in the particular case that I'm highlighting that 1841 has a special reputation because of its monster nature that 1849 doesn't, but it seems like the Vellani name would be enough to draw a decent number of people in, and that a number of the titles in your existing catalogue were at least as obscure or moreso than games like 1849. (This just might be my ignorance at work, as I'm a neophyte 18XXer, but at least I'll be more informed at the end of the day if that's the case. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spare Tire
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that pretty much all of the 18xx titles that Deep Thought games publish are 'in print'.

Don't they make games on demand?

I've ordered many Deep Thought 18xx games in the past - and I must add that I have been *very* pleased with the productions.

These guys were a God-send to me as I struggled with a kit version some years ago and realized I just don't have the skill/time for that type of assembly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything they offer is in-print, but there are many things that they don't carry that were printed by earlier publishers such as Lawson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
1849: The Game of Sicilian Railways is one that is on my watch/wish list as well. The other game I have on that list is 1851: Kentucky & Tennessee as it is advertised as a shorter, simplier 18xx game as well.

Speaking of Mark Derrick (one of the designer's of 1851), I would gladly pay DTG to get their version of 18GA and 18AL. So still waiting for the rumoured 18Dixie merger of the two which I suspect would be published by DTG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulldozers
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight for new material. I know, I know,.... that JKLM was supposed ta reprint this one, but I have been trying to buy this since last Sept to no avail and that includes going through about 30 sellers in the UK and Europe.

I have 18EU and 18 FL on order. I need two person, 2 hour games if I am ever to actually get some played in the evenings anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 hours?

You're putting me at a loss...I don't think the 18XX system is actually capable of being played in that amount of time and to also leave enough time for the game to develop properly. Games like 18AL and 18GA which are already absurdly short still clock in at around 3-4 hours locally, and they feel too short for my personal tastes. Winnowing it down further than that? I think it would be difficult to do while still keeping the things I actually enjoy about the game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Tamplin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a 2-player Steam over Holland with Bart (its designer) at Essen '07 with lots of people milling around the booth in under 2 hours, and I have regularly played 1846 in 2.5-3 hours. Those are the shortest 18xx games I know of -- 1889, 18AL, and 18GA will all come in under 4 hours with fast players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
Level 2 of 18EZ is a sub-2 hour affair, but it would probably not be satisfying for a veteran 18xxer. (Sorry, had to get the plug in.)

I'm surprised not to see 18Scan on your short list. That is a full-featured game which can easily be played in 2 hours. (Unless we're playing it wrong. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I have mixed feelings on whether I would want DTG to produce the OOP Lawson games. I have the feeling they wouldn't get played as much as the other ones that are already in print. On the other hand, I love the first couple plays of a new 18xx when everyone is still figuring it out. Overall, I would rather 18NEB and 1834 were published first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
1831? John, aren't you the guy who could make that happen?! Do you hold the rights?

There's always lots of chit chat on the 18xx Yahoo group about how people want to get a chance to play that monster. Of course, that would be a big job for Mr. Tamplin to do the production/graphics etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Tamplin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have contacts with Federico Vellani, but I did have contact with Manlio Manzini which is how 1841v2 came into being.

I don't have that option for 1849 as Manlio wasn't one of the authors. To reprint a game that has already been published, aside from the rights issue I have to feel that there is sufficient demand to justify the effort. There have only been two that met that criteria so far: 1826 and 1841. 1889 is close, but I didn't really think that the Japanese publication counted for a primarily English-speaking audience and it was very hard to get, plus I really liked it for a quick and relatively simple game.

18GA will be included as a playable subset of 18Dixie (when and if Mark decides that is ready), but it seems like there wouldn't be enough interest to justify republishing it unmodified. There was actually some talk of doing 18AL when John Galt ships all of his leftover inventory, though I am less sure about that given the fanfare for the graphics redesign of 18AL (which IMHO looks very nice, but the aesthetics are at the expense of functionality) since I suspect some or many of the potential customers might prefer that version.

18Neb will be the next one published, and then 1834 will probably be the next one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottredracecar wrote:
1831? John, aren't you the guy who could make that happen?! Do you hold the rights?

There's always lots of chit chat on the 18xx Yahoo group about how people want to get a chance to play that monster. Of course, that would be a big job for Mr. Tamplin to do the production/graphics etc.

The rights are held by Carl's widow in Troy, NY. I can give her a call if John wants to produce it. She knows there in no money it, I am sure she would say OK.

It is a monster game, 12 hours of 18xx goodness. Except for a Campaign game UvC, no railroad game requires more 'Ass Time'. Carl really put his heart & soul into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
jtamplin wrote:
18Neb will be the next one published, and then 1834 will probably be the next one.

I'm really looking forward to 1834. Will it be posted for playtest? I suppose that would involve Tom being involved in the playtest process (maybe unlikely as he has his hands full with developing other games?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:
The rights are held by Carl's widow in Troy, NY. I can give her a call if John wants to produce it. She knows there in no money it, I am sure she would say OK.

Okay, sounds like John T. has his hands full. Maybe someone else would be up to the task.

Hey Drew Dane, how is the 18xx publishing business going for you? I certainly haven't heard any production quality complaints about 18EZ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
John Bohrer wrote:

I'd love to see 1831 get a wider release. Heck, we'd play it at least once a year here, probably more, along with our already steady diet of 18C2C.

Quote:
It is a monster game, 12 hours of 18xx goodness. Except for a Campaign game UvC, no railroad game requires more 'Ass Time'. Carl really put his heart & soul into it.

18C2C is perhaps a mite more gargantuan (we play every year) than 1831, but they are definitely in the same league.

While John notes the high effort required by 1889, I wonder if some of the other Japanese designs, like 1891 etc might also be possible? Some of them look quite interesting. Perhaps with a Japanese agent to help drive that side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
scottredracecar wrote:
I'm really looking forward to 1834. Will it be posted for playtest?

My impression from Tom is that 1834 has been played heavily and widely for many years now and is quite thoroughly cooked. Conversely I've read several complaints that 1831 is not fully cooked. If so, baking it the rest of the way is likely to be a major project. The pre-production effort (bazillions of reduced size track tiles, absurdly large map, gobs of companies, mountains of tokens, yada yada) is also likely to be large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Tamplin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1834 has been playtested in some form or other for quite a long time, so it is unlikely to see the same sort of playtest as David's games.

Mostly it is waiting on me to finish the last details. Aside from production issues, the feedback I have consistently received at playtests is that the ferries are too fiddly and the connection bonuses are too confusing. Tom simplified them considerably from earlier playtests and I think it is fine as-is personally, but every game I have played with others it was a constant source of confusion. So, I want to sit down and see if I can come up with an alternative that preserves the basic effect while making it easier to understand and implement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.