Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwiw, I have created a document that outlined the CARD differences between the base game and Epic.

Its starting point is "before Epic" so it includes changes made at X3 level AND the changes coming in Epic 2-- a couple of which alter things that happened in X3.

It will also give an exact breakdown of what cards and how many are included in the 100 card deck coming in the expansion.

I'm sending it to the Admin as soon as I post this, and will add the URL when it's posted.

Here is the file

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/41165
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks-- that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I had any reservations about purchasing expansion 5 before, but thanks for posting these so I can get a very good idea of what kind of changes are being made to the epic games. I am very much looking forward to the impact on the game that cards like Part Ranks and Pass Through and Retire and Reform will have.

I'm lukewarm about how Move-Fire-Move and Mounted Charge are toned down, but the flexibility afforded by them becoming Field Cards instead of Army Cards probably offsets that. I've already seen how powerful using Darken the Sky in conjunction with another Field Card can be - now if one section is being rained down upon with arrows while the calvary swoops in from another, I imagine the results could be pretty favorable

Thanks again, Kevin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, Todd. It struck me that "weakening" many cards like this actually gives you more tactical flexibility...more choices. That's usually a good thing. I have not played that many Epic games, but it occurred to me early that the "play only one" Army cards would often be a fairly weak response to whatever is going on in all those 3 big sections and I'd generally use them more as a "recovery" card, to build my hand size back up, when I didn't think it would hurt too much. That's not unusual for a "hand management" game, but it did feel limiting.

We'll see how it goes, but my inference is that these changes will make for more interesting games overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
I have not played that many Epic games, but it occurred to me early that the "play only one" Army cards would often be a fairly weak response to whatever is going on in all those 3 big sections and I'd generally use them more as a "recovery" card, to build my hand size back up, when I didn't think it would hurt too much. That's not unusual for a "hand management" game, but it did feel limiting.

Having those cards early and playing them early I think will give the side that does so an advantage later in the game - the similar card in BattleLore is often poo-poo'd but it is very useful in building ones hand. Being able to play it in a section where not much is happening while playing a stronger card in another section, then being able to draw three and select two will be a valuable way to help keep the action going in the direction one would like.

The card that seems the "stinker" still is Coordinated Attack. I had thought it would be replaced by the card Coordinated Advance, not just augmented by it. Still will have its use though

Quote:
We'll see how it goes, but my inference is that these changes will make for more interesting games overall.

I'll second that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.