Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Now, I'm the first player to say that I could be wrong here. And even if there is an advantage, I still like the game.

But has anyone else noticed a not insignificant first player advantage, at least with the basic setup?

In my house initial moves generally involve moving the center square one over on top of the other center square - giving the first player a significant positional lead (This seems to be the most common starting move lately)... Or moving an axiom to capture the center square, which, at least for me, has always ended up with the starting player being ahead in the square count.

I'm curious if others have discovered a way for black to even things out in the early game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaelistus wrote:
I'm curious if others have discovered a way for black to even things out in the early game.

Apart from the fact black is supposed to go first?

Sorry, that wasn't helpful at all. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikolaos Kamoudis
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i have change to a custom setup,problem solved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ghilardi
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
If the basic setup gives an advantage to P1 (and I don't know that it does), a simple modification is ready at hand. Just move one of P1's scepters to their middle cube. Do the same for P2, making sure that everything is kept symmetrical.

In addition to this, I would also recommend the simple setup variant which I have described in this thread: The View From Down Under. It allows scepters to pass beneath the matrix and up the other side without a first-move victory for P1.

Quote:
Or moving an axiom to capture the center square, which, at least for me, has always ended up with the starting player being ahead in the square count.

I don't understand this comment. There is no "center square". There are 2 upper middle cubes, one dark and one light. If P1 moves their scepter to the dark or light cube and P2 follows suit, where's the advantage to anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.