Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
for example, this:

The BoardGameGeek forum has received a new reply to the topic: "Is Galadriel a Companion? ".

View Article: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3276122#3276122

THIS IS CORRECT:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/392277

Actually it worked the second time I tried it just now... but this one has returned Files Doesn't Exist twice:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3275716#3275716
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
Avatar
mbmb
The article links are correct. The second item is an article that was posted and then deleted by the original poster after the notification went out.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
The article links are correct. The second item is an article that was posted and then deleted by the original poster after the notification went out.


I find this to be extremely annoying. I go to check the post, there IS no post, and now I have to go track back through all the junk in my inbox to find the LAST notification so I can actually get Geekmails about it in the future.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This keeps happening. I think the underlying reason is something else than quickly deleted posts.

Maybe delaying the sending of the notification for 5 minutes might solve whatever indexing issues are happening. I'm thinking that the notification propagates before the file system has updated the file information.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tried accessing it again, still not found.
Found it via the game title home page.
It did have a new post.

The URL on the game title page is different then the URL in the email notification.

A workaround would be to include the "hard" URL of the 1st post in the thread with the notification email, in a footnote. When the URL pointing the the latest post is screwed up, you can still visit the thread without having to click thru all the steps to get there via the game title home page.

Otherwise you won't get more notifications.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
I tried accessing it again, still not found.
Found it via the game title home page.
It did have a new post.

The URL on the game title page is different then the URL in the email notification.

A workaround would be to include the "hard" URL of the 1st post in the thread with the notification email, in a footnote. When the URL pointing the the latest post is screwed up, you can still visit the thread without having to click thru all the steps to get there via the game title home page.

Otherwise you won't get more notifications.


that is a good workaround. Link the thread URL in the email somewhere. I'd very much like that.

However, it really is a quick deletion problem. Someone makes a post and deletes it...others may have time to reply before it is deleted. You'll notice the URL sent to you is for a reply that no longer exists. and you don't get the URL for one further down the list because you have already been notified of a post.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the assigned number for the URL is sequential within each thread, then a "file not found" could automatically redirect to the previous number.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
If the assigned number for the URL is sequential within each thread, then a "file not found" could automatically redirect to the previous number.


Doing a quick check of both our posts, they are not. It appears Article IDs are globally sequential, not sequential within each thread, which makes sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.