Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Evading a Dimensional Shambler, other similar monsters like Nightgaunt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
basically, if you fail your evade, they will perform their combat damage which is what happens when you fail a combat check, correct?

i know you are supposed to be dealt combat damage, but they dont have any, and it says on their token that if you fail a combat check, so and so happens. but im not making a combat check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that the effect of a missed combat check applies, because when a "normal" monster is stated to deal its combat damage when you fail the evade check, it is essentially the same as saying you automatically fail a combat check against the monster.

In my games, we rules that their special effect takes place when you fail an evade check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:
basically, if you fail your evade, they will perform their combat damage which is what happens when you fail a combat check, correct?

i know you are supposed to be dealt combat damage, but they dont have any, and it says on their token that if you fail a combat check, so and so happens. but im not making a combat check.

Yes, that is correct. Fail the evade against DS, you are LiTaS. Fail against the NG, go through the nearest gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if you fail an evade check against the Dunwich Horror but have not drawn a DH card (this is done before making a Horror check)? Don't you just enter battle with no penalty first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
What happens if you fail an evade check against the Dunwich Horror but have not drawn a DH card (this is done before making a Horror check)? Don't you just enter battle with no penalty first?

I would definitely draw a DH card and apply the effects of damage. Why should the DH be any different from all other monsters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregaria wrote:
kungfro wrote:

I would definitely draw a DH card and apply the effects of damage. Why should the DH be any different from all other monsters?

My point exactly.

All other monsters do combat damage or their combat-failure effect if you fail to evade them. If you're trying to evade the Dunwich Horror to avoid combat and fail, it doesn't have a combat effect.

It does its combat damage/effect and then you enter combat. But the Dunwich Horror's combat/effect is *. A card is not supposed to be drawn until you enter combat and do the horror check, which means its only effect should be that you have to enter combat. Which I guess, is bad enough.

Once you're in combat and you fail to evade to end the combat, then the Horror does have an effect to apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm in agreement with Chris on this one- the DH is an exception to many rules, and I'd say that he's right in failing to evade the DH means entering combat with him but not taking any damage straight away. Definately bad enough on it's own.

Otherwise monsters that you fail to evade will automatically do their combat damage/damage effect. If you are still with them after this then you have to make the horror check, then you can try to fight or flee again.

It's also worth noting that if you run into a Nightgaunt whilst in another world you may want to fail to evade on purpose- it's effect will carry you back out to Arkham! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.