Subject: Question About Movement & Attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering whether anyone can clarify this for me? I think I'm correct in thinking that one of the options you can use a banner for is to make a single movement and then a single attack? And an attack can consist of moving your troops into a neutral or hostile territory.

So in theory, as your single movement could you move 3 units into a friendly territory already occupied by 2 friendly units. As your attack, could you then move this 5 unit army into a hostile territory and start an attack? In effect, your 3 unit army would have moved twice?

This doesn't seem right to me but from my reading of the rules it looks like that's how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, it is correct. It comes from the definition of "army", and it's been clarified by one of the designers in a previous thread [http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/386798]. You move a 3 unit army, and then you attack with a 5 unit army: these are two different armies, thus the move lies within the limitations of the die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:
these are two different armies, thus the move lies within the limitations of the die.

Note that it wouldn't matter whether they were different armies or not. You could move an army, then attack an adjacent province with it, resulting in a second 'move' of that same army.

It basically doesn't matter whether the attack is with the same army or not. That's also true if you use the die for two moves; they can be with two different armies, or with the same army, whichever you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the definition of 'attack' includes a 'free' movement, so to speak, not attacking when having the chance (and some odds in your favour) looks like a waste.

You can either move 2 armies, OR move one and attack, which may mean you move 2 armies AND attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, you use two redeploy movements into friendly territories to reorganize your troops. For example, it's not uncommon that you have army units spread in three different provinces (e.g. a damaged campaign army, and newly mustered units), and you do just two non-attacking movements to get your army to full 5-strength again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike WOTR, figures can move twice and the concept of an army appears to be "any number of figures from one province", ie it does not have to be all the figures.

I found the card "Nomad Horse" confusing in this respect. It mentions moving one army up to two times.

I read it as ONE army moves up to two friendly provinces and can then attack with THAT army. But this is confusing as the compostion of an army can change.

I assumed that
- you can move an army from Province A to friendly province B.
- Then an army from province B to friendly province C with any number of figures (can be more or fewer than the first move).
- Then attack from Province C to an adjacent province with any number of figures (can be more or fewer than the second move).

The important fact being the link of provinces as army composition varies

is this correct ??

It fits the idea of a horde.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is correct. The 'Nomad Horde' card has been recently (something like yesterday, I think...) FAQed in Italian: the army moved with 'Nomad Horde' can pick up and leave units on the way, as per normal movement rules, and the attack is not mandatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.