United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new polls are posted, or want to look at the results of prior polls, I have set up a subscription thread here = http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/328439

Poll: The 39th TGIF Poll
Have you ever hosted in your home, or visited in their home, a person that you met on Board Game Geek?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes, several times.
26.0% 67
Yes, once or twice.
19.0% 49
No, but I would be willing to.
47.7% 123
No, and I would prefer not to.
7.4% 19
Voters 258
Have you ever attended a gameday or convention that you learned about only because it was mentioned on BGG?
Yes, several times.
14.0% 36
Yes, once or twice.
24.4% 63
No, but I would be willing to.
58.5% 151
No, and I would prefer not to.
3.1% 8
Voters 258
How many guilds do you belong to on BGG?
30.9% 79
16.8% 43
16.4% 42
10.5% 27
6.2% 16
3.1% 8
1.6% 4
2.0% 5
2.3% 6
0.8% 2
10+
9.4% 24
Voters 256
This poll is now closed.   258 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Apr 2, 2009 6:00 am

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
For questions 1 and 2, I don't really recall, so I guessed. I mean, I may have read about something on BGG and attended, but I don't know that it would be solely because of BGG. Likewise, I've hosted people at my house who I knew only through the internet, but didn't know of their existence on BGG before they came by.

Anyway, I guessed on them though I would have preferred an "I don't think so" answer. :)

For the final question, I was lazy and guessed. :)

Update: I felt guilty so I looked it up--I was right on my guess: 5 guilds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I met the group host through BGG's find a user feature. Really glad I did too - I get the chance to play every month and usually play newer/different titles than I'd usually play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding number 2, I attended an event that I found out about first on BGG, I may have found about it anyway later, I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll even name names:

Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
came to may weekly gaming group through contact through the Geek.

John Baxter
United States
Denham Springs
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got him into contact with another local gaming group through the Geek when he was moving into town and posted looking for gaming. Once I meet him there I invited him over a couple times until he moved back out of town.

Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I invited from the Geek to one of my gaming weekends and they attended.

Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOt sure this counts. I contacted him through the geek, but I was given his contact info after he had already started gaming with one on may gaming buddies at the above mentioned gaming club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been to game nights hosted by others on the Geek and hosted in his place sporatically. I have built my current regular game group from the geek - only one person that I knew from before the Geek) and in turn, building friendships, as well, I feel.

The Milwaukee guild is a very active guild and alot of the people on the guild know each other or know each other through someone else. The guilds, especially that one, has been great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
12 guilds, but 3 of them don't have a post yet in 2009
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW,

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39746

The next one is tentatively Oct. 23-25, 2009. Ya'll are now invited
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an inactive member of 8 guilds. Just like facebook and Chit Chat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've hosted 2 people in my home that I met on BGG:

Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Although I had watched Scott's video reviews before BGG, but I had never communicated with him directly until BGG. As for Andy, I've had him over twice and really am anxious to do it again sometime. He's a great guy to game with, and our gaming tastes are really similar. I'm also hoping to game with a couple others who have expressed an interest in coming by:

Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I will gladly try to arrange a time to meet up with any of you if you're ever in my area.

As for question #2, I have attended one gameday that I learned about thanks to BGG, and I will be attending my second one next weekend. I may even be going to a third in May! Thank you BGG!

I belong to 11 guilds, and I try to remain at least slightly active in most of them. I belong to several guilds for the podcasts that I listen to. Then there's the ones that have to do with my interests (NFL and Bacon). And then there are a couple that I belong to because they are for game groups somewhat close to me and that's where I get to hear about gamedays that are near me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
BTW,

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39746

The next one is tentatively Oct. 23-25, 2009. Ya'll are now invited

That would be a nice birthday present for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be attending my first gaming convention ever here in Maryland thanks to BGG! Looking forward to a fun day in May.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I belong to a number of guilds, but I've yet to see a purpose for any of them, that couldn't be addressed in forums...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gamed with a couple of people at CABS meetings who I met here on BGG, but never at anyone's home. I've also met and gamed with some Geeks at Origins, but I've never arranged any specific meetups there.

I'm not actually currently active in any of the Guilds to which I belong, but I am occasionally active in a couple of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started a game group a couple of years ago with people I knew only from BGG... For the first few months I was hosting every week, then alternate weeks with another one of the group... I think the most I had in my (small) house was 16 gamers,.. only 1 or 2 of which I knew before.

Gamers I've met on BGG and had round to my house include:

brendannewell
chooi
darkskies
ed_the_red
xtrovurt
aforandy
citadel
deanrthomas
f1baron
G_man
Helixlab
laticpot
Max Michael
spillers
T-boy67
timbanana

There are also a number of people that don't have BGG usernames... who found our group from friends of friends or recommendations from game stores.
These include: John; Phil; Phil; Richard; Bruce; Kevin; Debbs; Myfanwy; Tim; Cathy; Alex

I've had no problems inviting gamers into my home... Our group has become too large for me to host, so we have had to find alternative arrangements, but I would not hesitate to open my home to gamers again.

As well as that, I am fortunate enough to have been invited into the homes of other BGGers for gaming... including blott; boltongeordie; Terraformer, laticpot and timbanana
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For #1: 3 times. All became group regulars and friends.

Once from another internet site. That went quite badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Nope to #1 or #2, but that is because I mostly meet people through my local board gaming meet-up.
I intend to go to both the WBC and BGG.Con this year, both of which I first heard of here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've hosted a few folk and would happily do it again.
If I was still in England I would try to worm my way into more people's houses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 I have happily had several BGGers over to my house but I honestly can't remember if I had them over before or after meeting at Cons. Then again I met them at Cons thanks to BGG.

Would love to do it more often too but the tyranny of distance (Australia is a long way from anywhere + Semi-Rural Australia is a long way from anywhere in Australia!) makes it rather difficult.

d10-2 No but only because of tyranny of distance. If I lived in the US or in Europe I'd likely be the kind of guy that would travel to attend Cons.

d10-3 I belong to 8 Guilds but only frequent 1 with any regularity. There is only time to select so many actions in this game of BGG!

The guild is SoccerGeeks F.C. by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My gamegoup that started last summer all met each other through BGG. Probably my favorite thing from BGG (which is saying a lot). I really like my gamegroup, and they keep inviting me back (I think only because I bring the Pizza though).

I have been to a local game group (Sacramento Game Meetup) as well I found out about on BGG, and I am on that guild.

My other guilds I am most involved with are the Diplomacy Dipbounced Guild (On-Line Diplomacy: I wish it were more active), and Soccergeeks F.C. with Neil above. I can talk other sports with my friends, but Soccer isn't as big, so having an outlet on the net with people who like it as much as I do, is a great benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I game frequently with a handful of BGGers, only one of them is someone I met through BGG right after moving. Went a long way toward making me feel welcome in this town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.