Subject: Leader casualties rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb
I was attacking across the Rio Grande with 4 leaders, an army and 14 units. Rolled a 7 and won the battle.

According the leader casualty rules, I rolled twice for the force commander both were over 5. Rolled once for each subordiate commander, all 3 were over 5.

Two were seriously wounded and put on the turn track in the seriously wounded box. Two were lightly wounded and put in the cup.

I soon realized the army had no leaders and was wishing at least one or more leaders had been killed, so I would have had a replacement leader to use.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The index references 3.2, 11.2g and 11.3 for Leader Losses.

Rule 3.2 (regroup/Leader Pool) does not mention leader loss (The index really needs to be scrapped and rebuilt).

Rule 11.2g (Efficiency and Leader/Artillery Loss)states:
Each player rolls one die, applies all applicable modifiers, and compares the modified roll to the Efficiency Roll column of the Battle Results table. Next to the result is a description of the troops’ performance. If a player’s Efficiency die roll was a natural ‘2’ or ‘7’, a Friendly leader loss is possible per 11.3. If the Mexican player’s Efficiency Die roll was a natural ‘9’, Mexico loses one additional artillery step (if
present); this step does not count towards determining victory.

Rule 11.3 states: Leader Loss. If a player’s Efficiency roll was a natural ‘2’ or ‘7’, roll the die for each Friendly leader, adding his Tactics Rating. An Army Commander may reroll this roll once. If the modified roll is 5 or higher, roll again and consult the leader loss Table. Santa Anna and Scott are treated normally for leader loss purposes.

A rule that is not referenced in the index but does deal with leader losses in armies is rule 15.1 (Retention) which states: Each Army needs at least one leader and one Unit. At all times, if the last leader in an Army is eliminated, then the Army marker is removed. When an Army is reduced to one leader as a result of leader loss in Battle, you may draw one leader from the leader Pool and place him in the Army. Santa Anna and Scott may not be so drawn unless in the pool because of leader loss. If all Units in an Army are eliminated, remove the Army, roll for leader loss (again), and place surviving leaders in the leader Pool. An Army marker removed for any reason may subsequently be rebuilt.

The rules do not address what happens when leaders are injured, only what happens when leaders are eliminated.

I like the leader casualty mechanic (not really "leader loss") in the game (it just needs to be worked out properly). The high casualty rate for the Mexican War is historical. What needs to be hashed out is what happens when the leaders get hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Welker
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You've really gotten hurt by the loss of leaders--this is a lesson--don't use them all in one force/army!! You are stuck for the balance of the turn but can activate single units.

The abstraction here is to imagine now the forces are disorganized... there are local level regimental leaders but they are only going to act in a discoordinated fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.