Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monster - you have to fight immediately

gate - throws you into the other world and leaves a monster in the location for you when you come back

monster and gate - you have to fight the monster, then the gate throws you into the other world and leaves a monster in the location for you when you come back.

am i correct? so the last one actually makes 2 monsters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Monster = monster appears that you have to deal with immediately. If you evade or are defeated, it disappears and does not count against the limits.

Gate = I don't think just a "gate appears" exists in encounters. So you should never have this condition - the thing most similar is "move to such and such and have an encounter"

Monster and Gate = The gate takes you to the OW immediately and you are delayed. You ignore the monster and it is left on the board. This condition only produces one monster (not 2 - unelss you are playing with more than 5 investigators).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian! We've had this discussion before. There is definitely one encounter that just says "a gate appears." I am of the belief that all opening gates add doom tokens and spawn a monster, and that this text was just an oversight during production (in the same way that some encounters say "stay here next turn" when they were supposed to be changed to "delayed." But play it as you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Is that the cursed Downtown location with founder's rock? Yeah, a vaguely remember it. I think it was an oversight. I would treat it as a "gate and monster appears" as the open gate should be spawning monsters and every open gate places a doom token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, we go with the same ruling... However one of the expansions adds in the phrase "a monster and a gate appears" instead of the more straight forward "a gate and monster appears". When this happens we have the unlucky investigator encounter the monster first and then after he has fought/evaded it the gate opens and swallows him into another world. It's down to your own preference I suppose, we like it that way. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David East
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Dunwich Horror Expansion rulebook (p.10):

Q: When a location card says a gate and a monster appear, which appearance is resolved first?

A: The gate appears first, and any investigators at the location are drawn through the gate. Then the monster appears. Monsters that appear as a result of these encounters stay on the board, count against the monster limit, can go to the Outskirts, etc., as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I get a "monster and gate appear" encounter and there's already a gate at that location, does a Monster Surge occur?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
AsGSnak wrote:
If I get a "monster and gate appear" encounter and there's already a gate at that location, does a Monster Surge occur?

I don't think this is possible, since I can't think of a way with official rules that you could have an encounter that opens a gate at a location with a gate, since the gate prevents you from having an encounter in the first place.

If you're playing with a house rule that allows encounters at locations with open gates, this is something you would probably have to decide yourself how to handle since FFG doesn't release rules errata for house rule variations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
dkarl wrote:

If you're playing with a house rule that allows encounters at locations with open gates, this is something you would probably have to decide yourself how to handle since FFG doesn't release rules errata for house rule variations.

I'd suggest having the monster surges happen, since that would (slightly) offset the benefits you have from being able to have encounters in locations with gates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Myers
msg tools
Quote:

This is a very possible scenario: Investigator has arrived back from the Other World and has placed an 'explored' token on the gate, preventing their entry back into the Other World. Investigator chooses to draw an encounter card so they may increase their stamina in the upkeep phase so that they have enough stamina to play the Elder Card (unique Item).

Encounter card indicates "A monster and Gate appear."

I don't know what the game designers had in mind, but I play this as an encounter card and therefore an encounter monster (only) which disappears after the encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brmyers1974 wrote:
Quote:

This is a very possible scenario: Investigator has arrived back from the Other World and has placed an 'explored' token on the gate, preventing their entry back into the Other World. Investigator chooses to draw an encounter card so they may increase their stamina in the upkeep phase so that they have enough stamina to play the Elder Card (unique Item).

I don't know what the game designers had in mind, but I play this as an encounter card and therefore an encounter monster (only) which disappears after the encounter.

According to the rules if there is a gate there you do not get to do the usual encounter from the location...

So according to the game designers this situation would never happened.

If using a house rule, well you decide, it's your house rule anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brmyers1974 wrote:
Quote:

Ummm... You would have to be playing a Variant to be able to have an Encounter in a Location with a Gate, so it's not really a very likely scenario. I'm not sure how your Encounter gives you 2 Stamina in the Upkeep Phase either - is that another Variant that you're using? Oh, and if you mean they can play their Elder Sign next Arkham Encounter Phase to Seal the Gate, well they could do that anyway, without needing to recover Stamina, because as it's a Loss not a Cost, they are allowed to Lose more than they have and go Unconscious as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brmyers1974 wrote:
Quote:

Rule book, page 8 wrote:
The action the investigator must take depends on whether his location contains an open gate or not.

Rule book, page 9: Gate wrote:
Once an investigator has entered a gate and returned to Arkham, the player places an explored marker underneath his investigator marker. While he remains in the gate’s location, he is no longer drawn through the gate, but may instead try to close or seal the gate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.