Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Dirk originally submitted the game to me it was for 2-4 players. As part of the playtesting process some weaknesses were found in the 2-player game, and since the 2-player game required extra pieces that made the game more expensive, Dirk and I decided to take the 2-player rules out.

Here's an amended 2-player game, that I (and some of my playtesters) feel works pretty well.

Each player need 20 trader markers. You can either play with a couple of colours from the box or steal some bits from another game - your choice.

Setup is the same except each player gets 20 traders, and sets up 10 of them when seeding the board.

Play is very similar - you get to take 4 actions each round, rather than the usual three, other than that it's identical.

Scoring is slightly different. When scoring the second city-state the winner gets to choose one of the two influence counters and discard the other - coming second in the second city-state is now worth nothing.

Other than those simple changes the game remains identical.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta say, it sounds almost interesting enough for me to give this game a go.

I'm sort of sad there doesn't appear to be a carry over from one round to the next. Did I misread your "press release" or do you really remove everything after a scoring round?

I suppose it does make sure nobody gets completely hosed. And it solves the "Through the Desert" problem of newbies getting screwed during the setup round...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya Sheamus,

I obviously didn't make things clear enough in the press release. All pieces remain on the board between scoring rounds. However, scoring well in one round doesn't mean you'll score well in the next. All players have the same number of pieces, and since whoever scored the most points in a round will have lots of their pieces in the city-states that were 'in ascendancy' last round the other players will have more pieces in the other five city-states. At the end of a round the three ascendant city-states are moved to the back of the line, in reverse order, so the person with the most traders in the top city-state last round will now have all those traders in the bottom city-state this round. This means they have to move those traders if they want to get points this round.

Hope this helps to explain how it works.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Yokomizo
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wished I read this before. Yesterday I tried the game with my wife, just to learn the gameplay, knowing it wasn't supposed to work for two players. I'll try it again today using this variant.

Is there any variant for five players? You could release a two/five player expansion with the missing bits. Another idea, in a second printing, in order to reduce costs you could use the same strategy the Metro publishers used: only two colors have 20 traders, another with 14 and the last one with 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.