Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Bulkley
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play Memoir quite a bit, most recently playing campaigns from the new book. So far, I've found the planes to be really underwhelming. They are generally so weak that I usually don't bother bringing one out. A few planes can't do anything but strafe, and strafing just isn't worth the risk to me. You can roll one die per hex, and if you lose an air check roll next to an enemy unit, they get a free medal! You can strafe two units to avoid that risk, but then you're getting very little attack power.

Ground support and ground interdiction can be more useful, but quite often the type of plane can't perform those actions (e.g. the Spitfire).

I was thinking it might help if we never gave medals for downed planes. It seems like losing the plane to an air check roll is punishment enough.

Would this cause a balance problem? Perhaps not, as strafe-only planes are weaker than the old Air Power action to begin with. For an allied plane to match the power of the old Air Power action, it would have to strafe three units on three straight turns (Allied Air Power gives 2 dice x 4 hexes, and strafing is 1 die x 3 hexes max).

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Garcia
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a seen an airplane doing 6 consecutive strafing runs, destroying 2 units, wrecking general havoc to other 4 units, forcing those same units to abandon sandbags, to finally just flying away unmolested! Just do not park your airplane near an enemy unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found them to be very helpful to pick apart units in situations where my troops or tanks aren't able to penetrate. I've never felt them to be underwhelming and I always take an opportunity to use them. However, I'm thinking of strafing in this particular regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bulkley
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red_zebra_ve wrote:
I have a seen an airplane doing 6 consecutive strafing runs, destroying 2 units, wrecking general havoc to other 4 units, forcing those same units to abandon sandbags, to finally just flying away unmolested! Just do not park your airplane near an enemy unit.

Yup, that's why I said "you can strafe two units to avoid that risk, but then you're getting very little attack power." I can certainly see a situation where a plane would have the kind of impact you describe, but I think it's the exception, not the rule. You're talking about a plane using 6 orders to attack 6 different units at 1 die per attack. Most other units would average more dice per order.

In any case, the question I was asking was about taking away the medal for a downed plane next to an enemy unit. Would it unbalance the game? I don't think it necessarily would, but I'm interested to hear what other people think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bulkley
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
decumanusmaximus wrote:
I've found them to be very helpful to pick apart units in situations where my troops or tanks aren't able to penetrate. I've never felt them to be underwhelming and I always take an opportunity to use them. However, I'm thinking of strafing in this particular regard.

That's a good point - they are useful for getting behind enemy lines. I completely agree there.

I think I chose the title to my post poorly. I'm not saying planes are never useful, just that they would be more useful if the air check never resulted in a medal for the enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like when my opponent brings out a plane (I usually play overlord) as I tend to know where some heavy card play is going to be in the next few rounds. I've found it rare that a plane comes out and is only used a round. Once the plane is out, the opponent usually likes to activate it for several turns (not wanting to lose it due to not activating it).
So that info, if the plane is left, I know there won't be much (if any) action on the right. Sort of like a reconcool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.