Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am using the artscow designer. Whenever I upload an image, it get an exclamation point and when I cursor over it I get this message:

Quote:

DPI=56 (not good for printing)
300 or above is recommended

What do I need to do to get it to 300 or above? I am using GIMP and JPG images that look very clear on the computer screen, even when larger than the size they will be printed.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Taylor
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The screen of your computer won't show nearly as high resolution as a printed image- images that look great on screen may be very pixelated on paper. The software is recommending 300 dpi- there is be an option in the GIMP to change this- I'm not really familiar with the software, but this link seems to explain it:

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/digital_image_r...

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Wells
United States
San Jose
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's not how clear the image looks on your screen, it's the size of the image in pixels that matters.

You didn't say, but I'll assume you're making custom playing cards. On the ArtsCow page, it says that these measure 2.5" x 3.5", and I think that the designer will give you a warning if your image isn't 300 dpi or higher. The abbreviation "dpi" stands for "dots per inch", but you can think of it as pixels per inch.

With a size of 2.5" x 3.5", that means (2.5*300) x (3.5*300), or a minimum size of 750x1050. On their page they actually recommend an image size of at least 780x1081. For all my playing card images, I go double that and make sure that they're all at least 1560x2062 (so my images are about 600 dpi).

So, make sure that your source image is at least that size. That 125x175 image might look very clear on your screen, but it's only about 50 dpi when printed on a playing card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:
I am using the artscow designer. Whenever I upload an image, it get an exclamation point and when I cursor over it I get this message:

Quote:

DPI=56 (not good for printing)
300 or above is recommended

What do I need to do to get it to 300 or above? I am using GIMP and JPG images that look very clear on the computer screen, even when larger than the size they will be printed.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

My opinion is that error messages of the kind you are seeing are throwbacks to the old ways of producing print output. It used to be that the print size was the pixel size of the image divided by the DPI value. Now-a-days, virtually all printing specifies a size and scales the image to fit. If the resulting DPI falls too low, the image is going to look grainy or "pixely". In other words, DPI used to be the way to define the print size. It generally isn't used any more.

So, if pixel size divided by the image size results in 300 DPI or more in both dimensions, you have nothing to worry about and may ignore the warning. If the program insists, just use an image editor to change the DPI value. If you don't resample the image, absolutely nothing will change about the image, except the annoying message will be gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.