Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this game is pretty dang boring and one sided. after our last game my buddy exclaimed, "I will never play this boring, F***ing game again! why don't they just call it Halo: UNSC Wins!"

With that remark i challenged myself to come up with a better system for this game. All the pretty bits deserve it. what i came up with is now called....

LEGENDARIER MODE!

Here it is. if anyone wants a doc or pdf copy of it send me a message. if enough people seem to like it i'll submit the file.

Weapon and Halo Card Tokens
Not Used.

Energy Stat
Applies when playing in Legendarier mode. The Energy number reflects the character's initiative and tells how many potential actions a character may receive when activated.

Weapon and Special Weapon Cards
In Legendarier Mode weapon cards are assigned to each character before the game begins. Each character is equipped with 1 weapon card. Each character is restricted to cards of its faction only.

In addition, each Faction is restricted in the number of special weapons it can equip to its team in any given mission. UNSC may never equip more than 1 special weapon and the Covenant may never equip more than 2 special weapons.

The following weapons are considered special weapons.

UNSC Covenant
Rocket Launcher Fuel Rod Cannon (Elites refuse to equip)
Sniper Rifle Beam Rifle
Energy Sword*

* Is considered a melee weapon with further special rules explained in the melee section.

Halo Cards

Halo Cards are shuffled and divided evenly among the players. After the Halo cards have been Shuffled and dispersed each player may review the cards they have been dealt and equip one to each character. Discard the remaining cards.

In addition, halo card abilities have been modified in the following ways.

Radar Jammer – The player announces that the character carrying the Jammer is using the Radar Jammer card during his activation. If the action is successful, that player wins all initiative rolls until the end of the characters next turn.

Cloaking – The player announces that the character carrying the cloaking device is using the cloaking card during his activation. If the action is successful, that character may not be the target of any attacks until the end of that characters next turn.

Invincibility – If an opponent attempts to strike or melee,
the defending player announces invincibility and is safe from the attack.

Bubble Shield – The player announces that the character carrying the Bubble Shield is using the cloaking card during his activation. If the action is successful, that character may not be the target of any ranged attacks until the end of that characters next turn. However, a bubble shield does not protect from melee attacks.

Grav Lift - The player announces that the character carrying the Grav Lift is using the Grav Lift card during his activation. If the action is successful, that character may place a Halo Card token in any adjacent space. That token counts as a one time use teleporter to any adjacent space.

Turns

Each Turn is divided into 3 Phase

Characters with 5 energy initiative check, declare intent and activate

Characters with 4 energy initiative check, declare intent and activate

Characters with 3 energy initiative check, declare intent and activate

Initiative Check
If two or more Characters have the same amount of energy an initiative check must be rolled. Each player rolls seven dice and compares the results. The player who rolled the highest amount of matching faction symbols wins the initiative and may activate one of their characters first. Play then alternates until all characters of matching energy have been activated.

Declare Intent & Activate
The Player states what his character would like to do and proceeds to roll a number of dice equal to his character's energy stat. For each die that rolled a matching faction symbol 1 action may be taken towards fulfilling his character's intent. No Character may do more than originally stated even if more actions were rolled, those extra actions are lost.

Example: Player 1 is going to activate Master Chief. Player 1 describes what Master Chief is attempting to do, “Master Chief is going to move up to that wall, jump out, shoot his assault rifle at your elite and jump back in.” Player 1 then rolls 5 dice because that is the number of Master Chief's energy stat. 2 dice matched the UNSC Faction. Player 1 Moves Master Chief 5 spaces towards the wall and 1 space out (Master Cheif's move is 6 spaces so 1 action was used). Player 1 then declares an attack for his second action. Master Chief's turn is then over because he has no more actions to spend. This means that Master chief may have left himself open for an attack because he did not roll enough actions!

Action/Cost List

1 Move
1 Ranged Attack
1 Activate Halo Card
2 Charge - move & melee
1 Ready*

*During the declaration of intent a player may declare a character is going to “Ready” at any time. This effectively wastes one of the character's action but allows the player to see how many actions are left available and use them more specifically. Example: Player 1 declares intent, “Master chief is going to move to that wall and ready.” Player 1 needs only to declare up until the “ready” and may see how many actions he has available from that point on. Player 1 must use 2 of his rolled actions to move and ready but may see how many actions remain and use them in any manor he chooses.

Character Moves
• A character piece can move up to the amount of spaces listed on their card. The character can move less if the player chooses.

• Character pieces can move either horizontally or vertically, and they can combine those directions in a move. They may make 1 diagonal move per action. Towers are regarded as a second level that can only be accessed by transporters or using a “Grav Lift.” A tower lid piece does not count as a second level.

• Character pieces can move through a space occupied by a teammate character. The occupied space is counted.

• Character pieces cannot move through an enemy character.

• Characters may jump down from a higher level to a lower level at the cost of all remaining movement for the action.

• If a character moves to a transport space, he will be teleported to the corresponding transport token with the matching number. The transport counts as only one space moved. You may use the character’s remaining moves after transporting.

• If there is an enemy character occupying a transport space, the moving character may move through the enemy character.

Melee

• At the end of a charge action, if a character ends a move on a space occupied by an enemy, the characters must melee.

• For all modes of game play (Normal, Heroic, and Legendary, and Legendarier!), the losing character is eliminated from the game.

• When using dice, each player rolls the amount of dice for the Melee value on the corresponding character card. The player with the most dice showing his or her team’s symbols wins.
If there is a tie, the defender wins and the attacker is eliminated.

• ”Bubble Shield” may not be used when attacked by melee.

• The Energy Sword is used during a charge action. Add the energy swords value to the character's melee stat. The Charging character Counts as being in melee from up to 4 spaces away. If the attack succeeds move the character to the defender's space.

Attack

• To attack, the defending character must be within range of
the weapon being used. Range is counted in as short a path as possible; horizontal, vertical, and 1 space
diagonally.

• There can be no obstacles like fences or towers in the direct line of fire, unless using a grenade. If counting a diagonal space, a character half exposed standing next to a tower or fence is
a fair shot.

• When playing with dice, the attacker should clearly state which character is attacking, which weapon is being used and who is being attacked.

• The defender must state whether he is using a Bubble Shield or Invincibility, before the attacker rolls the dice. If either item is used, the defender automatically wins. You cannot use a Bubble Shield or Invincibility after rolling the dice.

• When attacking while using dice, the attacker rolls the same number of dice for the character’s base strike, combined with the strike amount listed for the weapon being used. The defender rolls the number of dice for the shield amount on the character card.

• The team with the most corresponding symbols face-up, wins the attack (If the defender loses the defender is removed in Legendarier Mode). Please refer to the Game Modes section in the manual for Normal, Heroic, and Legendary rules regarding attacks.

• Characters can shoot up to a tower or down from a tower, but not over a tower. The one exception to that rule is grenades. A grenade can be thrown over a tower.

That's it. Questions, concerns? love it, hate it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Terry
United States
California
flag msg tools
Looks better on the surface than the original rules. The original rules do well for 10 year olds and make for a quick run of some very basic gaming. We will be play-testing this Legendarier Mode in our adult group soon and will provide feedback as applicable...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just saw your message, did you try it? what did ya think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonus Crouss
msg tools
Hey Ryan, me and my wife are trying these rules out and they are good for the most part but we have made some revisions. We are both avid halo players and are trying to mirror the rules on actual gameplay mechanics (as much as possible)

AP SYSTEM:: you dont get AP equal to the characters energy. Rather you start out with 1 base AP and you get 1 bonus roll AP at the start of the game for each character. We have also setup AP tokens on the map (using pennies) symbolic to getting better in halo or gaining more experience. Each token collected gives you 1 extra Max AP. You still have to roll to see if you actually get the AP but it just raises the number of dice you use in that check. Example: master chief has 1 Base AP and 1 bonus AP at the start of a new game. He declares he wants to "move and attack", rolls 1 die using his bonus AP to see if he can attack. MC rolls his faction on that bonus die and proceeds with turn as explained in your rules. DEVIATION: On his move phase he picks up a nearby AP token. Now on his next turn he can "move, attack then move" or any other 3 AP combo provided he rolls enough AP, since he has 3 Max AP now (1 base, 1 bonus, 1 picked up).
LIMITATIONS:
1) any 1 character can only have 2 bonus AP tokens equaling a maximum of 4 AP.
2) you cannot move twice in a row. Example of legal intents: Move, Attack, Move - Attack, Move, Halo Card, Move.
3) You cannot attack twice in 1 turn.

Weapon/Halo Cards::
We place the weapon cards on the map face up which represent weapon spawn points, so every player knows what weapons are on the map and where you get them. If you pickup a weapon you put the one you were holding down on the same square (allowing someone else to pick it up if they desire). HALO CARDS are placed on the map by both teams who must agree on the final placement. Halo items are random for now, but we are probably going to do the same thing as with weapon cards. Place them face up in agreed on squares so that everyone knows where they are and where to find them (just like in real halo)
NOTES/LIMITATIONS:
1) any 1 character can only have 1 special item at a time. Special items are Cloaking, Radar Jammer, Grav Lift, Bubble Shield, Invincibility.
2) any character can have up to 4 of each grenade type (just like in the real game)
3) Cloaking works as follows: if the character activating cloaking is planning on "moving" AFTER cloaking, they write down the direction changes they are planning on making( with respect to THEIR orientation and characters position (example 4 up, 2 left)), on a piece of paper which will be checked on the start of their next turn by the other team to verify it was a legal move. Example: Master Chief has 3 Max AP, (that's 1 base AP, 1 bonus AP, and 1 Token AP), they then declare "cloak then move" and proceeds to write down the coordinates of the "move" turn (lets say "2 left, 1 up/left diagonal, 3 up") and then rolls 2 dice to try and get enough AP for "move" action (since they get 1 AP base automatically they dont need to roll for the "cloak" action). They then take the character piece off the board as soon as the "cloak" action is activated. The character is now considered "invisible" and has technically moved to the secret square that the player wrote down on the paper and is also unhittable until the next turn.

ATTACKING
Each character maintains the use of their energy stat, but we use the difference rule. Example: MC is fighting arbiter. MC rolls 6, arbiter rolls 3. 6 - 3 = 3. Arbiter loses 3 energy leaving him with 2 energy for the next battle. This keeps things reasonable. A grunt with an upgraded weapon can do a good amount of dmg to a MC but most likely won't be able to 1sk him.

There's prolly more I'm missing but these are all I can remember from the 2 games we played last night. (one lasted an hour and a half of rules tinkering!) Suggestions are welcome. Hope not everyone has given up on this game. It's actually a really fun game once you make some good rules for it. Custom maps are awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm glad to hear your enjoying some of my ideas. I can't help but tinker with everything involving miniatures and love to discuss ideas. I like what you've done and if I get back to this game I'll definitely give it a try. In truth, I haven't played it very much at all and have been using the terrain for frag and Mutants and death ray guns (great military base).

I've considered converting frag to halo, I think frag is probably one of the better rule sets out there for FPS based miniature gaming.

Welcome to the geek and feel free to drop me a line anytime.

Happy Gaming to you and your wife!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.