Axis & Allies: Pacific» Forums » Variants

Subject: Opening Japanese attack rule change rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like so many who have played this game Japan has an unbalanced advantage that takes away from what can be a fun game. A simple adjustment to the Japanese opening surprise attacks can correct all that.

Japan First Turn

During Japan's first turn opening combat rounds only, attacks in a normal fasion, but the Allied units may defend only with a roll of 1 and Allied battleships are destroyed with 1 hit. All succeeding combat rounds of the first turn all units fight in a normal fashion.

This simple rule change ensures Japan can not get 40 IPC or close to that total without taking significant losses. Add the need for the Japanese to get 24 victory before victory and you have a very balanced and exciting game in the Axis and Allies tradition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I know of what you are attempting to improve upon with this, as just about every time someone breaks this OUT for the 1st 'times' with anyone unfamiliar with that, then yeah, it does seem overwhelming. Those folks usually disregard, or "play down" the FACT that "Japan" starts OFF with around 1/5th or lesser in TOTAL, for the amount of INCOME in comparisons, and many of those places that they feel are worthwhile for "going after" will generate NONE. The USA alone obtains more $$$ than ALL the others combined, and it were this FACT that you seemed to be "neglecting". Were the USA to SAVE 2 Turns worth of $$$ for ONE massive "buildup", if this were feasible at the time, then they could pursue varied strategies from what the current situation dictates. I can't foresee "Japan" taking anything such as a cautious approach, except perhaps where "China" were involved, and yes, they should be going ALL OUT everywhere else while they could. As it stands, then usually whenever I've taken "Japan", then I have managed to WIN by obtaining 24 Victory Points anyways. That meant going from 21 to 24 due to 'Conquests' and I would strongly urge you others to at least ATTEMPT bringing the "Japan" forces DOWN through the other methods available as well. I'd LOST my very 1st "Game" of this with myself having "Japan" due to that, so it does 'work' when properly employed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your assumption that I have played this game only a few times and don't understand the impact of US IPC and construction is wrong. I have played this game over 50 times at least 25 times with another opponent. I have won as both allies and Japan. The difference being when I won as the allies the Japanese played very conservatively and were fairly new to the game. On the other I have never lost as the Japanese except one time except when unblievable die rolls determined the game which can happen if one plays enough games. Regardless, The standard opening move for the Japanese will produce 40 IPCs about 65% of the time and if not will leave the Japanese with mid to high 30s IPC. The large Japanese airforce with a modicum of understanding use of the navy and armies will result in a win by the Japanese with 22 VPs, if not a conquest of India or Australia, before the US production win the day no matter how the US uses that production. China is just a side show that does not have any strategic difference no matter how many US bombers are flown it's way. I am sorry your arguments are not compelling and I still stand by my Japanese attack rule variant recommendation as a simple way to balance the game. As for changing the Japanese VP condition from 22 to 24 that may not be necessary given players of equal understanding of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Actually, MY 'assumption' pertained to and about YOUR 'opponents', and their 1st or initial trials with it all. I may presume that their trepidation is based mostly on NOT being as familiar with this for its entirety, so they tend to hold off, or shy away from widely diverging and exploring with many of the possibilities to pursue every means for 'Victory', as were their 'norm' in these circumstances. I should also inquire as to whether or NOT that YOU folks play this with the "amended" set up? That alone shall make quite the differences in this, as it curtails things from the onset. It really just depends on those involved and having them GAIN enough experience and confidence in whatever 'strategem' they chose to attempt in the first place, but also being flexible enough to REVISE that should developments allow on such. This follows true for either respective 'side' then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.