Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's been a few times when I've been checking out a game or another user's ratings & I've been struck that different people rate/rank games quite differently.

Me, personally, I give a rating of a single integer value such as 6, 7 or 9, etc. Just to keep things simple & let's face it, doing so gives me 10 different classifications which I can give an overall score.

Some people go a step further; they might say 8.5 - because they feel it's between an 8 & 9 for them. Which is fine, of course... I did this myself at one time, but found myself starting to give some strange numbers; 8.5 could become 8.4 or 8.6 if need be. But if you do that, you might eventually add on another decimal place!!!

So I stopped with the decimals & declared it off-limits after deciding that if a game is better than an 8, but not good enough for a 9 in my book, then it should be left as an 8 until I change my mind.

Recently, I've seen some examples where a user might give a game something like 7.3579 - why? Do they use some kind of category ratings & then take an average... or, quite simply, have a thing about numbers?

Then there's those who use A+, A, A-, B+... and so on - why? Why do they feel the need to rank games like a school paper; are they teachers struggling to shake off the day job mentality ?

I'm sure there's other examples out there. But it'd be interesting to hear how & why you rate/rank games the way you do.

Cheers,

Matt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to use the ratings as suggested by boardgame geek. So I really don't see the ratings as a scale. Each number has a pretty clear definition based mostly on how often you play (or want to play) a specific game. So I have no need for decimals, or anything else. If I feel a need to qualify beyond the meaning of the number I can use the comments for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like you, I used to employ decimals, but dropped them in favour of round numbers.

I also go by the values of the numbers as suggested by the BGG rating system:

Quote:
* 10 - Outstanding. Always want to play and expect this will never change.
* 9 - Excellent game. Always want to play it.
* 8 - Very good game. I like to play. Probably I'll suggest it and will never turn down a game.
* 7 - Good game, usually willing to play.
* 6 - Ok game, some fun or challenge at least, will play sporadically if in the right mood.
* 5 - Average game, slightly boring, take it or leave it.
* 4 - Not so good, it doesn't get me but could be talked into it on occasion.
* 3 - Likely won't play this again although could be convinced. Bad.
* 2 - Extremely annoying game, won't play this ever again.
* 1 - Defies description of a game. You won't catch me dead playing this. Clearly broken.

Over the past 18 months, this has led to exactly one 10, in my experience: Quoridor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
There's been a few times when I've been checking out a game or another user's ratings & I've been struck that different people rate/rank games quite differently.

Me, personally, I give a rating of a single integer value such as 6, 7 or 9, etc. Just to keep things simple & let's face it, doing so gives me 10 different classifications which I can give an overall score.

Some people go a step further; they might say 8.5 - because they feel it's between an 8 & 9 for them. Which is fine, of course... I did this myself at one time, but found myself starting to give some strange numbers; 8.5 could become 8.4 or 8.6 if need be. But if you do that, you might eventually add on another decimal place!!!

So I stopped with the decimals & declared it off-limits after deciding that if a game is better than an 8, but not good enough for a 9 in my book, then it should be left as an 8 until I change my mind.

Recently, I've seen some examples where a user might give a game something like 7.3579 - why? Do they use some kind of category ratings & then take an average... or, quite simply, have a thing about numbers?

Then there's those who use A+, A, A-, B+... and so on - why? Why do they feel the need to rank games like a school paper; are they teachers struggling to shake off the day job mentality ?

I'm sure there's other examples out there. But it'd be interesting to hear how & why you rate/rank games the way you do.

Cheers,

Matt...

I admit, I'm inconsistent. However, there are only two methods to my madness. I either step back and take a non-biased look in which I include my own personal opinion/tilt along with a bunch of other things, add together all those scores 1-10, divide by the number of items, and then that gives me a total which many times is a decimal.

The other times I just go by my personal opinion/tilt and rate it that way. These scores are far more opinion and have no real strength other than how I like or dislike the game. It could be the best game in the world but if I don't want to play it, it gets a terrible score. Occasionally I have liked a game so much (okay...once) that I disregarded my non-biased objective score, in regards for my fanboi crazed personal tilt...and gave something a 10.

That's out of character though.

So, sometimes I'm reasoning, objective, and unbiased.

The rest of the time it's madness...madness I say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a game that's a clear favorite above all the others. It gets a 10. Games that I like almost as much get a 9. Games that I really enjoy get a 7. That's my most frequent category: the mode, a math teacher might say. Then it goes down from there. Around about 4 are the games I don't like.

I don't really need anything but integers. Among the games rated a 7, maybe I'll like one better than another today, then the other one better than the first tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Grelis
Australia
Surry Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
and crikey!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give a X.5 score if I can't decide between the two whole numbers but I don't go beyond that. No X.25s or X.7936s, that way lies madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate rating systems that go from 1-10. I hate rating systems that allow for decimals even more.

Why? Simple. Yes, I might like game X a bit more than game Y - so? I could start rating Agricola 7.9, Coloretto 8.1, and so on, but what's the point? I wouldn't be spending much time differentiating between a 1.5 and a 1.6. How much does it matter whether Chutes and Ladders is ever so slightly preferred to Candy Land, or vice versa?

I go on a 1-7 rating. In the BGG system, I use 2-4, and 6-9. There's no such thing as "perfection" in my book, so I don't expect to ever use a "10".

2 is crap, 3 has some redeeming qualities, but I don't really care for it, 4 is below average for me, but probably works on some level, 6 is "average", decent to me, but not amazing, and I will willingly play these games at some base frequency (say, Settlers, a few times/year, but I'd never play it weekly), 7 is a good game - above average, about the level where I will voluntarily choose the game to play over others, 8 is highly enjoyable, and 9 is as good as it gets for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I bothered rating games, I used the "ekted" method, named such because he was the first person I saw propose it.

There are essentially four categories of games:

A - I will play anytime, and I will suggest it.
B - I will play anytime, but I will not suggest it.
C - I would rather not play, but I will if outvoted.
D - I will not play under any circumstance.

I transferred these into the BGG ratings of 8, 6, 4, and 2. Yes, it has the effect of clumping game ratings to those numbers, but the specific average rating a game has is virtually meaningless.

I would love to see the BGG ratings converted to this scale. It is infinitely more useful than the current numerical ratings scale which, as the OP mentions, is used differently by different people. The current method also tries to tie together "playability" with "desire to play", which are two completely different factors to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to go along with the BGG scale. I don't waste a lot of time wondering whether "this 8 is better than this other 8," though.

10: Best of the best.
9: Excellent
8: Great
7: Good
6: Decent
5: Bland
4: Irritating
3: Flat-out Bad
2: Terrible
1: [insert hyperbole here]

Given the state of the industry it's almost all 6-10 for me. I find that I rate games higher than the average user, but I'm also much less of a "sampler" type than many BGGers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been discussed in various threads before, but if someone is using a number like 7.3579 it may indicate that they are tracking their rating for a game over time.

When they first played the game they may have rated it a 9, later they changed the rating to a 7, then later a 5, and then a 3 (maybe a really bad experience?), but the current rating they are giving it is a 7.

I don't know if that is what this person is doing, but there are some folks who use this system.

Personally, when I use decimals it is to distinguish between games. A 7.25 is not an 8 (suggest it and rarely turn it down), but I like it better than all the other "7" games (good game, usually willing to play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Herman
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
The last time I bothered rating games, I used the "ekted" method, named such because he was the first person I saw propose it.

There are essentially four categories of games:

This is almost exactly the scale I use, although I scale games
A = 8-10 depending on how engrossed I get
B = 6-6.5 where 6.5 is probably a good game that gets overshadowed by something similar but better
C = 3-5.5 (where 3 is "will play if the alternative is sitting alone" and 5.5 is "my vote is against but I don't really mind"
D = 1-2.5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
* 10 - Outstanding. Always want to play and expect this will never change.
* 9 - Excellent game. Always want to play it.
* 8 - Very good game. I like to play. Probably I'll suggest it and will never turn down a game.
* 7 - Good game, usually willing to play.
* 6 - Ok game, some fun or challenge at least, will play sporadically if in the right mood.
* 5 - Average game, slightly boring, take it or leave it.
* 4 - Not so good, it doesn't get me but could be talked into it on occasion.
* 3 - Likely won't play this again although could be convinced. Bad.
* 2 - Extremely annoying game, won't play this ever again.
* 1 - Defies description of a game. You won't catch me dead playing this. Clearly broken.

I like the current descriptions of the rankings and I hope they don't consider changing them anytime soon.

That said, they seem to be biased toward people who have regular gaming groups. (Which may be most of BGG.) For someone who rarely gets an opportunity to play and has difficulty finding opponents, some of the descriptions make less sense. "...will never turn down a game" describes most of my collection frankly.

The other category that doesn't fit the current descriptions very well is solitaire games. Although its true that whenever I suggest them they never get turned down, I'm not sure they should all be rated an 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I take a pile of games and walk up ten steps of a staircase. I then throw them. The ones that land on the step closest to me are 10's, the next step are 9's, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who is substituting their own personal rating system for the offical one, thanks for making the ratings less useful for everybody.

Uh, I think a "1" should be best and a 10 the worst.
I don't like 10 point rating scales. I only go as high as 5.
I rate the a game the way my kid/granny/Unle Max would rate them.
I made up my own defintions for the ratings.
I only use odd numbers.
I give letter grades.
I hate the number 7. No game gets a 7.
I like to be precise so I go out 6 decimal places..
I want my favorite game to be #1; so Agricola and Puerto Rico get 1's.
I use a binary system. Like it or not.
I am an anarchist; I just randomly insert ratings to mess with the rest of you.

If we all use our own personal definitions and don't adhere to the official standard/rubric, we are just polluting the numbers. Quit peeing in the pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate based on a 1-10 system, integers only, following the BGG descriptions. Those descriptions make things odd at the end of the scale: a rating of 1 doesn't necessarily mean that I hate a game with the fire of 1000 suns, but does mean I think it's "broken" or not really a game. So I rarely give that rating, and the games I loathe most usually get a 2.

Generally, 4 and below are the games I actively avoid playing, and games I like enough to own myself start at 7.

The language of the 10 rating has made me very sparing with it; I feel a game that gets a 10 should not just have won my love, but should have demonstrated staying power. My personal unwritten guideline for this is that no game should be promoted to a 10 until I've known the game at least a year and played it at least 25 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I use whole integers based on the 1-10 scale, and use the following slight variation of the BGG guidelines:

10: Outstanding game. One of my all-time personal favorites.
9: Excellent game. Always a pleasure to play. Shines under most circumstances.
8: Very good game. Rarely disappoints me. High on my request/recommend list.
7: Good game. Usually willing to play. I might even request or recommend it.
6: OK game. Some fun or challenge at least. Enjoyable in the right circumstances.
5: Average game. I'm indifferent, but may be willing to play.
4: Below average game. I avoid playing and would need to be persuaded.
3: Poor game. Will strongly resist playing.
2: Very poor game. I refuse to play this.
1: Dead game. Seriously negative entertainment value. Black Hole of Fun.

But based on some of the other comments here, I may tweak the descriptions somewhat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the ratings strictly as suggested by BGG. The only rating I have some difficulty is "5 - Average game, slightly boring, take it or leave it". It's the only one that doesn't have much meaning to me, so I give a 5 when "well, it's not quite a 4, and definitely it's not a 6... it must be a 5!"

Problem is, I have too many games, and I'm easily distracted by the new ones, therefore I don't play my highest rated games as much as I would like, and so I feel kind of guilty for having rated them so high in the first place.

I've heard of users that use the BGG ratings with a method of their own, with separate scores for different aspects of the games, then average them in an overall score... this seems not right to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I follow the BGG system, but I use single-digit decimals. Why? Because many games fall in between the categories as listed by BGG. If it's a game that I always want to play, and suspect that some day that might change if I get to play it repeatedly, but doubt that will ever happen, then it's above a 9 but not a 10. It's relatively easy for me to rate most games along the lines of "well, I would always choose game A over game B, but I'll never turn down a game of either. On the other hand, I probably won't suggest either unless influenced by other situations, so while neither deserves an 8, they're both higher than 7... so we'll call B a 7.4 and A a 7.6."

Take that logic to several dozen games and you end up with a pretty straightforward system that needs more division beyond 10 or 20 points, so a single decimal gives me 100 divisions and makes the choices simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Humble apologies for "peeing in everyone's pool", but I'm afraid I don't follow the official BGG rating system because a) it never occurred to me when I first started rating my collection that there was an official way, b) the ratings system as it stands doesn't
mean a lot to me, largely because willingness to play games isn't much of an issue for me. I rate games subjectively, based on how good I think the games are. E.g. I think the Ticket to Ride games are pretty good but not outstanding. Europe and USA I rate 7.5, and then because I think Marklin is a bit better I rate it 7.75. I don't rate it 8 because I have other games I rate 8, which I think are better. Shame on me.

I think there's a thread somewhere which explains better than I could why, statistically speaking, this is nothing for people to worry about. I would suggest that anyone who's head is done in by the failure of every BGG user to follow the one true way, that they may be fighting a lost cause, and, dare I say it, should probably lighten up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I follow the BGG rating system, and while I recognize that there will never be complete compliance with that, I do wish people would try. The point of rating games at this site is for the use of *other* people, not to remind ourselves what we think of the game. It will be most useful to other people if we're all trying to use the same scale. People who use the rating system they *wish* BGG would use, or artificially impose a distribution on their ratings, are essentially contributing to the community ratings that do not reflect what they really think of the game. Why do that?

Fractional ratings do serve one purpose, though. For analysis that uses ordering rather than rating, it provides more A > B information.

I also note that the recommend rating guidelines confusingly includes both quality description AND wants to play, so a user using "how good they think the games are" isn't really departing from the guidelines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Frank
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the suggested BGG rankings, with the slight modification that a 10 is a game I still expect to be playing 10 years from now, even if it's not something I'll want to play all the time.

It makes me sad that the suggested ratings scale pretty much eliminates the use of the 1 rating, however. Marvel Heroes, in my opinion, deserves the very lowest rating possible--I would literally rather work five hours of unpaid overtime than play it--but it's not by any means broken and it's clearly a game.

I like dcorban's suggestion:

Quote:

and I wouldn't mind seeing that added along with the ratings BGG already has, i.e., show the percentage of people who rate the game an A/B/C/D on that scale on the game's page.

I don't stress out over what system people use when rating their own collection because a game's aggregate rating isn't nearly as interesting to me as individual ratings.

When I see a game I'm interested in, I look at the comments and the other ratings of people who really like and dislike that game. I compare their ratings to my own outliers. That is, if you rate Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) and Arkham Horror a 10, then I don't care about your opinion. If, on the other hand, you rate Genoa and Metropolys highly, your opinion of the game I'm looking into will carry a lot more weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the BGG system pretty much as suggested though I consider 9/10 to be variations on a theme; i.e.: great games that are fantastic which I always want to play with the 10s just being a special award that I hand out to 9s which have been played into the ground (48 hours or 48 plays depending on whichever is more reasonable).

I use just the 1-10 scale without decimals because I think a higher granularity would take too long to deal with and frankly, wouldn't add much of use to me or the people who are reading my rankings. I can at least see the case for .5, but I think anything beyond that is borderline insane. I think having a lower granularity (i.e.: A, B, C, D, F) would be too limiting for me, because the 10 ratings have definitely taken on certain chracteristics in my mind, but going beyond that seems like it would create more work than fun for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
em m
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My rating system

This is my made-up rating system that I use:

10 - I don't see myself ever giving out a 10. Although it is possible to get a perfect 100% mark, so maybe one day I'll give one out.

9.0 to 9.9 - Same as a 8.0+ game, but with multiple games under my belt.

8.1 to 8.9 - An excellent game that I personally like a lot and find myself really enjoying each time I play.

8.0 - Any game that I think is very well done with no major flaws, including games that aren't my style.

7.1 to 7.9 - A method to further rank 7.0+ games.

7.0 - My baseline for ranking games. On a first-time play, I'll give most games this ranking and make adjustments later.

6.0 to 6.9 - Games that are flawed, but still playable some of the times.

Under 5.0 - Destined to be traded.

The reason I would rate something with a decimal point is because I feel that it is notably better/not-as-good as other games in the same range.

I also use decimal points so that 8.1-9.0 games show up together on my personal game rating distribution bar chart on my profile page.

Note: Somehow some of my games played didn't "take" with the old way of recording games - so my numbers are off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Herman
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
For anyone who is substituting their own personal rating system for the offical one, thanks for making the ratings less useful for everybody.

If we all use our own personal definitions and don't adhere to the official standard/rubric, we are just polluting the numbers. Quit peeing in the pool.

Sorry. Please post the neural dopamine levels that correspond to "very good" vs. "good" to you and I will adhere to those standards in my future ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very good question sir.
I go for something along the lines of....

10: The bestest game.
9: Brilliant
8: Classy
7: Good but not great
6: S'alright
5: Meh not so good
4: Poopy
3: Ugh

Dunno if I have less than a 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.