Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a new avatar to honor my dad Robert I. Herron Jr. who was in the XXI corps HQ in WWII. I had been playing Fields of Fire so much I thought it would be a cool idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us who recognize avatars, but don't necessarily remember the associated name, what was the old avatar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
what was the old avatar?

Bullwinkle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Moose everywhere are feeling pretty dissed right now. You may consider purchasing a microbadge to smooth things over.

What was his unit's nickname?

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! Hi, I know you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Sag.,
I don't know. I just remembered the patch. I looked it up on the web just today when I found out it was the 21st corps. Dad passed away in 1979. I would have to do more research on it. All I remember now was dad was a 2nd Lt. The story I remember the most was when Patton told him to straighten his hat in an inspection out in California when they were training for North Africa, Dad was sent to Ft. Still Ok. to artillery school after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Moose everywhere are feeling pretty dissed right now. You may consider purchasing a microbadge to smooth things over.

Sag.
I sure hope HE don't THEN hang out with the likes of that Gov. Palin or Cheney! that DICK surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice Steve! I have always been a fan of Moose n Squirrel but I prefer the new avatar! I will be keeping an eye out for XXI corps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
sherron wrote:
Dad was sent to Ft. Still Ok. to artillery school after that.

I live in central OK and enjoy hiking in the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Preserve. This is adjacent to Ft. Sill, and many times I've been out there I have heard the booming of artillery practice into the granite mountains. Apparently, the mountains serve as adequate backstop for large rounds.

I don't know which air base is nearby, but I have also seen practice bombing runs from small aircraft at the Wichita Mtns. I don't know what they drop, but it looks like large sacks of flour or chalk?

Anyway, cool avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great tribute.

I'd think about doing the same. But my dad served 1960-1962, on an Atlas missile base in New Jersey...nothing too thrilling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done Steve. I've thought about doing something similar for my father, who served in Vietnam. He was a pilot and his squadron used two different patches. Trying to decide which to use is tough.

I did my time flying during the first Gulf War. Think I'll save my personal patch avatar for my Geek sons to use... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other story dad told was that he was standing by a road at the end of the war when a vehicle full of Russians pulled up next to him and one started eyeing his watch. He thought he was going to get jumped by them to steal his watch but he said a bunch of his buddies pulled up in a jeep and one of them said "Need some help Bob?". As I say I don't know if his unit had a nickname since he was in a corps head quarters. Thanks for all the tumbs, tips, and kind words you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
. . . on an Atlas missile base in New Jersey...nothing too thrilling.

Thank God for that.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
sherron wrote:
I have a new avatar to honor my dad Robert I. Herron Jr. who was in the XXI corps HQ in WWII. I had been playing Fields of Fire so much I thought it would be a cool idea.

It's cool to honor the old man like that! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
falloutfan wrote:
Is your father still living?

sherron wrote:
Dad passed away in 1979.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to hijack Steve's thread, but I liked his idea so much it prompted me to get off my keester and attempt something similar. Not sure how it looks just yet, takes some getting used to... laugh

For those wondering: my previous avatar was the yellow Roman Meeple Legionnaire.

Thanks for the great idea Steve! Here's a little
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
Not to hijack Steve's thread, but I liked his idea so much it prompted me to get off my keester and attempt something similar. Not sure how it looks just yet, takes some getting used to... laugh

For those wondering: my previous avatar was the yellow Roman Meeple Legionnaire.

Thanks for the great idea Steve! Here's a little

Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
Nice!

Thanks Bill. It's already growing on me... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:

Aww... I'm going miss him.

Looking good though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.