Popular Tags: [View All]
Lauren Lazar
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
I just finished playing Amun-Re for the first time and we had an awesome time playing! (Luckily I was able to play it with 4 other people as I've heard it's really best with the full 5 players. After having played I can see why!)

Anyway, after playing, we had two questions that we couldn't quite figure out the answers to from the rule book. I'm hoping that someone on here can help clarify!

1) During the bidding phase of the game, if someone is outbid on the first province that they bid on, then go to bid on a different province but are subsequently outbid AGAIN by a different player, can they return to bid on the province that they ORIGINALLY bid on? The rules only say that the player cannot bid on the province that they are moving from. We interpreted this to mean that they cannot return to ANY province that they have previously bid on but we may have inferred wrongly.

2) When a province comes with bonus building stones does the player who acquires this province have to use them to build on that province or can they take them into their posession and then place them on any province they own during the subsequent building phase? I had thought that the player would have to use them to build on the province that they came on but there was some disagreement on this within my group of friends.

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
laureneve wrote:

1) During the bidding phase of the game, if someone is outbid on the first province that they bid on, then go to bid on a different province but are subsequently outbid AGAIN by a different player, can they return to bid on the province that they ORIGINALLY bid on? The rules only say that the player cannot bid on the province that they are moving from. We interpreted this to mean that they cannot return to ANY province that they have previously bid on but we may have inferred wrongly.

Yes, you can go back to your first choice, which means sometimes you want people to out-bid you so you can change your choice.

laureneve wrote:
2) When a province comes with bonus building stones does the player who acquires this province have to use them to build on that province or can they take them into their posession and then place them on any province they own during the subsequent building phase? I had thought that the player would have to use them to build on the province that they came on but there was some disagreement on this within my group of friends.

You have to use the bricks in the province you got them in. Those bad boys are heavy and you don't want to be dragging them around too far...

Malcolm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.
mb
I agree with Malcolm's answers, so I have nothing to add other than I am happy to see another Amun-Re fan. It's a fantastic game that no one talks about anymore. It's one of those games that after 5 plays you understand it more, then after 10 plays, you see all kinds of things you never realized, then after 20 plays you see a whole new depth. It really is a brilliant game.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Lazar
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses! I totally agreed with the part about not wanting to drag around the heavy stones! haha I told my friends exactly that but they weren't as into the "real life" practicality of it as I was!

I'm interested to see how things play out differently when we try things out by bidding properly. Actually, when we started the game, we made an even bigger mistake in that we thought that if you were outbid you had to move to an EMPTY province. This obviously made for very short auctions and people who got provinces for very cheap prices, usually with one person ending up very unhappy.

I definitely can't wait to play this game again. At the beginning of the game I was trying to figure out the best strategy but then by the end of the game I was really starting to wrap my mind around all of the different layers of strategy that could be applied to this game. Hopefully it won't be too long before I have a decent number of people to play this game with again. (It does seem like it might be lacking a bit with only 3 since so many provinces would be left out.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Amun-Re with 4 and it worked. It's definitely at its best with 5. I wouldn't recommend it with 3, it would be too likely to get scoring cards that you couldn't use.

If you have trouble finding opponents you can play by email at spielbyweb.com. It's one of my favourite games but since it's hard to find 4 people to play with, the vast majority of my games have been played online. Happy pyramid building!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.