Gregory Bay
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
RattleSnake

I am a game collector in the sense that I collect games solely for the purpose of having different games that folks like to play. My favorite games, if you were to look at my ratings withing my collection, are games of some depth and strategy. I like to sit down for a couple of hours and play a game that challenges the brain. Not everyone likes to play that type of game and not everyone likes to play that type of game all the time. There are many times when one does not have the time to invest in a longer game as well and this is where RattleSnake and games like it come in.

RattleSnake is a great game to either introduce folks to different aspects of games and gaming, play with children, or just to sit back and play a simple game with some friends.

OPENING THE BOX AND FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

The box that Rattlesnake comes in is very attractive and catches the eye of both children and adults alike. Many times upon seeing the box folks will ask, "Rattlesnake, what is that?" My response is, "A game where you are trying to get rid of snake egg magnets." The game is appealing both with content and art.

Upon opening the box you will see a snake board covered with all different colors of snakes writhing together upon the board, as well as a tray with 12 large egg sized magnets, one dice pasted with the different colors of snakes, and the rule book.

My first impression of what I saw and laid my hands on was great! This first impression carries over with almost every person that I have introduce this wonderful little game to. This is one of those games that both adults and children see and are drawn to and for that reason I usualy always have this one on me because someone is going to want to play this game.

COMPONENTS AND THEIR QUALITY:

This game gets played a lot and many times there are children involved in the game play at one point in time, and with a game with high playability and children involved the question of quality always arises.

The board itself is your standard mounted board, colorful, and of good card stock. In Rattlesnake I see this as the weakest part of the game only for the fact that with constant use these boards always wear out, and they always seem to wear out faster when children are involved. As I said this component is the weakest in the game but it would be the weakest in any game. My board has seen a lot of use but it is still in great condition just because I make sure that it does not get abused.

The magnets are high quality and are the heart of the game. I have seen them get dropped, rolled, abused, and played with and they just keep going. They are good sized with is a joy with this game because they are just fun to play with, and children find them easy to handle with smaller hands because of their size.

The die is made of plastic with stickers of the different snakes stuck to the side of it. Functional and very easy to see. Many times with games of color the colors are hard to see depending upon the background color, but with the white background on the die the snake colors are easy to see even in dimmer light.

Overall the components are great and will stand up to much abuse and play. The magnents are the heart of this game, and I could see people buying this game just to play with the magnents. Great components.

RULEBOOK TEACHING AND LEARNING:

The rulebook is a nice sheet of glossy 8.5 x 11 folded in half. Meaning? Easy to read, learn, teach, and play.

Simple and accessible to all.

GAMEPLAY:

Gameplay consists of each player recieving a number of magnets determined by how many players there are, determine a start player, and during each players turn they roll the die and lay an egg on the matching snake color in an effort to get rid of all their eggs. The first player to be eggless wins.

During a players turn if any eggs snap together that player has to take all those eggs into his hand as well as if any eggs are pushed off of the board.

This is the heart of the game.

There is some dexterity involved in placing your egg and trying to not attract other eggs but the dexterity is not complicated for children or to easy for adults. This game promotes a level playing field for all who play and this is a plus in any game collection. More times than not in a mixed game kids win over the adults and then there are times an adult will win.

The game plays in just a few minutes so if you did not win play again, and again, and again. Also keeps the attention of those with samll attention spans and great to play in those moments when you are waiting play another game, or for the players to show up.

PRO'S AND CON'S:

Pro's
1. Accessible.
2. Great components.
3. Attractive theme.

Con's
1. I mentioned the board earlier and I do not see this as a con because like all board games just take care of it.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

A great, accessible game all around. If you are looking or want a game for a mixed group right here you go.

My Board Game Geek rating 8 out of 10 and I think that will go higher.

What say you?

Thank you,
Gregory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to add that if I recall correctly, the different snake colors all have unique appearances, so it's also colorblind friendly, making it very accessible all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Bay
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yes! The game is colorblind friendly as well because each colored snake has its own appearance. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review!

I regularly bring Rattlesnakes to conventions and parties. It's a great dexterity party game, very accessible to non-gaming adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.