Popular Tags: [View All]
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakon was one of the first games I bought since actively participating in BGG. I enjoy D&D and this looked like a fun quick game. Alas my first game proved to be nothing special. My girlfriend didn’t like it, and the D&D’esque theme did thrill her either. Maybe it wasn’t for two players; maybe it wasn’t a good game. Drakon took up residence on my gaming shelf with its sole purpose now of looking pretty.

Bring on the Gamers!

When a mate from our RPG group said they were having board game night at the local games club I just had to go – I’ve not been down for a while due to clashing commitments, which is a shame considering I have this great weekly games club virtually on my doorstep!

But I digress. There were three of us at the table. The first part of the evening was taken up with Settlers of Catan, first time I’ve played it and it seems a great game. But with just over an hour to go we decide to move on. Too late for Runebound, Talisman or Ticket to Ride my mate spots Drakon in my bag. I explain the basics, place a tile or move and take the associated action for the room, and he says lets give it a try as he’s not played it before.

First game was just a rules learning process.
Second game and we were getting into it but what we thought was a major hole in the game system came up. The situation is basically a winning loop where you have a Teleport room next to a gold room. Gold, teleport, gold, teleport, etc. While that game ended quickly we were all now aware of this and had our counters at the read, be it the cog room, harp room, destroy room or pure and simple moving Drakon into the teleport room.

So now game three, and what happens when you put a simple strategy game in front of three hardcore aggressive strategy gamers. Answer: lots of fun! We just countered each others moves all over. We didn’t even need to resort to moving Drakon, he just sat quietly in a corner. Steal gold, turn rooms, all those counters I mentioned, we played them all. So Drakon, which is supposed to go on for about 20 minutes, took us 45 minutes as two players both faced gold rooms for the win with the third player the option of only stopping one of them.

This game is so much more than my first impressions. It’s not a good two player game, I hold to that opinion, but with three players, three gamers, it was great. I can only imagine how good it would be with 4-6 players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kowalczyk
United States
Somonauk
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree completely. This game takes a few plays with more than 2 people to really appreciate. After you learn how to place the tiles it is a very competitive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the more the merrier for sure.

I don't even like it as 3 player. Still way too boring. 4 plus is required. Tried it with multiple characters per player but it's not satisfying at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakon is fun????
Ugavine wrote:
.... I can only imagine how good it would be with 4-6 players!
The answer with 4 or 5 (I forget which) is bloody awful, because you can always block a potential winner.
Broken. Abandoned. Ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
Ugavine wrote:
The answer with 4 or 5 (I forget which) is bloody awful, because you can always block a potential winner.

Wow. Totally disagree with this sentiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
misteralan wrote:
Ugavine wrote:

Wow. Totally disagree with this sentiment.

You're welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear things like it is broken with to many people and I just think " hmmm I guess no one in that group is smart enough to pull off the win " - cause I think this is a great game, yes it is harder to win with more people there, but um throw a gold coin in the middle of the next room and try and get it with 2 friends - the fight will last a few minutes I would reckon, now add 3 more friends and the time should double to triple if they are anything like my friends - so almost any games takes more time and gets harder to win with more people, I think some people call that competition?

Bossko - I agree I really enjoy this one with 3 or more people. I like it with 2 people also but I am a gamer at heart and am happy playing almost any game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i bought the game last week and played a 3 player game last night. it took 30 mins but we had a teleport next to 2 gold rooms. we soon racked up lots of gold. on the 2nd game i tried to be a bad guy and disprupt play by destroying the teleport card but the other 2 players just kept collecting gold and never did anything else so the whole game ended up being boring. i have even looked at making sure we played the game correctly ........ to sum up dont play this game with people who only like games of luck and have no tactical ability in their brains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keighleyrob wrote:
i bought the game last week and played a 3 player game last night. it took 30 mins but we had a teleport next to 2 gold rooms. we soon racked up lots of gold. on the 2nd game i tried to be a bad guy and disprupt play by destroying the teleport card but the other 2 players just kept collecting gold and never did anything else so the whole game ended up being boring. i have even looked at making sure we played the game correctly ........ to sum up dont play this game with people who only like games of luck and have no tactical ability in their brains.

I'm confused by your warning at the end.

It seems like they played perfectly well. They took a tactically advantageous situation and exploited it and avoided disrupting this with unlucky things happening by adding new rooms.

Seems like they knew exactly how to play to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no they didnt. they just put coin squares down and the other put a teleport down next to it. it was not by choice it was blind luck, they didnt even realise they had done it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Please jog my memory.
I had a game on the megadrive, but cannot remember the title: a warrior, an elf, a wizard and a woman. There were loads of skeletons etc and they had to find the key to get to the next level.
Mental block 1
For some reason, the description of this game triggered the memory of that game I am thinking of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diablo?

Just kidding.

Could it have been Advanced Heroquest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Gauntlet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed Gauntlet.

Reading this thread, I have to join the camp who thinks Drakon is pretty daft on 2 players, but starts rocking at 3 and really at 4. The whole idea of the game is that each player has 2 potential blockers, and he must be as un-obvious as possible and never place himself in a broken position. Becoming "The Winning Guy" at the wrong moment is to buy yourself a loss in the end.

Gold is still earned in a higher rate than it is lost, and while you might go for a win, you are forcing the other players to use moves to block you. Place tiles and move accordingly. I have played this an immense number of times and it's one of those few games where all players can sometimes just stop up, look at each other and then start laughing because everyone just realised that the ONLY way to stop player C from winning is for everyone else to place themselves in impossibly vulnerable positions, or that played D just happened to do an un-blockeable winning move because player A had done something to block player B.

Amazing game. I vastly prefer to play with each gold coin worth just 1, and play by the rule "Either 6 gold, or 4 gold and in the starting room to win."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Thanks for jogging my memory : yes, Gauntlet. All I could remember was that it begun with a "G" laugh

I am sorry to hear that it is not much fun as a two-player : as I was about to place an order for it. Well, it is now off my list.

Kind regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.